Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

FUUCCK..missed out on a classic indy race?

gently caress me.

Also, did you see the famous celebrity covering that year's Indy 500? He also happens to co-own a team as well

David Letterman

Letterman did the '71 500, not the '73.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU-PDAQWcXg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The three trips to Japan for NASCAR are on YouTube, but I don't know if '96's TBS feed was ever added or if it's still the Japanese one. Those might be worth a watch at some point, especially for the bizarre one-off driver combinations.

I watched a little of '97's pre-race show last night. Kenny Wallace and Kenny Irwin DORIFTUUUUU and Dale Earnhardt being interviewed by a Japanese man are among the highlights.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Sorry I disappeared last night, my internet has been poo poo for like two weeks now.

Also, yeah, the '73 Indy 500 is a loving terrifying race to watch, Imola '94 doesn't hold a candle to it in the least.

e- and Fuzzy, you missed two classic 500's last night, I also put up the '60 500 that Smokey won with Rathmann driving the Ken-Paul Special.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

I watched a little of '97's pre-race show last night. Kenny Wallace and Kenny Irwin DORIFTUUUUU and Dale Earnhardt being interviewed by a Japanese man are among the highlights.
Jim Richards on the front row of a NASCAR event. Baffling.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 28, 2013

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

dsriggs posted:

Jim Richards on the front row of a NASCAR event. Baffling.

A one-off and he starts second. Those races were fun for baffling driver/team combinations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Anybody want to watch something?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Sure! I just put on the 1980 Lumbermens 500 from Mid-Ohio. Second generation F5000 based Can-Am cars, combined field with GT cars, too. I'll restart as soon as someone joins.

e- this owns, the cars own and the race is hilarious so far

e2- also holy poo poo Hurley Haywood in a not-a-Porsche

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 4, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Ok no one ever showed up, so tomorrow at 8pm EST I'm gonna put on the 1980 and 1981 Lumbermens 500's from Mid-Ohio. Can-Am and GT combined fields, like 40 cars on the track. Relative parity between the two classes. It's actually 3 classes, because the protos are the 5 liter F5000 style, plus a sub-2 liter, Formula 2 version. Stuff like Frisbee Lola's and Holbert Chevrolet's. Then the GT class is stuff like Porsche 935's and Chevy Monza's.

So 8pm EST on 1/4/14. They are some pretty cool and obscure races, well worth a watch IMO.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 4, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I wound up unexpectedly tied up. Here's to random racin' tomorrow night.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Ok no one ever showed up, so tomorrow at 8pm EST I'm gonna put on the 1980 and 1981 Lumbermens 500's from Mid-Ohio. Can-Am and GT combined fields, like 40 cars on the track. Relative parity between the two classes. It's actually 3 classes, because the protos are the 5 liter F5000 style, plus a sub-2 liter, Formula 2 version. Stuff like Frisbee Lola's and Holbert Chevrolet's. Then the GT class is stuff like Porsche 935's and Chevy Monza's.

So 8pm EST on 1/4/14. They are some pretty cool and obscure races, well worth a watch IMO.

I wanted to show up, the link didn't work. :smith:.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's all good, tomorrow is better anyway. Plenty of lead time on a Saturday night, hopefully we get a full crew.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

VikingSkull posted:

It's all good, tomorrow is better anyway. Plenty of lead time on a Saturday night, hopefully we get a full crew.

Show some American Sports Cavalcade and/or Group C sportscars and I'll be there.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They are Diamond P races, but not American Sports Cavalcade. Brock Yates is one of the announcers. Both are 45 minutes long or so, then after that we can find something else.

Plus these are the cars immediately before Group C/IMSA GTP. Open cockpit mostly, and really loving wild looking. Almost like a mid-90's WEC car hosed a mid-70's F1 snorkel car.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 4, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Just bumping this as a reminder that tonight at 8pm EST I'm going to be playing some second-generation Can-Am from the early 80's at Mid-Ohio. Fun to watch and the car designs are awesome.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Just bumping this as a reminder that tonight at 8pm EST I'm going to be playing some second-generation Can-Am from the early 80's at Mid-Ohio. Fun to watch and the car designs are awesome.

I may or I may not be a little late due to some family stuff.

I want to see some awesome racing at my hometown track though, so this sounds likes a blast.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Just putting out a feeler- how interested would y'all be in classic F1 stuff, dating back to '84? Would be a stream, not Synctube, but the principle is the same.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm interested.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The iRacing Pro Race of Champions is about to start. Real drivers, vidja games. COME ON IN!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Fuzzy and I are still in here, being complete rednecks watching an old tractor pull.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

We're watching the 2001 24 hours of Daytona... Yeah really.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Just putting out a feeler- how interested would y'all be in classic F1 stuff, dating back to '84? Would be a stream, not Synctube, but the principle is the same.

If its the race where Prost had to cry to race control about the rain so Senna wouldnt win in his 2nd race, make that poo poo on a sunday night and I am down.

Actually if its any race where I get to call Prost a loving bag of tools/Senna does something :syoon: Im probably down for.

Edit:

Personperson14 posted:

We're watching the 2001 24 hours of Daytona... Yeah really.

If you can find it, watch the 01 Iroc race at Daytona. Its worth it just to see every driver ask "how the gently caress did Earnhardt save that". And Eddie Cheever poo poo himself when he realizes who he ran into the grass going into turn one.

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 5, 2014

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Danica! posted:

If its the race where Prost had to cry to race control about the rain so Senna wouldnt win in his 2nd race, make that poo poo on a sunday night and I am down.

Actually, Senna had a broken suspension when the race was stopped, which meant Stefan Bellof would have won had it continued. :v:

Monaco '96 ruled, too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Danica! posted:

And Eddie Cheever poo poo himself when he realizes who he ran into the grass going into turn one.

He knew he was in trouble when he got dumped off 2 on the cool-down lap.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

When we gonna start watching "Shootouts", "125's", and "THE GREAT AMERICAN RACE" in preparation for "Speed Weeks"?

e: "Classic 500"s to watch

-2002 (lol Sterling Marlin)

Keep wanting to come up with a list.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 6, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

'91 and '02 sucked.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

2002 was good, 2004 was lovely.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

2004 was a yawner.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

2004 was a yawner.

Sentimental for me due to JR. winning it :unsmith:.

Last NASCAR race I truly enjoyed, after that? Jimmie, The Chase, and COT squashed it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
2005 and 2007 were good seasons, you baby

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah there were plenty of great races after 2004 also.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Smoke at the 2011 finale has to be one of the best drives ever in most any form of racing.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Personperson14 posted:

Yeah there were plenty of great races after 2004 also.
Of course there were, Jeremy Mayfield won twice.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

2005 was a good season until the Coke 600 when Jeff Gordon ran anywhere from unprecedently bad to absolutely putrid and many things that could go wrong did. YES I'M STILL BITTER DAMNIT I WAS AT THE RACES WHERE HE HAD HIS ONLY TWO TOP TENS THAT SUMMER.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Remember 2007 when Jeff Gordon scored 30 top 10s and lost the title anyway? :colbert:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Remember that time Matt Kenseth won the title with only one win and Nascar changed the rules. :negative:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Boomer The Cannon posted:

2002 was good, 2004 was lovely.

Didn't Ward Burton win 02?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Yes. Which alone makes it awesome.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The 2002 aero package was not good, but the race was sort of hilarious anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The 2002 aero package was not good, but the race was sort of hilarious anyway.

Yeah even on the broadcast they said it was 2000 like aero which that isn't a good thing to say. It was very hard to pass the leader. Still mad Gordon decided to get hooked by Marlin, he had that race in the bag since no one could pass him and the DEI cars were taken care of... well except Michael.

• Locked thread