Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Like Rexim, I've just finished a read-through of the thread, having started it a week or so ago. It's been a surprisingly gripping read. I was childishly delighted with Bailey's triumphant return and, ah, re-education, and gobsmacked when Sky Shadowing took over Southampton. Thank you, Habeas. It's been a hell of a ride.

One of the things that's impressed me most about the game is how accurately it models the sheer random chaos of soccer results. Whilst better sides will usually win over poorer sides, and big gaps in quality do shine through, soccer is very variable, and the best team may well not win on the night. Refs are definitely a significant part of that turbulence, but there's a whole boatload of other factors as well.

I'm not suggesting this excuses poor refereeing, or justifies its continued existence. I'm only pointing out that even with perfect rulings, the game would still be damned chaotic and unpredictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Man. This thread is starting to feel like something out of SAS.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
BAI-LEEEY! BAI-LEEEY!

I'm voting B and B, with a contract of 2033 in honour of Glukhovsky.

But I also think you should be getting a small bonus raise for each Manager of the Month, a sizable bonus for getting the USA into the top 10 international teams, and a decent salary penalty for any competition you don't hit the quarter-finals in. We expect great things...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
If we'll do both in time, then hell, let's prioritise the Megabucks. B.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
C A A A B, the little buggers.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Bastable: 23. Thiago: 18. Difference +5 Bastable.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
[INT. Night.]

JUSTIN BAILEY is in a darkened sports hall in the middle distance, picked out by a spotlight. He's playing keep-up with an odd-shaped ball, pulling off athletic moves to bounce the ball off knee, shoulder, chest and head as often as off his feet. The only sounds come from his amazing ball-work. As we close in, he lobs the ball into the darkness. Another spot picks up MATEO MUJKIC, who charges into the lob with a roar. He taps it back up into the air as we swoop in towards him, and then slips into a spinning roundhouse kick. The ball seems to almost hang in the air as he whips round to hammer it. Just before impact, the camera zooms in to clearly show that it is, in fact, the severed head of Man City manager PATRICK PATTISON.

Pattison's head flies through the air in a shimmer of lightning. Tall iron braziers flame to show the head smashing into an eight-foot-tall pyramid of severed heads. Many of the faces are painted with Tackleford colours on their cheeks. A blood-red throne sits atop the mound, snarling Welsh dragons its arms. Seated within it, managerial candidate GHOSTWOODS glowers out at the camera.

A golden slogan in a simple, sans-serif font fades in over the screen:
WREXHAM

A moment later, the rest of the slogan appears below it:
TOTAL CONQUEST

[Fade to black]

Style: II

Policy: A, D.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

habeasdorkus posted:

And which nation do you hail from, Atilla Ghostwoods?

Greece. Like Alexander, I weep at the thought of there being nothing more to conquer.

(Mainly, I'm English IRL, but where's the fun in that?)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Wales, the USA, and Greece.

Three nations united in greatness.
Courage. Creativity. Might. Will. Spunk.

Three nations with a manifest destiny, culminating in the shining blade that is Wrexham. Our foes will be ground into dust. We shall tear down their stadiums, and sow the earth where they stood with salt.

Wales, the USA, and Greece.
TOTAL CONQUEST.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Sure, I know Dreamsicle is Mr. (or Ms.) Charm Offensive. Which is great. But this is just a friendly reminder that I'm the candidate Scott Brown himself* supports!

habeasdorkus posted:

Ghostwoods gets my vote, because I loathe Patrick Pattison with the heat of a thousand suns. Also, we're rapidly going to reach the point where the real challenge is seeing if we can go undefeated in a season. We didn't make any huge additions to the club and I accidentally let the Bastard go and yet it's mid-December and we've lost 1 match. Well, 2 matches.

* or, at least, the man who wears him like a glove...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I find your lacks of faith... disturbing.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
TO: Scott Brown, Manager
SUBJECT: Re: Recent disappointments

A little birdie tells me that the well-oiled chap with the ice-lolly has been waving his handbag around in your direction. Just wanted to reassure you that he isn't speaking for the whole board. If you never lose a battle, you're not taking any risks -- and if you don't take risks, you wither and die.

All will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well.
G.

PS: I'll have that voodoo doll of Pattison on your desk by sundown. Many chickens died to bring you that imitation.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
£175 mil, to offset the skinflints suggesting £110.
C), because it's clearly the best bet.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

habeasdorkus posted:

Man, Charles is NEVER going to get to be King.

That's the idea, even if we have to flood the Queen's carcass with embalming fluid and replace her joints with remotely-operated servo mechanisms. The Royal Mimicry Corps drills 20 hours out of every 24 in the correct pronunciation of "One's Corgis".

All Hail Her Most Glorious And Eternal Majesty.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

habeasdorkus posted:

We need a nickname for Stringel:
The kid is becoming everything I could have hoped for, though he still lacks in mental stoutness.

Lacking mentally, really great at dribbling, not too perjorative... How about The Madman?

As for a competition, why not try guessing specific places of four or five less-certain teams in the Premiership. That would be easy to score, and allow plenty of variability. For example, say, final placing of West Ham, Stoke, Leeds, Southampton, and Liverpool.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
World rankings:
Argentina
England
Mexico
Portugal
Wales
France
Colombia
Uruguay
Germany
Spain

Total transfer: £138M.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

AJ_Impy posted:

200M, and use your discretion.

A, we'll get the youth upgrade later, we need our trophy winners in top condition.

^^^ This.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Wrexham
Man U
Chelsea
Man City
Arsenal
Stoke
Everton
Southhampton
Swansea
West Ham
West Brom
Spurs
Reading
Leeds
Liverpool
Watford
Palace
QPR
Huddersfield
Burnley

Champions: Wrexham, Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City
Europa: Arsenal, Stoke, Everton

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

habeasdorkus posted:

Good news, everyone! After three friendlies against other real live people, I was not exposed as a clownfraud who is actually terrible at Football Manager. But we certainly didn't blow anyone away, I tip my cap to Revenant Threshold, InsertNameHere31, and Obliterati for giving me and the boys from Wales a stiff challenge.

You didn't win a single match, did you... :)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Brony Hunter posted:

Using my local knowledge here *flexes*

Okay, for our new stadium, we are demolishing the dire Eagles Meadow shopping centre, because gently caress that place. It's an eyesore and was an utter waste of money that's crippled Wrexham's high street. Atop it's smouldering ruins we are building our new ultra super stadium, which will be convienently located near the town centre, bus depot and train station, with it's entrance on Yorke Street. It will be called the Tommy Bamford Ground after a real life Wrexham legend and the club's leading goalscorer. As there is a severe lack of fine drinking establishments to entertain our loyal fans nearby, we'll also be buying up property on St. George's Crescent, such as the Subway and that terrible Thai food place no one goes to because it's loving awful and the only time I've ever been there I got food poisoning and was sick for two days. In the place of these lovely eateries will be Yr Tafarn Glyndŵr, a glorious new sports bar and pub that has exclusive deals on Wrexham Lager for season ticket holders. Free pies on matchdays, with 2-for-1 pints for an hour after each game.

As for the Racecourse, we are of course keeping ownership of it (and the Turf pub too, leave my Turf alone!). As we are dominating the world of football, our old stadium will be used to begin our rise in another sport - Wales' national sport, Rugby Union. (Sorry Crusaders fans, Rugby League never cut it up here) With bribery and vague threats we will convince the WRU to incorporate a fifth Region and professional team, the Wrexham Warriors, based at the hallowed Racecourse. From here, we shall begin a quest to climb the ranks of the Pro 12 and European championships until all rugby teams before us lay shattered like so much chaff on the wind.

Outside the Racecourse, a massive golden statue of the God-King will be crafted, with legends such as Bailey and Meteor gathered around his throne of skulls that is build atop the corpses of players and managers from teams that tried, and failed, to stand before him.

I like this (although I prefer Serperoth's statue, despite the skull-throne).

That Fenway place looks nasty, though. What's iconic about a huge Bank of America advert?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

habeasdorkus posted:

Hey, now. Fenway is the oldest pro stadium in America.* It opened in 1912.

Yeah, OK, that's pretty cool. I retract my doubts, Sah!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

The Sandman posted:

Brony Hunter has my vote, although I do think he should consider Serperoth's suggestion for the statues.

This, precisely.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'm happy to still be on the board, but if you want to dismiss me to make room for someone else, then hell, go for it. Maybe I'll turn up running Prestwick or something :)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

TorakFade posted:

So... is this really dead? :(

Habeas hasn't posted to SA at all in over six weeks. I'm just hoping he's doing OK.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Steam says he was last active 5 hours ago, so I think he just moved on from the thread/SA.

That's good to know. I'm glad it was nothing nasty. Ta.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Great to see you back, Habeas. Happy new year :)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Wonderful, Habeas. Superb performance! What a finish to the season -- and what a start to the (real) year!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
180M.
A.
180K.

It's all coming up Scott!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The young'uns look good. More importantly, farming children appears to be a very profitable sideline.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
A
Syria
India
Bahrain
Kuwait

B
Australia
China
Oman
Singapore

C
Japan
South Korea
North Korea
Uzbekistan

D
Iran
Saudi Arabia
Lebanon
Qatar

Quarter Finals
Syria v South Korea
Australia v Saudi Arabia
Japan v India
Iran v China

Semi Finals
South Korea v Australia
Japan v Iran

Finals
Winner: Australia v Japan
Third place: South Korea v Iran

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Hmm. Suppose I've got to be a bit different to TheMcD, even though the Euro leagues are really predictable... Hmm.

La Liga: Real Madrid
Bundesliga: Bayern
Serie A: Juventus
Ligue 1: PSG
Eredivise: Ajax

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Stop panicking, people. All those Ds. Gah. Relax, we're good. Just got to monetize our children properly.

£175m, C, C, D

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Going to sneak in at the end of the prediction contest to guess...
38 pyramid games
+44 goal difference
2.3 average

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'd like to see budget around 140M, so I'm voting 170M to make up for the skinflints.

Then I'm down with A, A, 0%, 0%. Let's not gouge out loyal fans too hard.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I don't know whether to support Wrexham or Juve, given the stakes.

But Ed Phillips sounds so ancient that I'm worried (?) he's going to have a heart-attack during half time!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
English Championship, American MLS, Italian Serie A, Spanish La Liga, German Bundesliga.

B: I think it's time to give Justin Bailey his chance to shine.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Whoa, those injuries seem to really be blighting the US team. Good to see you left Wrexham strong enough that the AI can't run it into the dirt, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Wow. Congratulations!

• Locked thread