Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

Something for people to think about now that the LP is alive again and most people have caught up reading. I'd like to set up a Goon Cup for this summer's update, with people using their own teams in a single elimination contest. So I'd like to gauge people's interests for one that'd run in 2-3 weeks.

I'd be down for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Dreamsicle posted:

Dispersal beat me 3-2 in extra time. His AMC, Jordi was really good and I also made a poor tactical decision by not having a CB sub and I moved to a less defensive formation. All credit to him for having a good team and shutting down AU Sergio Aguerro and David Silva.

Was a lot fun and extremely tense. Every time Dreamsicle's midfielder (I think?) Ange Kouassi touched the ball I was getting nervous. Didn't help that he opened the scoring in like the third minute. Also your team has some seriously skilled tacklers!

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Sicke posted:

Welp that means that there will be atleast one Orange team in the Finals

Orange supremacy.

I won't be around at all tomorrow, Sicke, but I'm pretty flexible Wednesday and Thursday.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

JamesBCrazy posted:

That could be a problem. Here in Massachusetts, we hate orange.

Apparently a large proportion of us in this tournament live in Massachusetts. Not exactly what you'd think of as a Football Manager hotbed, but here we are.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Sicke posted:

I am good for Wednesday anytime after Champions League is done for the day, and on Thursday 11 AM to 1:30 PM PST

Okay, Wednesday after the games are done works for me.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Sicke posted:

In the Goon Cup

I got demolished by Dispersal and it wasn't even close

Luton 5-1 Barnet

Good game, Sicke!

It was a lot of fun. My central defender Osvaldo "the Chilean Zdeno Chara" Cerda was just too much for Barnet to handle.

Looks like an all Boston final, Habeas. Looking forward to it.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, I have no clue how he has English eligibility when he was born in Wales to an American father.

He's still refusing my callups, now to the main team for World Cup qualifying matches against Panama and Surinam.

Updates have stalled over the last week due to both work and trying to put together a suitable capper on my years at Wrexham. I'll get to them sooner or later, and I still need to play the Goon Cup final at some point.

I'm off this week, so let me know if/when you'd like to play the final.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

Wrexham did not complete the Dectuple, sadly, falling to Dispersal's Luton Town 3-2 after extra time. It was a hell of a game, and one where Wrexham was bossed around for almost the entire first half. Stringel gave us the lead, then we lost it with 18 minutes left from the 12th corner we conceded on the day. Stringel gave us the lead in extra time with a goal that was definitely offside, but once again our set piece defense let us down and Dispersal stormed back to score twice more from a corner and an indirect free kick respectively.

Congratulations Dispersal! You are the champion of the Inaugural Goon Cup!

Thank you to all of the participants, it was a ton of fun.

Truly an unbelievable game and one worthy of being the final. As I said to Habe, I thought I was going to have to break out the Mourinho conspiracy talk after that offside goal from String.

Thank you again for organizing the tournament and I hope it becomes something of a tradition.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Since the FM thread is almost entirely FM '15 these days, I'm going to ask this here - have any of you experienced a mass devaluation of ALL players in your universe? For about a month or two every player in my universe lost as much as 40% of their value. My best player went from being worth $100m to being worth $65m. He was still the most valuable player in the world, but it was very weird. I got some killer deals on contract extensions because of it though.

And Habe - the kid on my team that you were raving about when we played, Aboubacar Ouattara, just won the Ballon d'Or at 22 years old. :)

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Dreamsicle posted:

So I noticed in one of the appendices regarding the status of football there was a Campeonato Brasilerio and Campeonato Gaucho. I thought that Gaucho was the second tier of Brazillian football but Gremio competed in both leagues. What do each of these leagues do?

Also if you don't mind Dispersal, can I get a history of the trophies you won in your Luton Town save?

Sure. Ill try and put it together Sunday if I can, but I'll get done by Wednesday at the latest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

Sorry, I've been busy these last few months whipping Mahrez, Kante, and Vardy into shape. I told you that offseason field trips helped build team unity!

I think the real issue is that I've played right up to the start of the World Cup and now am worried about failing. Especially since IIRC we lost two of our three tune-up matches against relatively easy teams. I probably shouid have ended things after winning the septuple, because I really didn't consider how freaking hard it would be to win the World Cup as the USA, and anything less than a World Cup will be (rightly) seen as a dent on my legacy. Heck, even Bruce Arenas made it to the Quarters.

This weekend I'll finish my career as coach, one way or the other. It may take a bit longer to write things up.

PS: Paul Williams is the David Moyes of our little universe. Ugh.

Just play the Witcher 3. Or OOTP. Which I am struggling to get in to, despite a lifetime obsession with baseball and fantasy baseball.

• Locked thread