Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Nice to see this, and I'm enjoying your style and gameplay commentary. All the past FM Let's Plays went for narrative, but I find this gameplay approach much more interesting. It's nice to be able to understand the workings of such a complex game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

habeasdorkus posted:

Before the season started, I fiddled with our tactics slightly. As you can see, we're not well versed in our tactics yet, and that could seriously cost us in the early going- especially as the squad also has to gel into a coherent team. This tends to be my biggest problem when I'm trying to raise my team to the top levels. I not only use young players that grow into their talent over the season through regular play but I also have a lot of player turnover. That results in early stumbles, as the younger players adjust to a higher level of play if we've been promoted and the new arrivals get used to playing with my tactics and their teammates, and it's something every manager should be aware of when they're reshaping their team.

Familiarity with your fellow teammates (in Portuguese, entrosamento, the "mesh" of the team) was widely regarded by legendary Brazilian manager João Saldanha as the single most important aspect of football. Saldanha is known for creating the Brazilian national team that would go on to win the 1970 World Cup and be considered the best team of all time*. In his newspaper column, Saldanha would often analyse match outcomes and predict team performances based solely on how well and for how long the players had been playing together, and he was pretty much always right. It's a perspective so many people have forgotten. It was weird seeing people think Brazil had any chance of winning the 2006 and 2010 World Cups when the players had been brought together for half-assed training like one month before the competition. Since 1966 we know this just doesn't work out, but it's scary the amount of people who are utterly convinced that a team made up of 11 excellent players that don't know each other at all is still an excellent football team. See: how people were stupefied that Ronaldinho didn't play all that well for Brazil in these World Cups – "but he plays so well in Barcelona, this doesn't make sense!" Of course it does, that's his team, goddammit.

* the also legendary Mário Zagallo was the one who actually managed that team during the WC, but he took over just a couple of month before the competition after Saldanha left for political reasons. It's hard being an out-of-the-closet communist when your country is a dictatorship undergoing the equivalent of a McCarthyist regime.

• Locked thread