Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
My team's, uh, 'ultras'* run Seven Nation Army. It's pretty good. Went to see a World Cup Qual game at the home stadium, which was, despite the snow, pretty fun, and the local fans just reused most of their chants, which are leaps and bounds above the god awful "EW ES EH EW ES EH" which seems to be the national default.

Also they stopped the match repeatedly to shovel snow off the lines, which amused us to no end.

*Not that they really warrant such an appellation... MLS :cry:

the JJ fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

You were at the Costa Rica snow game? awesome!

Yup. It was a lot of fun.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

It looked so much fun on TV, how did the away fans like the snow?

Seemed like they took it well. Soccer in America being, well, soccer in America, you had a fair number of 'away' fans, but also lot of those 'away' fans lived locally.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Voting Wrex as well.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Put me in as a director. I demand that we acquire an MLS team and make soccer a thing in America.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

quote:

I was surprised at how fast some of the players were, but their technical skills are worrisome. It's like a team of Theo Walcotts. It's certainly true that speed kills, though.

Best.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Stoked. I like the vids. Very pretty soccer from our boys. I'm okay with any parent team really.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I kinda like the FA Cup as an institution. I remember my high school history teacher, and soccer coach, a terribly British man, explaining that he played second string for a lower tier club that, thirty years down the line, had grown big enough to "get the piss kicked out of us by Arsenal."

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
A typo there on the Braintree game, reading them as the winners.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
(Agressively) YOu made me buy this game and I'm terrible at it. A out of spite, you can't have nice things.

(P.S. This will be my one and only spite vote.)

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Ha! Just found an old friend's little brother on a reserve squad.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
BBBBBest team.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Insertnamehere31 posted:

That is awesome and should replace "U-S-A U-S-A" as the standard american chant.

God it's so obnoxious. I went to a national game at my local MLS stadium and the ultras there just started singing the local songs (which, to be fair, is pretty much just "whoa, wo wo wo wo whoooooa whooa" from Seven Nation Army, but its still MILES better than U-S-A U-S-A over and over again.)

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Again, I'll take wo wo wo over USA USA USA any day. At least there's, like, an attempt at... something. Anything.

Sorry, hang on, I did that wrong.

(Assertively) Again, I'll take wo wo wo over USA USA USA any day. At least there's, like, an attempt at... something. Anything.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I watched the Broncos last Super Bowl, does that count? e: curses.

Other stories, had a midfielder who was falling back to get to the play get rocked in the face when the fullback went to clear it. He caught it full in the forehead when it was still very much in that lift off phase of a good long boot and had to come out of the game for a concussion check up.

Alternatively, back when I used to play club soccer with a team from the Hispanic neighborhood, we'd communicate in Spanish for that little extra edge. We had a teammate get booked because the (lily-white) ref spoke Spanish as well, and objected to some of the things being said about his mother...

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I'll take a board spot.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Geoff Peterson posted:

As someone with a little knowledge on the general topic: This happens with sports far, far more often than you'd think. I've never heard of someone coming across Fantasy Football, but it's bound to happen too.

On the other hand, Moneyball, right? I know, totally different sort of nerd. Also pretty different sort of sport, I think baseball lends itself better to that sorta analysis.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
BCBA

Wooo! Party in moderation!

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Trundel posted:

I've got a coupon as well for anyone interested.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Tetrakarn posted:

I would love a coupon. http://steamcommunity(dot)com/id/Tetrakarn

Added. I'll send it along when I can.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Tetrakarn posted:

Recieved coupon from JJ, A++ would steal excess coupons again.

Sent an unsolicited gift in return. Thanks a bunch!

Woo!

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Seconded. You've done great things for us, Scott, but you're not hot poo poo yet.

Only because you missed the cut, and those shenanigans flirting with another team.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
BABA

And stop scaring me.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
What do we spend the money on? Where are we thin?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Well, left wing to start. Without Mujkic we have only Mejasic, Petts, and a youth player (Argenti) ready to step into his positions at mid and attacking left. Left back too. And really, all of our positions except for striker and attacking central midfielder could be improved. We have players who will, after they develop, be very good at most spots. But they're all young and so aren't at their full potential yet.

Selling a left winger to buy a different left winger doesn't sound great but passing off one wonderboy to get, what, three-ish very good players...

I guess maybe we sit on it and see if we need depth or dazzle more as the year goes on.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
B

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

SnafuAl posted:

A familiar sight, the boss man at his desk,
The God-King of Wrexham now facing a test;
A knocking sounds out, another young protégé
No doubt here to complain of how little they play
Despite knowing full well they are not first-team-ready...
Brown's knuckles turn white, but he must remain steady.
After all, this nonsense has happened before
And, cursing his choice to keep an open door,
“Come in” he says, and looks up to see
Which ungrateful prick is the new complainee;
The door creaks slowly open, one young man enters in,
The boss relaxes, his grimace morphs to a good-natured grin,
He kicks back and rests his feet up on the table:
“What can I do for you
Rocky Bastable?”

“This doesn't have to go outside of this office”,
The lad starts his practiced speech, seeming uncertain of this,
“But I've done all I can in this corner of Wales,
So I want to be sold in the January Sales.”
His nerve seems to crack, the words come out in a tumble,
The boss's grin falters at this half-expected grumble.
Regaining composure, he sits up and reassures:
“Believe me, my boy, my ambitions match yours,
I want you to face the very best in the game
To bask in the glory, crowds chanting your name,
To collect all of the silverware, every last bit,
I just want to see you do it in that red Dragons kit.
To help you to achieve I'll do all that I'm able,
But you're staying at Wrexham,
Rocky Bastable.”

The young man is shocked at the total denial,
But he stops, breathes in deeply, and holds back the bile.
“I appreciate what you're saying, boss, don't get me wrong,
But to put it quite plainly, I can't wait that long.
And everyone knows that only this winter,
You've turned away Napoli, and twice denied Inter!
And as if this news wasn't already momentous,
There's talk that I've caught the eyes of Juventus.
I get that you want me here, but I want to go far,
And I'd be much better suited to playing in Serie A.
Why are you being such a damned oval office about this?”
The boss interrupted, slammed his desk with his fist,
Stood up from his seat, and with a voice calm and stable,
Said “Now sit the gently caress down.”
To Rocky Bastable.

“I've heard what you've said,” he began, voice laden with doom,
“Something's made you unhappy, or so I assume.
But I thought I made it clear that if that were the case,
You should have the loving balls to say as much to my face.
So what is it, boy, what has your head craning
To make eyes at those bastards in the Mediterranean?
Is the training too hard? Or is it my failure
To give you free reign to gently caress off to play for Australia?
Is that it, you bastard? Do you think I'm short-sighted
For keeping you here to play Man-loving-United
While your country fucks about in some no-name competition?
You dare come in here and lecture me about ambition?
I've seen future stars before, boy, and you deserve that label
But there's some poo poo that needs set straight here,
Rocky Bastable.”

“While it's true, you have the talents to one day be a star,
Need I remind you I signed you from a club in loving Qatar?
I plucked you from the desert, brought you here to grow and feed
In the fertile soccer soil of the drat Premier League
And while Wrexham might not be home to a megabastard yet,
Don't you loving dare tell me you have any regrets.
I kept playing you no matter what, through thick and through thin,
I cheered you from the sidelines when you were banging them in.
If I had had less faith in you, in the weeks you had not scored,
Do you think that on your own you'd have that Golden Boot award?
Or been named in the whole league's Team of the loving Year?
Because from what you've said today, I must make this perfectly clear:
While without me you may have been perfectly able,
I loving made you,
Rocky Bastable.”

The young Aussie sat stunned, unsure what he should do
He had never before known the coach to turn the air so blue.
He rose slowly to his feet, started to move towards the exit,
Mumbled somewhat sullenly about feeling disrespected.
And left the boss alone again, the silence laying thick,
Broken only softly by the wall-clock's gentle tick.
The boss man sighed, sat at his desk and poured
A glass of the fine scotch whisky he'd been gifted by the board
He tried so hard to bring these talents in and make them feel at home
It hurt to see them treat Wrexham as merely a stepping stone
Toward certain English clubs, or even those on foreign shores,
But his thoughts were soon cut short by another rapping at his door.
He forced himself to smile, and looking up asked gaily,
“So what can I do for you today,
Justin bloody Bailey?”

And this is why reading LPs whilst bored at work is a bad idea.

I was not really expecting anyone to top that rap battle Pdox LP update.

e: I will buy him an avatar if he doesn't get a boon.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
65 mil, ABA

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Mourning for Bailey aside, can we get a peak at the Swiss team to see what the hell is making them so good?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

He's still Bailey. I'm not making changes to anything ingame without the order of the board and/or the granting of a boon. In Bailey's case he's going to still be a massive overachiever (6.7 and 6.8 ratings in two cup games so far) but I won't change his numbers until acted upon by an outside force.

The fans were ecstatic to have him back, btw. They take a wait and see attitude to most of my signings, they don't trust that I know what I'm doing, but when Bailey came back they were gleeful.

I'd almost rather we like him retire and pump his trainer stats if need be.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

GenHavoc posted:

I have been known to describe sports teams like the Los Angeles Dodgers and Pittsburgh Steelers in extremely and irrationally unkind terms before. I've had my own teams so-described to me by fans of the aforementioned clubs. It's all part of the game.

I wish the AFC West were a little more competitive sometimes so I could get some good hating in. Instead it's mostly just going 'aw, muffin' when the Raiders lose again or watching as the Chiefs once again unleash the pent up fury of perpetual third place and beat us at home in a game that, really, we should have won. Which I'm sure is cathartic for the Chiefs but it doesn't really provoke hate within me.

Now the Pats and Tom Brady? I do love it when we beat the poo poo out of them. gently caress Tom Brady.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

I hate me some Tom Brady, but I had to admire the way that he surgically dismantled Tebow and the Broncos in the playoffs a couple years back.

Wasn't long after that that Tebow ended up getting sent back down to the Stadium Leagues where he belongs.

Yeah, Tebow was a wonderful thing where I could channel my rage at my own organization. I mean, Kyle Orton wasn't great but I liked him. Of course, I can't really complain right now, so long as we're Frankensteining Manning into one more season before he breaks entirely.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
1. 90 sounds like a good number.

A. Something like Meteor Mountain would be good.

I think a USA tour would be fun, especially if you come beat up the Rapids, and on that same logic you should go to Sweden because that's my other home team.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

This as an example of something going well, watch Machida wiggle his hands around, drop them to his waist, launch into the air with a ridiculous hopping feint, and then put his foot right into the chin there. And this isn't against some punter either.

For the more humorous fare this:

Was perfect not just in it's fuckup but in the context of the entire season and the game that followed it. I mean, you gotta love a Super Bowl that starts that way and then goes downhill from there.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah I'm watching it now, I really like an up-tempo style of play.

Did anyone else think that penalty kick was a bit silly? I'm at a a Dutch bar (well, an Irish bar overrun by orange) but I'm not sure I disagree with the mood here that Spain didn't earn it's goal, though it's been nicely back and forth

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Can you post up exactly what you did to Bailey? Maybe put hulk Bailey next to the vanilla version.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

GenHavoc posted:

Well for starters, how about an additional official stationed either up in a broadcast booth whose sole job is to watch for offsides? Yes, that involves money that smaller clubs don't have, but surely the World Cup/Champions League/Premier League etc can afford the expense, given everything. National and International titles have been won or lost on bad offisdes calls. If we're unwilling to even TRY making those calls better, then what does that say about the value we place on the results of the tournaments?

I mean, that's already the sideline judges' main job. Having him running (theoretically) parallel to the defenders means he has a better angle on the play.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
:toot: for the Ticos.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Marvelous marvelous. More thrown matches! We've gone full WWE!

I know it's definitely unsporting and that doing this for bookies etc. is illegal but is this actually allowed? I know it happened in at least one WC group and I think the WC changed some rules in response. Did other major competitions reciprocate?

• Locked thread