Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Hey Hab - FYI, it's the Champions League, no apostrophe. Its a league made up of Champions, not a league belonging to one Champion. Sorry to get a bit pernickety, but it kinda irritates me seeing you spell it wrong all the time!

Great LP though, really enjoy reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Well, if my rear end Man thinks he was wrong, I can't really argue. Part of the problem is the match engine is terrible at showing you exactly what happened on a foul, in this case it looked like Cirjak committed a foul but not one that deserved more than a yellow. He was behind the other player, but didn't even leave his feet and the contact seemed minor.

A professional foul is an offence that means deliberately fouling an opponent who is in an advantageous position e.g. clipping their ankles to make them fall over after they've dribbled past you or pulling them down via their jersey when they are through against the goalkeeper. It doesn't require any dangerous conduct to be a red card. Generally it's a yellow and is quite common in the modern game, you see it all the time when players 'accidentally' trip others in midfield after they've beaten them with neat footwork or a clever one-two etc., but if the foul prevents a potential goalscoring opportunity then it's a red card.

Incidentally, the name comes from back in the 19th century when amateurism was still quite prevalent in football - the idea being that an amateur player always plays fair even if an opponent bests him, whilst only a professional who needs to win in order to keep his job would resort to such dirty tricks.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 10, 2014

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

That leads to more chances from other Inter players, but they aren't half the players that Rados is and those go for naught. So when Shahed Parr scores an all time golazo in the 68th minute it restores the lead. It's a monstrous drive hit from roughly 70 yards away, and it's the longest range goal I've ever seen in Football Manager.

poo poo! Did you see that? He must have a foot like a traction engine!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

How does Kais Roussi look? I remember him looking like a really great signing way back and one of the first potential star youths you poached, but he seems to have been disappointing any time he gets a chance in the first team.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Start every response to an interview question with "Aw, look mate...."

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Reminds me a bit of Bayern last year - they cruised in the Bundesliga playing incredible football and won the title on the 25th March with an insane record of 23 wins, two draws and no defeats. Then they immediately clearly took their foot off the gas, in their next three league games they lost twice and drew once and the complacency infected their European form as Real Madrid hammered them in the CL semis.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

If there's something I'm overlooking, point it out!

To be eligible to win the Goon Cup title, you have to use the Pyramid formation for at least one complete half during any one game in the tournament.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

If I win everything I'll have to consider what to do. Five titles in six years matches the best runs of Liverpool (1979-1984) and Manchester United (1996-2001), and no team has won three straight European Cups since Real Madrid won the first five years in a row under a much different format (straight two-legged knockout tournament, fewer teams).
Ajax and Bayern Munich both won three European Cups in a row in the 70s.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Stringel's penalty was terrible! Not that anyone is complaining.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Do an Alex Ferguson - get Wrexham to hire a friend of yours who you know is an inferior coach so will make your achievements look even better, turn up at every match in stands so TV cameras can cut to you all the time and the commentators can make jokes like "Well, if only he was still managing the team they wouldn't be having these problems, right? Ha ha ha" subtly undermining the authority of the current manager, and write a book that slags off all your great players and calls them egotistical twats who would've been nothing without your genius mentorship.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Those people all got fired for being old and/or terrible first.

Jimmy Johnson resigned and left the Dolphins after winning a playoff game. Twice, actually (first time Marino convinced him to stay).

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Which of the top European leagues has been the most dominated by a single team? I guess France with PSG? If so then I suggest taking over one of the newly promoted sides in Ligue 1 and setting yourself three years to unseat them as champions of France.

Alternative suggestion - take over a South American team and try to win the Copa Libertadores and then the World Club Championship.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dias posted:

Hey, I got the boon! Yaaaay!

...I have no idea what to do with it tho. Maybe Scott Brown would enjoy a tropical landscape? I'll have to think about it.

Transfer Bailey to Tackleford and make him player/manager. :unsmigghh:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

How about increase the global reputation of MLS so that it can more easily attract top players in their prime from Europe and South America? You still wouldn't be able to sign superstars because wages would still be higher in Europe, but it would create a stronger league which would (in theory) be better for US player's development.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

A national Brazilian league in the European style is a relatively recent phenomenon. The country is just so massive and transport links were very poor for so long that it just wasn't practical. Clubs used to just compete in their state competitions only, but would go on off-season tours to play out of state opposition (and international tours also for the biggest teams like Santos). A national competition was first introduced in the 60s but it was a straight two legged knockout tournament with no group stage - like the English League Cup or the old UEFA Cup - and the champions from the bigger states receiving byes to the later tournament rounds. Over the decades it slowly became the standard 20 team league format that is today. Also, for a long time after the 'Taca Brasil' was established the state competitions were still more prestigious, it was way more important for Corinthians to beat Santos in Sao Paulo or Flamengo to beat Fluminese in Rio than it would be for any of them to win the national league.

Now the state competitions are very much considered second rate and the bigger sides basically treat them as an extended pre-season (they take place over aruond six to eight weeks before the league kicks off) and often play young teams or backups in them. Apart from the big matches between the top teams which are still taken deadly seriously, of course.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 29, 2015

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

I still think it's bogus that Surinam, Guyana, and French Guyana are in CONCACAF despite being located on the north coast of South America. I understand their reasoning, they would rather play the Caribbean nations that they might actually be competitive against rather than losing 50-0 to Brazil and Argentina, but come on. You're in South America. This is like Australia being part of Asia's federation because they don't want to play only minnows like Tuvalu, Fiji, and New Zealand.
Suriname, Guyana and French Guyana were all colonial possessions of the Netherlands, Britain and France respectively as opposed to South America which was Spanish and Portuguese. They culturally and economically have always been part of the Caribbean/West Indies, they are all members of the Caribbean Free Trade Association for example, so it makes sense for them to be part of CONCACAF rather than CONEMBOL.

Suriname actually has a long tradition of excellent footballers who played for Holland - Clarence Seedorf, Edgar Davids, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Aaron Winter were all born in Suriname and moved to the Netherlands as young children. Other players such as Ruud Gullit, Patrick Kluivert and Frank Rijkaard were born in Amsterdam but of Surinamese descent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

I'd be tempted to play Sam Wood at left back. He has the pace you may need on the wing against speedy attackers and also to give you an outlet on overlaps on that flank considering Unsal is old and slow so won't be able to track back too much. His mental frailties should be less of an issue in wide areas, plus he also gives you some height on set pieces both attacking and defending which looks important as your squad generally seems to lack players with aerial prowess. Of your probable starting eleven only Ramirez is strong in the air, Hughes and Garcia are decent and everyone else is below average at best.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 26, 2016

• Locked thread