Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

KDavisJr posted:

I'm fairly sure someone who made the draw doesn't want USA to win. It's Ghana, who sent the US packing two times in a row, and Portugal and Germany, two of Europe's best, and on top of that, having to travel a grand total of 9000 miles in the process. Also I found this pretty hilarious: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/world-cup-group-draw-united-states/

Eh, Portugal as one of Europe's best is stretching it (no offense, Portuguese dude). Germany is taking first easy, but you can "upset" Portugal and get over your fear of Ghana. Also, sorry, USA, your group isn't the Group of Death (maybe your death, but that doesn't count). That's D, with B as a runner-up because Chile is quite solid.

Oh, yeah. The LP. It's a cool LP. Please don't let this one die too, all FM/CM Let's Plays tend to die early and I quite enjoy sperging about soccer in them, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Foo posted:

Cool overview of the team. I'll volunteer to be a director. My qualifications are that I don't know anything about the sport.

I will volunteer on the opposite grounds: I know a bunch about the sport...but nothing about the game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, that's a lot of pace and stamina. If we could teach our wingers/wingbacks how to cross and plant a big, tall, strong center-forward on the opposing team's box, we could play REAL BRITISH FOOTBALL. Just run it down the side until the ball hits someone's head. As I said, I know poo poo about the game, but I suppose we could play for counters semi-effectively with the players we have? Pity that the fast/resilient players aren't very good at marking, otherwise we could pressure-mark the other team, steal the ball on their side of the pitch and use our speed to score.

Anyway. Norwich sounds fine. As a director, I wanna say I support telling bench players to shut the gently caress up and sit down, unless they're, like, 18 and promising stars. Footballers are a bit assholish.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
(Assertively) I'll back you on increasing both the transfer budget by 100,000 pounds and the wage budget by 3k/wk (35k/wk and 115.5k). I believe the increased funding if we get a promotion will be worth the expenditures right now. Then, we can improve the youth facilities and everything else.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bunnyofdoom posted:

So you're saying we need to get contract with Satan?

Now, now, I don't think Roman Abramovich would be willing to finance another British club. We already got rid of one multi-millionaire Russian sugar-daddy too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
(Merry and slightly hungover from Christmas) Eh, I really shouldn't, but gently caress it. We've won the last three games and our hirings showed you aren't gonna gently caress everything up when we give you money, so go buy TWO new scouts. I kinda wasted the money for the other two scouts on spiced rum and these Christmas adornations for the dressing rooms. Just mind the mistletoe, will you?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Cool, we're playing my favorite variation on the 4-5-1. It can transition really well between defense and offense, and it allows us to keep control of the midfield without sacrificing much in terms of offensive abilities, especially now that we grabbed a pretty good AM. Here's to a good season in League 2.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

quote:

Some preferred moves can be learned. Like this one. Bah isn't a perfect candidate, but his high free kick stat (16) makes it worth trying. It'll probably result in a lot of balls being blasted over the net, but should also grab us a goal once in a while.

Ah, the Roberto Carlos free kick strategy. Seriously, dude scored one pretty free kick during his entire career and fooled people into thinking he was a good free kick taker, while he mostly pelted the ball full strength towards the general direction of the goal.

(Passionately) I'm very disappointed in our team's performance so far.

It seems like we have massive defensive problems, seeing that we concede way too many shots and barely break 50% pass completion on defense. Maybe we should play something more defensive? The 4-2-3-1 has been more hazardous than it has been productive, The 4-5-1 counter works a bit better, either because we control/mark the midfield better, our wingers play more like wingbacks, or our fullbacks stay a bit more rooted (not sure how you're playing them). Still, it's not ideal.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...so, this is the one they bring up every time the rivalry is mentioned, right? Oof.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
(Utterly depressed) I was walking home from the stadium and I could hear Tackleford supporters chanting "six, six, six, Wrexham is pretty poo poo". Brought tears to me eye, it did.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, and not only was it was only witnessed by a couple hundred traveling fans but it wasn't on TV so the only video of it is whatever people took on their phones and our private video that I'm using to fire up players for revenge. Tackleford supporters will read about it on the fan blogs and forums. We're still 2-1 against them during my tenure, and 3-1 against them overall.

Hey, it's all about the legend. My team still brings up their first match against our rivals, that ended in a 10-0 and happened during their first year in existence, a hundred years ago or so. Football ain't about logic, it's about bringing up the most ridiculous claims to slander your rivals.

Also, on a bright side, we're doing better in the league at least. Seems like the 4-5-1 counter was the better option all along. We're still a bit fragile, and hell if we didn't get very unlucky with injuries these last months.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Example of good football chant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6ia9drgL7s

Example of...something football chant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNDon9_82U

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
While we're still on chant-talk, I found one that might be more adequate for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbfy05y5Ukw

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Okay.

1. 900 p/w is fine. It's still a payrise and we kinda overspent during the first part of the season for ...less than desirable results.
2. A two-year contract should give you enough time to prove if you deserve a longer tenure (and a higher investment) on the club. I'm personally not a big fan of one-year contracts, even if I come from a football culture that loves them.
3. Focus on the motherfuckin' setpieces. Seriously. We don't need to play pretty like those pansies in South America. Lob the ball at the tall, ugly bloke and let 'im score.
4. Arsene Wenger this thing. If we build a solid youth system, we're not only going to create strong players adapted to our football style (which should be, again, lob the ball to the huge lad), we also have a steady source of income from selling players to bigger sides.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, we're doing decent! And we signed a really good footballer from Australia of all places, which might be unheard of throughout the whole history of football! Good for us.

You mentioned that what you call 4-5-1 is usually called a 4-3-3. Well, they're pretty similar formations, if we're talking about the standard 4-5-1; it's more of a change in mentality. The 4-5-1 is basically the defensive cousin to 4-3-3's stupidly offensive system - your fullbacks don't go forward as much, you have a very defensive midfielder on the back and your wingers actually play defense a bit, while you get this lone striker up-front waiting for a cross or a breakaway on a counter. Here, have something that explains it a bit better than I can: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1424815-breaking-down-the-4-5-1-formation-when-to-use-it-and-why

Then you have the 4-5-1 variations, which include the 4-2-3-1 played by everyone and their mother, including us. That plays a very possession-focused style of football and allows the fullbacks to go upfront by sticking two traditional DMs on the back. It went...poorly for us, but I think that's because we had bad DMs.

The thing about football is that you have very fluid formations, and you can easily make a 4-5-1 into a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 by just telling your players to do poo poo a certain way, as long as they're good enough to adapt. That last part is key, otherwise you end up running a 4-4-2 with three strikers and three DMs and it makes no sense and gently caress MY TEAM

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

I've played up to Christmas, 2016, and then realized I had way too much for one update. So, it's getting split in half.

I can tell you that we're still alive in three competitions, though.

Aim for the Treble!

...or the almost-but-not-quite Single. Yeah, that sounds more realistic.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Transmetropolitan posted:

More or less related to that topic, there was some talk of trying to put MLS teams to play the Libertadores. I think the shock for a team like, I don't know, LA Galaxy playing at stadia like Bombonera or Centenario would be hilarious.

I remember that, actually. It would be hilarious in every single possible way. MLS actually has a couple of teams that could challenge for the Copa, but first away game would have American fans calling us barbarians and thugs as soon as a slide tackle happened. Plus, a shot at bending Beckham's legs would have been appreciated, pity it never happened. :smith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Within reach of the Johnstone's Trophy AND the League 2 championship, and it looks like we might get promoted? I'd be optimistic if years of following soccer didn't teach me that I should always expect the worst. Still, hell of a good run so far.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, habeas, could you check the Brazilian league table? I kinda wanna see how my team manages to embarass itself in this virtual world.

Other than that, woo League 1 and the gently caress Those Money-Grabbing Bastards Classico is back! Quite a bit of wonderkids in our squad, hopefully they develop well. Even then (actually, a bit because of that), I wouldn't expect anything past mid-table this season while we settle into this new league. The only thing I demand as a former board member and fan is that you trample Tackleford whenever you get the chance.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

What's the team? I can let you know what they've been up to.

I'm a Grêmio supporter. Apparently we're midtabling it up in the league. Could be worse.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
+4 points. Hopefully on the top, of course. A draw and their defeat.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Habeas, I'm still keeping +4 point advantage, but I'm throwing a +5 goal advantage in as well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
A goal right from a kickoff is some futsal poo poo, the kids in my school went for that every single time we played, usually hitting some poor dude on the face with a misguided bomb. Good stuff, Wrexham.

Kinda unrelated, but also on the topic of "goals in weird circumstances": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvm9JJxQ8js

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

It's amazing how I can see your dejected face even thru the black square. Sucks to be a keeper, dude.

I am sports embarassment in person, so much that I don't play anything anymore because I'm godawful at every sport I've picked up. I'm not even horrendously unathletic, I'm just too short for the tall-people sports and too uncoordinated to use my legs in the other ones. I'm especially bad at soccer tho - subverting all the stereotypes about Brazilians and poo poo. Never really did anything too bad when I played, to be fair, so this one is more of a silly story than anything else.

My college department (not even sure if that's the right term, but whatever) holds these little futsal tournaments twice a year. No one's especially good, so it's more of an excuse to embarass ourselves and play stupidly physical for no reason at all. Fights happen, people laugh, life goes on, etc. Remember when I said I was especially bad at soocer? That's a lie. I'm especially bad at futsal. I HATE futsal, hate watching it and even more so, hate playing it. I guess that's because the few things I can do playing soccer translate terribly to futsal - that is, long crosses, lobbing balls and slide tackles. DM life, represent.

Anyway, that brings me to this story. Somehow, I got roped into playing for a classmate's team - they couldn't get five dudes so they needed someone, anyone to complete the team. First match, I just tell the dudes "gently caress it, I'm hanging back and trying not to gently caress up too badly", cleaning my hands out of any offensive responsabilites whatsoever. Then a player on the other team breaks free on a counter and I'm basically the only man standing between him and the goalkeeper. So what do I do, being one of the worst footballers to ever grace planet Earth?

I fuckin' SLIDE TACKLE him. Now, this is futsal, not soccer. You don't do slide tackles in futsal - pretty sure it was completely illegal until very recently. But I'm an entrepreneur and to my credit, it was as clean as a side slide tackle in futsal can be. People watching go "the gently caress", my teammates go "the gently caress", the referee looks at me with a "the gently caress" look in his face and...completely lets it slide. Not even a free kick or a yellow card was awarded. Next play, a hot-headed dude on their team tries to get back at us for that play and does a slide tackle of his own, except this time the ref is not mesmerized by the sheer foolishness of the move and sends him off. Because of that, we end up winning the game. That was the only game we won in the whole tournament.

So that's the tale of how me being a bad player actually led my team to victory. I used to have video footage of the tackle, but it's lost to the sands of time.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I realized I didn't actually post an embarassing sports moment, just a personal story. So...

My soccer team has great forwards, dude.

This deplorable sequence actually got him the title of "worst striker in the world" by Marca, if I'm not mistaken.

Then he was top goal-scorer for the league the following year and now plays for Valencia. Life changes.

At least, unlike our rivals, our goalkeepers are okay.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, I was expecting Tackleford to be less shite and us to be...well, more shite when I picked a +4 point difference. We're almost 30 ahead now. Holy mother of gently caress this is a good season.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

There's also the whole thing about being able to play in European competitions. Mujkic is already considered a "leading Premier League winger" by my coaches and scouts- that makes him at the very least a rotation option for teams that are aiming at the top four each year. He would fit right in at Arsenal or Chelsea, and they'd pay him at least ten times as much as he's earning right now. Meanwhile we've earned three promotions in three years, but we're still only in the Championship and probably four years away from challenging for a Europa League spot, much less a Champion's League one. Football is littered with clubs that have brief spells of success before knuckling under to the financial realities of big time football.

Mujkic isn't unhappy, he's slightly concerned that we won't be able to achieve his ambitions and I won't bring in players to reach those ambitions. He's signed through the next three years, so it's not like his contract is up soon, the main reason I wanted to extend him was so that I could keep increasing his release clause and make it less likely that someone triggers it.

Also, we often see players in real life choose to go to a bigger club where they're a squad player rather than to the club where they'd be starting 11. I find it pretty realistic. I think a lot of them might have an inflated sense of their own worth.

There's another thing that comes into play in real life: footballers, much like other athletes, have a really short career. Two decades, tops. Plus, a lot of them come from less-than-wealthy homes. So, imagine you're a young promising star, being seduced with promises of fame and fortune in top-level clubs. You're gonna get thrice the money you're being paid at your current club, hell, maybe more. You'd like not only to support yourself financially, but your parents and grandparents and siblings and right now that big fancy mansion is looking tempting. Okay, maybe the club you're at right now could become a new continental force, but who's to say they're not gonna stall at their current level for two, three, five years? What if you never get calls from Chelsea or Arsenal again? Five years is a quarter of your career, you know.

If you already have a bit of an ego - and a lot of footballers do - you might start pushing for a transfer. Even if you are a rotation or reserve player at first, you could carve your spot in the main squad if you work hard enough. It beats languishing in a club where no one else's in your level.

Short version: footballers are complex human beings with complex emotions and motivations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

Even better than that. 2 years. The league is also high enough quality for good prospects to play at without worrying about stunting their growth, has clubs with pretty good training facilities and coaches, and if your feeder team wins the league they'll get to play in the Champion's League qualifying rounds and potentially the group stage, which is pretty great experience for them if you yourself have gotten to the Megabastard portion of FM with your club. There's really no other choice for the discerning manager who seeks to circumvent arcane anti-labor mobility laws.

eta: Oh god, is that a TPP avatar, Sky Shadowing? Ok, my finest complimens to whoever unseats this monster from our club presidency!

(Sarcastically) Maybe if we changed our manager for a good 50k random people mashing random tactics we'd get better results than we've been getting in the Championship...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DerLeo posted:

Jesus Christ how does anyone besides the top 6 get anything done when the spread between top and bottom is a full order of magnitude :stare:

Welcome to top-flight European football! Did you ever wonder why you pretty much always see the same four teams leading the tables at those leagues? That's pretty much why. It's not as bad in smaller leagues/South America, but the same thing still happens. Money rules and you'd better have a really nice sponsor or a lot of TV money. Otherwise, enjoy mid-table or lower.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

my dad posted:

The first part means "I lost" as in "I'm defeated", not "I'm lost" as in "I'm confused." But the funny part is that the verb is in feminine form, so Cirjak is subtly pointing out that he's actually a lady. The second has a minor word choice error, but nothing big. The last part ends up meaning "to be cursing (as in 'screaming curses at') this language"

By the way, Cirjak (which I assume is actually Čirjak) is pronounced Cheer-yuck. You slightly missed how Tonči is pronounced, but nothing major. The 'o' is like 'oo' in 'door' except short.

(Drunkenly) Ooooh, he puts the lad in lady, he puts the lad in lady, three cheers for Cirjak!

(Ashamed) I'm sorry for that terrible song.

Aaaanyway. gently caress you for reminding me of San Lorenzo, we just went down to them at the Libertadores Round of 16 and I've come to hate seeing Your Holiness' likeness because it precedes some dumb rivals.net joke. :smith: LP is still great, tho. Bastable is the striker I wish my team had in real life. how can i edit a real life savefile i hate this

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, what the gently caress are you doing in Southampton, Sky Shadowing? Do you want to get relegated?

Embezzling money.

Oh, that was supposed to be rhetorical, right?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Club World Cup is weird. No one in Europe has really given a gently caress about it for a long time, but it's kinda a big deal in South America still. It's basically our shot at the huge megabastards, a chance to say "we beat the biggest of the biggest fair and square" right to the faces of all people that think South American club football is shite compared to everywhere else. For the longest time it was just a straight Europe/SA match-up, but since the mid-00s, it added in Asian, Australian, North American and African clubs to the mix, making it a six-team tournament. They used to be warm-up matches before the expected finals and nothing else. However, in the last few years, we've had a couple of big upsets - both Internacional in 2010 and Atlético-MG in 2013 lost in the semis to underdogs, becoming the butt of jokes in Brazil for the longest time. That made for a weird dynamic when it comes to the CWC down here lately. We know European teams tank it and it's just the cherry on the top of the Libertadores, but we have to take it seriously otherwise we might get bumped by a weaker team.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ForeverBWFC posted:

USFootballfans.txt

Hey, he ain't wrong. USA is a third-tier international football team, which is enough to make it to the WC - especially as a CONCACAF team - and depending on the group, to the knockout stages. Hell, if they get a WC bid, corruption might even ensure they make it to the semis or something like South Korea before them.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

AJ_Impy posted:

Nope, only made it to the Round of 16, after finishing 3rd in a group of 4.

Yeah, but that was when the USA sucked even more - and they made it to Round of 16 regardless!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

US soccer is light years better than it was in the bad old days of the 1980s, and the current national team is better than the 2002 edition that put a scare into Germany in the quarterfinals. We're probably only the third best team in our group, but it wouldn't be any type of shock for us to advance over Portugal or Ghana. I'm cautiously optimistic about the future, even if we are a long ways away from expecting to get out of the group stage given a neutral or better draw. Our youth development has also improved a lot, and Klinsy hasn't been shy about snaking players with US eligibility from other nations.

The USA "group of death" is more mediocre death than anything else, really. Ghana is a solid squad, tops and Portugal has Cristiano Ronaldo and nothing else.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Camoes posted:

This is pretty unfair. Even though Ronaldo is way better than the others, the rest of the team is pretty good. I mean, Postiga sucks and it sucks we don't have anybody better than him in his position, and maybe we should have a better man than Varela/Nani in the other wing, but the rest of the team is pretty decent (if not very deep). It's pretty much the same team from the last Euro and we were the only ones who could hold on Spain to the penaltis and had a good game against Germany. Ronaldo is the only one who can scores goals decently, but at least he has good players to serve him and a solid defense in the back.

Eh, I might've been a bit too harsh, but I'm not that much of a fan of either of Portugal's starting CBs (seriously I really don't like Pepe) and the team is good-but-not-great with not a lot of depth everywhere else. It's the second-best team in that group, but not by a huge margin. Then again, I think Brazil has a weak team nowadays and people still rate it as one of the strongest squads around, so...

Also, YAY FIRST TITLE!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You either die languishing in the Skrill North, or you live long enough to see yourself become the megabastard.

ABA if that ain't too clear

Also, let's go with £60M and if it's either too much or too little, I blame JT Jag. Plus I need the extra cash to buy myself that solid gold tanning salon for supermodels.

Wait, did I say that out loud

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

habeasdorkus posted:

Corinthians gets back to the top of the pile for the first time in six seasons, but no one other than they, Palmeiras, and Sao Paolo have won since the I was first hired as a coach. Gremio wins the Campeonato Gaucho for the fifth year straight, those jerks at Internacional ain't nothing.

They also got relegated! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. :smug: Get hosed, you shits.

(in real life they actually won the Gaucho for the fourth time in a row. Real life sucks)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sky Shadowing posted:

I mean, though, Croatia's keeper got his hands to the ball and didn't have the power to deflect it. Then the third goal was just weak.

All three goals were pretty weak, a better goalie would've made the saves. Refereeing was atrocious, but as a Brazilian soccer fan I'm used to atrocious and just roll with the punches regardless of who gets screwed, my team or their adversaries. By all accounts we should've tied or lost this match, tho. Except for Oscar, Luis Gustavo and maybe David Luiz (ugh, it hurts me physically to type good things about him) everyone had a shite game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Never blame corruption for what can be explained as pure incompetence. Both are very frequent in soccer, but reffing is usually just bad instead of having evil intentions in mind.

• Locked thread