Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Yes. Which alone makes it awesome.

Exactly.

Seeing Sterling Marlin go "Leon Lett" just makes for an amazing watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

quote:

Yeah even on the broadcast they said it was 2000 like aero which that isn't a good thing to say. It was very hard to pass the leader. Still mad Gordon decided to get hooked by Marlin, he had that race in the bag since no one could pass him and the DEI cars were taken care of... well except Michael.

I have blocked the '00 500 from my memory. THAT race was dreadful.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Luckily we all caught the remake of the 2000 500 last year

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Put up some "so bad they're entertaining" races (Monaco '96 or anything ARCA.)

And no '05 USGP. I was there and thought there was gonna be an honest-to-God riot.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
Nurburgring 1999, a wet mess that almost saw BOTH Minardis in the points (and did see both Stewarts on the podium :scotland: ) Also, Spa 1998, starting with the biggest single wreck in the history of Formula One and finishing with Damon Hill's last win :britain:
More recently, trying to remember which of this past year's tire blowout fiestas in F1 was the most entertaining...

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Put up some "so bad they're entertaining" races (Monaco '96 or anything ARCA.)

And no '05 USGP. I was there and thought there was gonna be an honest-to-God riot.

I have 96 Monaco, 05 USGP, and also all of F1 Decade of the 94 season. 1994 was so loving wacky it's worth it to watch all of the races.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I also have a bunch of F1 Decade stuff from '94-'95 on tape. I remember the '94 German GP being a pretty :psyduck: race.

1994 and 1995 might both have had the highest total of flat out loving awful drivers of any seasons in F1 history.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

BMB5150 posted:

Yeah even on the broadcast they said it was 2000 like aero which that isn't a good thing to say. It was very hard to pass the leader. Still mad Gordon decided to get hooked by Marlin, he had that race in the bag since no one could pass him and the DEI cars were taken care of... well except Michael.

And Michael was offed about 10 seconds before Gordon turned himself around off Marlin's bumper.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

I have 96 Monaco, 05 USGP, and also all of F1 Decade of the 94 season. 1994 was so loving wacky it's worth it to watch all of the races.

'05 USGP with Varsha, or just BBC-types?

What I'd like to do is to create a "side by side" version of the US 500/'96 Indy 500, and watch both of them at the same time.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I'd rather forget both those races ever happened, personally.

E: The '99 Euro GP someone mentioned is good, too. Murray and Martin flipping their poo poo when Coulthard spins off is particularly great.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 7, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

1994 and 1995 might both have had the highest total of flat out loving awful drivers of any seasons in F1 history.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Somehow, the four teams not to change drivers in 1994 were Tyrrell, Minardi, Footwork, and Pacific.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

That Larrousse lineup in particular is something special.

Fun fact: Hideki Noda was the only Japanese driver to win a CART event of any kind (Lights race at Portland in '97), and I think the only Japanese driver to win an AOW race before Sato won Long Beach last year.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Somehow, the four teams not to change drivers in 1994 were Tyrrell, Minardi, Footwork, and Pacific.

There were a lot of terrible crashes, dumb punitive suspensions. Which, considering Pacific only qualified twice that year, that rules them out. And the line ups for the other three aren't actually so bad considering they didn't do one of the previous.

Williams - Driver died (obviously)
Bennetton - Driver burned alive, dumb suspensions.
McLaren - Punitive suspension
Lotus - Zanardi was injured going into the year, and then the team went broke.
Jordan - Punitive suspension, (lol Irvine lol)
Ferrari - Driver injured in crash
Simtek - Driver died, another got in a horrible crash afaik with his legs hanging out the front of the car.
Sauber - Driver in horrible crash, in a Coma.

Larousse, Ligier and Lotus also just traded drivers that year :wtc: which was pretty funny.

1994 in general was a pretty depressing season. I have the Autocourse for that year and still read it from time to time. My favorite story is when Senna died they thought Hill was poo poo at testing cars (Not that Senna was brilliant at it, as it was traditionally Prost's domain at McLaren but they still valued his opinion highly) and Damon would test the car and say "it sucks, it understeers" (due to them removing the active suspension the car was unbalanced) and they were like "lol shut up Damon". So then they got Mansell in and first thing he says is "car sucks, it understeers" and Damon went :smugbert: and then took the fight to Schumi in the next race.

Also, Cleveland was the first CART race after Mansell was in Formula One and that perked HIM up and he had an unexpectedly good race.

Tl;dr both Mansell and Hill were headcases.

actually tl;dr 94 sucked really bad due to all the deaths and bad injuries.

triple edit! Also the other thing to do in '94 is watch Schumi on the starts. It's amazing how good his clutch control is, he's the only one who :airquote: doesn't seem :airquote: to get wheelspin off the starts.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 7, 2014

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

'05 USGP with Varsha, or just BBC-types?

What I'd like to do is to create a "side by side" version of the US 500/'96 Indy 500, and watch both of them at the same time.

With Varsha. 96 Monaco with Walker. I was half way to getting Monaco on ESPN which had iirc, John Watson and someone else. Watson still commentates for the GT3 races.

94 was just bizarre. Deaths, wacky incidents, dumb gently caress drivers, literally a ride buyer for Lotus who took Zanardi's spot, Taki Inoue, crazy rules, and no better way to finish it in one of the most controversial ways.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Taki Inoue

Dear God, this guy. His bio on F1 Rejects should be required reading. People give guys like Yuji Ide poo poo for how bad he was in F1, but at least he and most others were quite good in other formulae. Taki was poo poo in EVERYTHING.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

With Varsha. 96 Monaco with Walker. I was half way to getting Monaco on ESPN which had iirc, John Watson and someone else. Watson still commentates for the GT3 races.

I'd really like to see that, just because I wasn't following F1 at the time.

I seem to recall reading something about Eddie Cheever doing races with Varsha back in the 90's, and Danny Sullivan of all people doing F1 races. (which is odd because his F1 career was literally a year).

When did ABC/ESPN give up the rights to F1 to Speed? I swear I watched the 05 race on ABC. (I didn't follow it, just my dad and brother both were more interested to see what was going at IMS).

But yeah, if you have any more US Broadcasts, I'd love to see those.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Varsha, Hobbs, and John Bisignano were the usual ESPN guys when they covered F1.

CBS (I think--may have been Fox or even both) also covered a few races a year in the mid '00s, usually with Ralph Sheheen on commentary.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

The 1994 Belgian GP was interesting, I watched it the other night.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Varsha, Hobbs, and John Bisignano were the usual ESPN guys when they covered F1.

CBS (I think--may have been Fox or even both) also covered a few races a year in the mid '00s, usually with Ralph Sheheen on commentary.
yeah, it was CBS and Ralph Sheheen and Derek Daly IIRC. Then they FINALLY did the sensible thing and give it to Fox, so they could just run Varsha Hobbs and Matchett on the big stick.

Speaking of which, this might be a pinch offtopic but what is Varsha doing this season? Is he still with Fox?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

AceFace905 posted:

Speaking of which, this might be a pinch offtopic but what is Varsha doing this season? Is he still with Fox?

With how much he knows of Barrett and Jackson Car Auctions Schedule (I poo poo you not it's on FS1, 2, Fox itself, Fox Business :wtc:, and Nat Geo :psyduck:) so I guess he's still on Fox.

Fuzzy, I do remember just for the USGPs in the early 2000s ABC televised them with Jenkins. I think it was a special one-off contract ABC got from Bernie that probably paid more than Speed would. Also Speedvision took over in 98 for Formula 1.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

With how much he knows of Barrett and Jackson Car Auctions Schedule (I poo poo you not it's on FS1, 2, Fox itself, Fox Business :wtc:, and Nat Geo :psyduck:) so I guess he's still on Fox.

Fuzzy, I do remember just for the USGPs in the early 2000s ABC televised them with Jenkins. I think it was a special one-off contract ABC got from Bernie that probably paid more than Speed would. Also Speedvision took over in 98 for Formula 1.

After the 2002 Indy 500 they mention showing the Monaco GP after the race with Danny Sullivan being on site for the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U_bvAVfGQU&t=81m19s

(what is odd is that NBCSN was bragging about the Monaco GP being on Network TV in the US for the first time ever, which appears false according to this)

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

After the 2002 Indy 500 they mention showing the Monaco GP after the race with Danny Sullivan being on site for the event.

(what is odd is that NBCSN was bragging about the Monaco GP being on Network TV in the US for the first time ever, which appears false according to this)
Oh it was on Wide World of Sports back in the day. But this was I think the first time it was LIVE on network TV in the US.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Hmmm I wonder if it's that free cable air rule that F1 instituted. BBC still televises F1 because of that rule. CBS aired Monaco and a couple others in 06. My guess it had Sullivan and someone else there but Speed was also commentating too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

So when are we going to watch some more racin'?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

So when are we going to watch some more racin'?

up for anything tonight if anyone else is.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I've got an old ARCA race up if anyone's up for that.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Come watch ARCA with us.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Why for the love of god were you watching CCWS from 2005?

Why?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I suggested it and even posted during the race that I eventually felt bad for doing so.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

1995 LOL ARCA action from Talladega starts at about 8:15 Eastern.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Paging pnut, we got some old NHRA coming up

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

Paging pnut, we got some old NHRA coming up

Darn.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
1990 Winternats, where K.C. Spurlock won Funny Car in his first race in class after qualifying last, and Lori Johns went and defeated Hill, Prudhomme, Bernstein, LaHaie, in that order, to win her first Top Fuel event. It owned hard.

Spurlock had a two week old F/C license and only two full runs in the car prior to the race.

Unfortunately Bruce Allen in the Reher-Morrison car lost in the Pro Stock final :(

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 12, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I actually watched some, and then was so intregued I downloaded some NHRA and IHRA games and they were worse than hitler teribad. I was hoping it would be like Sprint Cars / Dirt Track Racing in general where it is a niche audience but with really great games. (RIP Ratbag :smith:)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
IHRA had a good one on the first XBOX but yeah they are usually really loving bad.

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

If anyone's up early, I loaded a few random things to watch. Currently watching the USAC 2006 Ted Horn 100 and have the 1998 WoW Duel in the Dakotas, 1978 CART Machinists Union 150, 2010 North/South Modified Shootout and 1996 IMSA Watkins Glen.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Tyler posted:

If anyone's up early, I loaded a few random things to watch. Currently watching the USAC 2006 Ted Horn 100 and have the 1998 WoW Duel in the Dakotas, 1978 CART Machinists Union 150, 2010 North/South Modified Shootout and 1996 IMSA Watkins Glen.

I think you'll fit in just fine 'round these parts.

e- OLD COMMERCIALS, Y'ALL :toot:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 12, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

That 1978 CART race is at :siren: Trenton :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey Tyler/Xeljanz, I was poking fun at Andy Hillenburg in the chat when I said "I don't know when the next race is, but we'll be there" and "It's next week". Hillenburg said that seemingly not knowing that the next WoO race was the next week at Eldora.

• Locked thread