Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Have you never read about AFC Parmo? Do you not know what giving mass amounts of goons control of a club does?!?!

Surprisingly, the answer is they do very well, so the only acceptable vote is B.

(AFC Parmo was a Yohan Kebab (then Ray Parlour) tradition of a goon leading a team for 6 months at a time. Long story short, from Skrill South to Champions League Finalists in under a year real-time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

You think that's nuts, in FM2013 I had England win back-to-back European Championships and in the middle of them, fail to qualify for the World Cup.

For added insanity, that second EC win? Was against Scotland.

:scotland:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Shut up shop and try and bring them to Wrexham to play on our lovely, lovely turf. But yes, as a Football Manager player myself this was pretty much the best result we could have hoped for- Man U away.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, as an American I knew practically nothing about soccer before the 2010 World Cup, where I made an effort to watch as many matches as I could. I started delving into it, and became pretty fascinated with the connectivity of the whole system- the only sporting system we have in America that comes close is college athletics. But in soccer, in theory, a team of nobodies from the lower reaches of England could, in theory, win the FA Cup and match up against the best of Europe, and eventually work their way up to the Premier League and fight for the Champions League. America has no such system, not even in our own soccer system (I've read this is an unfortunate necessity of the franchise system and just the way sports works).

So pretty much I just find it incredible that a group of people could found a club at the bottom of the soccer world, and they're in the exact same system as teams like Real Madrid and Manchester United. If they earned it they'd be able to reach the highest of the highs, and that's pretty cool.

It's what I love about FM, taking a team (my recent favorite is Blyth, but due to them getting demoted out of Conference North a few years ago I think with this game I'll take a created team), worrying about which crappy player will step up, and a few months later I'm fighting for Champions League contention and winning the FA and League Cups- all with the same team.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, I know it's only true in theory. That's just the part that makes FM fun, the taking the theory and turning it into reality. I mean, in what world could a team from Conference Regional win 5 successive promotions and start challenging for the Champions League in their second year as a Premier League team? Certainly not the real world. But in FM, you can pump your chest and take your local team and turn them into a world power (or in my case, the team that wears green and white and calls themselves Spartans, echoing my college team, the Michigan State Spartans).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

BBBBB

Well, the bright side of Tackleford winning the league:

1. They're not in the play-offs, so we don't have to face them.
2. If we do win promotion, another year of hate! :unsmigghh:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, I too will change my vote to CBBBC.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I wouldn't be opposed to you doing some editing to make Tackleford a rival of our club, and vice-versa. Rivalry games in this seem to operate by a completely different set of rules- they're very rarely completely one sided, form seems to matter little, etc. It appears we'll be fighting with them for a few years now.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

EDIT: Ninjaed :argh:

I'll be president. What would I do if I had a pet dragon? I'd fall deep into debt to people deliberately then pull out the 'wait how bout I pay you double if I show you a dragon, if I can you have to pay me instead?' Nobody would believe me, then I'd pull in the dragon. If they tried to hold out on me they'd be neglecting the fact that I have a pet dragon.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 21, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

(Passionately) I'm very pleased to have taken over the Presidency of such a prestigious club like Wrexham. With our current manager, I foresee great things for this club, and I don't intend to muck around with our current success any.

(Assertively) I am aware that many of this club have taken Tackleford's shots at our current leadership personally, and I don't particularly agree with them either. Scott is a magnificent capture for this club who will lead us higher than we've ever dreamed.

(Aggressively) I am of the opinion that a good old fashioned rivalry adds to football, and as a man of Wrexham, I want to inform Tackleford that when we see you next year in League One, having earned success and not bought it, we will see who's really better.

In the event I actually have any power whatsoever, I would heartily approve of editing the database to make us and Tackleford rivals, since it's clear that the Wrexham fanbase and board hate those fuckers, and given the war of words they can't be too fond of us either.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 23, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

(Cautiously) I agree, C. Automatic promotion, though nice, shouldn't be expected. We're not Tackleford flipping the bird at the FA and football.

36k/wk and 50k added to the transfer budget is reasonable. No need to break the bank on this.

B. Coaches are nice, but let's not go overboard here. We can always reconsider this if we get an unexpected financial windfall from the FA Cup.

Almost tempted to vote no because as the pitch got worse our results got better, but let's take advantage of this while we can, it being free- Relay the pitch.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Stopwatch Crash posted:

That looks like a really silly reason to almost get fired, yeah. Are you missing a lot of chances from set pieces or something and having that count against it? Not that it'd make that seem reasonable. Obviously one of the board members is a Tackleford plant, and you've just foiled his dastardly scheme to have you fired. Maybe it's the president!?

You watch your mouth calling me a Tackleford supporter. :colbert:

Yeah, this is a little :psyduck:, certainly not the worst year.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

How is Wales doing so well internationally?

Well, making the Euros wasn't as impressive as it seems- the Euros are expanding from 16 to 24 teams, and FM models that, of course. Otherwise, I'm guessing they got lucky with Shaun Davies', AKA not-Gareth Bale's stat rolls. Generally, it tries to keep stats close to what they are, or at least re-assigns them based on ability and potential (so the player that replaces Messi, for example, is also a really good Argentinian, even if his stats aren't 1-1 with Messi as defined in the database).

Still a bit :stare: for fans of real football, but a world-class player like Bale (and not-Bale) can do that.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I always had faith that my and your leadership would turn this around. :smug:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

KDavisJr posted:

We're two points out of first! With any luck we could win League 2! Scott Brown for Manager of the Year!

Two points out with a game in hand, no less. And after going through a veritable murderer's row of a schedule. Of course, games in hand only matter if you win.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

If 'I' win re-election do I stay president, or will you give it to someone else? If I stay tell me- do you really want someone coming in and spending your transfer and wage budgets on something ridiculously unnecessary?

VOTE SHADOWING 2016 FOR A BETTER CLUB

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

AAA

I knew I had that election in the bag :colbert: (quietly folds resignation letter saying 'gently caress you, I'm out' into his pocket).

Oh poo poo live blog! :f5:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

KDavisJr posted:

I believe it's obvious Sky Shadowing bribed talked to a few voters. Also you should keep an eye on Watkin. That picture looks...well it has a nostalgic feel...

I admit to nothing here's lifetime season tickets to keep quiet.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

BBBC.

The first three we must be a little cautious with, even as funds should increase for promotion into League One. I vote C for Mukjic because I have faith in you to do right by the club even without limits, and don't want to bind you to a strict number when it could be he wants only a little more.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

The US Coaching Job should be coming open soon, the current manager is a fiasco, the team got drubbed in their first game of the hex at home against friggin Guatemala. I wouldn't be shocked if he's fired even before qualifying is over a la the former manager of Mexico's team. When that job comes open I'm absolutely submitting an application. I believe in game you can coach both national and club teams at once, it's how people do the San Marino challenge (manage tiny little San Marino's football club to the Champion's League title and win a World Cup as the tiny nation of San Marino, the latter seems impossibly difficult).

If the game won't let me do both at once I'll take over a national team once Wrexham are giants of Europe and aim to win the World Cup.

You most absolutely can do it, I did double duty in my FM2012 save as the head coach of Blyth Spartans and the United States. Won the Gold Cup, made it out of the Group Stages in the World Cup, but never further.

It doesn't even have issues when you have two events on the same day! Presumably you're coaching one and later shouting into your cell phone while watching the game on ESPN.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I'm going to addendum to my previous post with the contract offer of:

5 years, £1,100 a week, yearly increases of 5%, promotion increase of 10% and, since I know it's there, a Top Division Promotion Clause of 75%, but also a Top Division Relegation Clause of 75%.

Get us to the top and stick and you'll be making a pretty penny.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Those Genoans were more friendly to me than most of the people I met with about forming a link between our clubs!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go cash a check. It is most certainly not bribe money. It's totally bribe money.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

We only sold 300 more tickets than last year but the price was hiked up to £375, so we made a whole lot more money than we did last season. That and Sky Shadowing wasn't skimming off the top.

£400 was a pretty fair price for season tickets, I'm glad we sold even more than last year.

Uh, I, of course, meant £375. Yes, season tickets were only sold for £375. I sold them for £400 and skimmed the extra £25.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Wow, I've played this game so well and I've never gotten to the point of having such a ridiculous war of words with another manager. This is pretty amazing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I blame the rest of you. My embezzlement has been expected and accounted for in the Yearly Projections, your embezzlement is out of control and ridiculous! :colbert:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The Most Embarrassing Thing I've Ever Seen In Sports is Tackleford FC.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Great answer, but you're already running for reelection :)

I know, but I had to do it, it was too perfect.

TheMcD posted:

Somebody went to the Mick Foley School of Cheap Pops, I see.

I'll be here all year again, right here, in Wrexham, Wales :thumbsup: .

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Here's an ACTUAL story, not since I need it since I'm running for re-election, just for fun. When I was very young I played tee-ball. I was standing at the pitcher's mound, and as I'm watching the other player get up to bat I suddenly have the vision of getting beaned by him pitching the ball. I said 'that's stupid, this is tee-ball, he's not pitching.'

Moments later, the ball, hit off the tee, hits me right in the stomach.

I have never since had a vision of the future as I did that day.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

Can you still turn old players into coaches/assistant coaches?

Yes, players who retire can be hired for virtually any staff position by the player or anyone. It's one of my favorite things to do. I keep them set for life.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

A.

I'm pleased to see that my reign atop the United Kingdom's Greatest Club continues. :smug: The people have spoken, and they say corruption Wrexham today, corruption Wrexham forever!

As for MLS, allegedly a big part of why there's no promotion/relegation is that I seem to remember there are issues with how franchises are licensed that create issues with that. I don't know jack poo poo about laws, though.

It also probably has something to do with the fact we're trying to build a system from pretty much scratch to compete with the Big Four leagues (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB), and not many of our teams have the history needed to cultivate a fanbase that would support teams in the lower division.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I think every FM player was dreading this moment, the always inevitable run of bad form when you're having an otherwise amazing season.

CBCB

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

A good comparison about the Champions League is that it's like the NCAA Basketball tournaments (every nation gets at least one team, but the better nations get more than that, up to 4), only instead of playing it immediately after the current season, it's played throughout the next season. So the first games for the qualification rounds (for teams in leagues that have no chance whatsoever of making it to the group stages, let alone the knock-out rounds- like the Welsh football league (we're in the English league)) start over the summer, the Group Stages start in fall, the knockout rounds after the New Year and final in May.

It's even more confusing in the CONCACAF Champions League for American teams, because unlike the vast majority of footballing nations who run through the winter, the MLS runs through the summer- so an American team makes the CONCACAF Champions League, then their tournament starts in the second half of the next season and finishes in the first half of the season after that, if they haven't lost to a Mexican team yet (only Mexican teams have ever won the CONCACAF CL).

Then the winners of each of the major tournaments (every continental system has one) plays the next year (for a short tourney, four games at most) in the Club World Cup, along with the top team in the host nation. The European Champions League and South American Copa Libertadores are each considered far more prestigious than that tourney, though.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 6, 2014

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Seven. Seven players.

Welcome, everyone, to the Championship, and the soul-crushing beatdowns it can provide at times.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Mukjic was described as Premier League talent, which means he should still be 5 stars. It also compares to the rest of our squad, so if he's not it means we've gotten better.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Jesus, I always assumed that it was probably like the way the Big Four American leagues work- a handful of games are shown nationally live on premier channels like ESPN/ABC, Fox, Turner Networks, etc., with most leagues also owning and operating their own networks, and the rest of the games generally being sold out by the teams to local networks, like the plethora of Fox Sports networks, such as Fox Sports Detroit.

So at some events you get up to three separate networks broadcasting- the home team's local channel, the away team's local channel, and the national network. Then, since most games can't be viewed outside the market (which are generally pretty big), most providers also offer packages that allow you to view all out-of-market games, and as habeasdorkus said, there's also things like NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB At Bat, etc., digital streaming services for the non-national, non-local games.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Disproportionation posted:

I don't get why sports teams in the states move so much; the only time I remember it happening here was with Wimbledon/MK Dons, and I remember that a massive uproar was raised over it down there.

It isn't particularly beloved here in the States either. The big two that most people point to that are extremely controversial are the NFL move of the Cleveland Browns to become the Baltimore Ravens, and the NBA move of the Seattle Sonics to become the Oklahoma City Thunder. It's just that the general consensus is that most people feel 'well, so long as it doesn't happen to my team'. Cleveland was left the history, name, colors, and an expansion franchise to re-created the team. Seattle still doesn't have a team, much to the despair of their fans.

Another large part of it is that there are only so many teams that can make up a league without getting ridiculous, and the US has a lot of markets that could support a franchise. Since none of our leagues have promotion/relegation, you can't just create a team and pump money into it to make it competitive, so the only way to get a team is to either wait patiently until the league decides to add teams every 20 or so years, or lure away a team.

Generally, here in the US it comes down to franchises moving to where they can get the most public funding for a new stadium, or the fanbase has lost interest in the team (usually when they've been very bad), or there's an untapped market that the League is convinced would embrace and love a team of their own (see: the NFL's current fixation with London). Most times a team doesn't move without a lot of good reasons. This year there was a big push for a group of Seattle buyers to purchase the Sacramento Kings and use the franchise to re-create the Sonics. The money was just massive, but Sacramento put forward a lesser bid that was accepted to keep the team, simply because the leagues don't like moving teams.

Now, teams moving is an unfortunate fact of life here in the US, but in Europe it's literally unthinkable. It doesn't matter if your team plays in a shithole and you can't get the funding to fix it, you play in that shithole with your fanbase until you get the funding or the stadium collapses and you can't play, and then the franchise folds, a group of rich supporters buy the rights, build a stadium, and you start all over again, maybe with "AFC Shithole" rather than "FC Shithole", and you've lost all your players, moved down several league levels, and don't have the prestige to rebuild. The MK Dons/Wimbledon FC issue was the first major American-style move in English history, and it was so horribly controversial no team will ever do it again. It got somewhat better for the old Wimbledon supporters, a group of fans decided to start AFC Wimbledon, and have recently managed to get MK Dons to return all the trophies and such to them, and are now trying to get them to drop the nickname 'Dons', since that's historically the nickname for Wimbledon FC.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I actually forgot the third controversy, which is when your team is taken over by rich Russian oligarchs, Arabian oil barons, or just Americans, and a segment of your fans get all pissy and bitch about how these people are ruining football and split off to create their own team that's TRUE to football. Not even the biggest-name teams are immune to this: FC United of Manchester was created by a pissed off group of Manchester United supporters.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

It's because Croatia, presumably, has lax citizenship requirements. So you hire a guy you want, then send him to your Croatian feeder team for 3-4 years until he gains citizenship. Since Croatia is in the EU, that means he can avoid work permits.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

eta: Oh god, is that a TPP avatar, Sky Shadowing? Ok, my finest compliments to whoever unseats this monster from our club presidency!

Nuh uh, I put my old avatar back. :colbert:

That avatar was a good idea when I was thinking of it, but in practice, I wasn't that happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Zip! posted:

If there isn't a way to stop dear old Meteor disappearing for months every couple of years would you just change his nationality (Welsh!) or are we just going to have to learn to live with the situation?

We could convince him to retire from International Football, but that's practically impossible at this phase, I'm guessing.

Short of using the editor to game the situation, no, we're poo poo out of luck.

• Locked thread