Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

B It's probably the best way to really show off LLM. A is too easy, and C is too likely to get you replaced by a new manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

To be fair, the World Cup is just really wonky, even with real players. Last time I played, Theo Robinson of Jamaica was the Golden boot winner, and Jamaica only went out in the Semis to Spain.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

A: Time to find a new job, and totally destroy this team.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, I'm going to start doing updates in Welsh.

Go for it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I volunteer, my qualifications are that I'm pretty good at 13, not so great at 14. In 13 I did manage to bring a team from the BSN up to the Premier league though.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Unless their Youth System has totally imploded already, Norwich is the best bet.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

1) Maintain the current wage budget and transfer budget (32k/wk and 15.5k).

I don't see any reason to increase either the wage budget or the transfer budget at this time.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Goddamnit guys. What kind of board are we? Giving money to a new coach for some stupid reason like "all our good players aren't actually ours". How are we supposed to line our pockets when we blow all our money on stupid poo poo like this? Get it together lads.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Its a fan owned trust, we are unable to get at the assets or cash on hand in any way, except as a honarium at board meetings.

Good sir, that has never stopped embezzlement before, and it drat won't stop me here.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

A

What kind of board keeps agreeing to a manager's requests? You got the last one, so you should be happy for a couple of years.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

AAAAA

(Assertively) This board has given you everything you've asked for, and you just continue to ask for more and more. If you continue to make absurd demands, the board may need to look into terminating your contract.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I'm going to go with January 19th. No good reason why, just a feeling.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Do I just have to win promotion and more people will come?

That's basically it. Money is always going to be a major issue in LLM though. The last time I managed a BSS team (I guess it would be the skrill south now), I wasn't out of debt until my third year in the Premier League.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I think it's pretty clear that your abandonment of good British football, and the only tactic that implies, is leading this team to ruin. Switch back to god's formation, the 4-4-2 before it's too late!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

(Aggressively) We give you everything you ask for over the break, and how do you repay us? By losing 6 loving nil at home? We've given you the second highest wage bill in the league, and you have us in twentieth? You're going to have to shape up, or we may be searching for a new manager soon.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

QUESTION ONE: WEEKLY SALARY
£900 a week.

QUESTION TWO: CONTRACT LENGTH
1 year extension. You want more, you have to be higher than 19th.

QUESTION THREE: SET PIECE FOCUS
A) Focus on scoring from set pieces.

QUESTION FOUR: YOUTH TALENT FOCUS
A) Focus on bringing in youth talent.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

He's not having a great season, but he's doing OK.

Not sure if I agree with that. Wrexham had the second highest wages early this season. While none of us were realistically expecting promotion, it's pretty safe to say that we've underperformed this season. Even with the wages we've gotten off our bill, we're not spending like the 19th best team in the league.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

If he's average or better, the 2 year deal at 950 a week is a steal. We lock in a manager at a 10% discount to market! That's good value for a small club - trying to lock him up at 20% below market is just saying 'please leave our club and take the Welsh coaching job' If he's below average, we should fire him at get someone better - we have a good wage budget and can afford a better manager.

Honestly, if I was running the club, I'd have probably fired him already, but because he did win promotion last year, I'd be willing to give him one more year; assuming of course that he doesn't get the club relegated.

But, to be fair, I'm trying really hard to stay in character as someone just here to embezzle money.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

BBB
What kind of board keeps giving it's manager everything he asks for? This isn't the LLM experience I know and hate!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

AAAA

4 years, £1,100 a week, with yearly increases of 5% and a promotion increase of 20%.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

If the game won't let me do both at once I'll take over a national team once Wrexham are giants of Europe and aim to win the World Cup.

You are certainly able to do both jobs at once. Now, I doubt your coaching Reputation is anywhere near what you'd actually need to get the job, so you're probably going to get laughed off.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

And does the scouting translate back?

You do get some knowledge of the players, but again, I really doubt his reputation is going to be high enough to get anything higher than a U17/U21 kind of job. Not to mention it's harder to get a national team position when you aren't of that nationality.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

i81icu812 posted:

Can you still turn old players into coaches/assistant coaches?

It depends. Near the end of a player's career, you can suggest certain staff roles to him. Now, there's no guarantee that he'll want that job, or even that he'll want to stay in football, but if you badger him enough, you can usually get him signed as a staff member. No guarantees that he's even halfway decent though.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

ACAA

At some point this board won't humor you and give you everything you ask for. I just pray that day is today.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Jenner posted:

doesn't higher tiers of play have a mandatory amount of UK you need to field?)

They just need to be trained in England/ English league. Unless we sign a bunch of foreigners, it's not going to be an issue. Now, once we get to the Premier league, and we have a realistic shot at good foreigners? That's a different story completely.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Going to go with 19 players. The combination of a robust youth team, and a possible slump late in the season, leads me to think we're going to have a whole bunch of complainers.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

A

Nope. Wage structure is there for a reason.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I think I figured out who he is. Adrian Vranic is probably our Mateo Mujkic. He's been around since the start of the game and was at a little soccer academy in Australia when my coach recommended him to me. In real life he was at a little soccer academy in Australia because the Australian pro teams wouldn't know talent from a hole in their head, and he was snapped up by Dinamo Zagreb. That explains why he had such great stats at such a young age, he was a wonderkid that was blessed by the RNG when the game was created.

Well, it can't be Vranic, because he isn't in FM14. At all. There isn't a Vranic younger than 23. Did he start at a club other than AIS? There doesn't seem to be anyone who even remotely fits the profile starting there in the database. Hell, no one at AIS has a potential other than 0, which is totally random, anyways. It looks like you just managed to get really, really lucky with a regen. Congrats.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

How important are fans in keeping a club alive in higher leagues? I men, Wrexham comes from a small town so will the small pool of fans have any tangible influence on what we'll be able to pull off in the Premier League, or is it already affecting us now? I imagine ticket sales should be getting increasingly marginal in the budget, as well as merchandise sales?

Eh. We're probably never going to be Man City / Chelsea rich, but the real money comes from the Premier League TV deal and Champions league money. Everything else is nice, but not as important.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Goddamn. I thought just surviving in the championship would be a good season, and you've managed promotion. I know that normally I play the role of "No money for you" guy, but after that performance, you have to get something.

1: C
Better to go into the red our first season in the Premier League and stay up, than stay in the black and go down. You get your money.

2: B
We have no real shot at getting the best young kids, the ones who are going to qualify for work permits, so a way to get that second tier of kids European citizenship is incredibly useful. Hell, if we're really lucky, we might manage to get a Belgian or Croatian team that plays in Europe anyways.

3: A
I think an improvement would be nice, but with the budget I've voted for, I doubt the club has the money for both. If we stay up, maybe next year.

4: B
Go check out the other leagues in South America. Sure, the best kids come from Brazil and Argentina, but you can find some good young players for cheap, if you're willing to look hard enough.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah. I'm tempted to get Wrexham well established in the EPL and then go take over Newport County. Sadly I can't make the EPL 25% Welsh as Merthyr Town isn't playable under the default settings I started the game with.

Doesn't Colwyn Bay start in the Conference North? That would be a fifth.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

What are the residency issues that we would need to overcome if we found a South American or Caribbean wonder-kid that we would need to know about so we can decide if it is worth it at this stage to invest in more scouting powers?

The simple answer is to use a player who doesn't have a European passport, you need to get him a work permit. To get a work permit, the player either has to be absurdly good, or have played in 75% of his nations international appearances in the last 2 years, for a nation ranked in the top 70, and I think they also have to be a starter for the club team you're purchasing them from. So it isn't all that easy, especially when you're trying to get players from Argentina or Brazil, where some really good players can get totally shut out of the national team. However, if you have a work permit feeder club, you can sign a player who won't get a work permit, and then loan them to a club, usually either in Croatia or Belgium, for a couple years so they can gain European citizenship.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Wait, so not only does Australia, of all nations, have two phenomenal players, but you've signed both of them? How on earth does that work?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You get the 3 year contract at £50k/wk, 20% yearly raise, but neither of the other two escalators. You've certainly done well, you don't really have as much leverage as you seem to think you have. One year in 7th place in the Premier league isn't enough to get you to a megabastard club, which are really the only improvements over Wrexham you could get in England.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

Thanks for the responses. I have one more question

Obviously there are plenty of guides for FM but is there a team or at least league that will let me experiment with those guidelines with little risk? Think of Ireland in CK2.

Most megabastard clubs work well for that purpose. Man City or Paris Saint Germain are good enough to make nearly any decent tactic work, and they've got the money to buy nearly anyone they'd want. Just don't try learning the game with a low level club or a club in a terrible league.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

CAAAB

You get your transfer money and your shack, but the academy and recruitment network are pretty irrelevant at this point, the cost isn't worth the expense at the moment. Wrexham's like 3 youth upgrades away from actually getting kids who can realistically someday play at a premier league level, just invest it instead in foreigners.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

And I just hosed up everything.

The autosave saved over the game. I wasn't thinking and didn't realize that my main save was an autosave rather than a regular save file, and would thus be overwritten after three months. The closest to reality is July 16th, 2020, as opposed to the original time line date of May 17th, 2020. I've been fired, and the new Wrexham manager has had 2 months to gently caress everything up. I can fix things, for the most part, but Arsenal still got nuked and Wrexham has lost all of it's coaches and sold a bunch of players. My last correct timeline save is May 5th of 2019, a full year back.

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.

Ouch. That's really rough. Hopefully it can be saved.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Top 4: Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal
Bottom 3: Blackburn, Watford, Bristol City.
Champion's League: Man U
FA Cup: Man City
League Cup: Chelsea

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

See if they accept 25 million, something like 15% of next sale, any other add ons you can think of, and a friendly. If the big boys are coming in for him (And since one is, that means the others aren't far behind) then we don't have a great chance at holding on to him. Hell, the fact that we've kept him this long is pretty amazing. And, at Barcelona, at least we don't have to play him twice a year.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

Munin posted:

I wonder how far people managed to take a team of amateurs.

Well, Queen's Park in Scotland is hardcoded to stay amateur, so theoretically they could win the SPL and go on to the champions league. I don't know if anyone's ever actually managed that though.

blakout posted:

I'd love as a challenge getting a team like the USA or Italy or Australia to the world cup.

The real challenge teams are nations like Lichtenstein, San Marino or Andorra. I know someone managed to win the World cup with Lichtenstein in FM 13, so they're all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

No don't gently caress over some team, just give some random, tiny team a sugar daddy instead. Don't you want to see San Marino be the best team in Italy?

• Locked thread