Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Viking should host a USAC pre-1982 tribute night. There are some Silver Crown races up on youtube that feature guys like Unser, etc.

also, does anyone want to do "Dario Franchitti-Tribute to a champion". I kind of want to host a night to honor him, and feature the '98 Road America race, '07 and 12 500's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I did two mod races, Outlaws at Syracuse, and supermods at Phoenix last night. You missed out, man.

damnit!

loving work.

Gotta try to make it out to one of those nights.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I kind of want to create a big fancy intro for each racing series ala the ESPN Classic Canada intro for "The Best of CART".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln0a5PRX12E

Maybe LASTCAR could work his way magic? :)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

We need to do an IROC Night, just because.

Also, a "Dario Franchitti-Honoring a Champion" night.

Anyone down?

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 22, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Personperson14 posted:

IROC at Talladega, 1992.

Sorry I didn't show up tonight, I was planing on it, but real life got in the way for once.

Edit - here you go Pnut http://youtu.be/kY76_O2j5wE?t=27m40s

e: Peter Halsmer (whom I'm related to by a marriage) raced in this race.

what. in. the. gently caress.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I think he was hurt and didn't start. They had his car parked on pit road "symbolically".

I guess he was a 3 time class winner at the 24 hours of Daytona.

And won some titles in IMSA/Trans Am.

I'd like to call him up some time and ask him what the hell he did, because his accomplishments sound amazing. My dad's only met him once, (sadly at a funeral).

Tried asking Varsha and all I got was "Look him up on google". Which well..hasn't provided me much.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Dude, you post in racing threads and you're related to him by marriage, but you don't know who Pete Halsmer is?

I'm slapping you so hard in my mind right now.

I've just RECENTLY got into Sports Cars.

My background was in Stock and Indy.

Prior to all of that my knowledge of him was "Well, he raced in CART for a year, and the Indy 500 twice".

His path to Indy is kind of unusual because how many folks from Indiana have you seen race the 500 WITHOUT a background in Silver Crown?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Ok, my Weds. thing again. Tonight starting at 7pm EST I'm gonna screen the Can-Am movie BMB graciously uploaded, then after that it's a free-for-all, maybe taking requests.

Be there or be not-a-nerd.

Phoneix USAC/CART/IRL maybe?

since we're kind of discussing it in the Indy thread?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

FUUCCK..missed out on a classic indy race?

gently caress me.

Also, did you see the famous celebrity covering that year's Indy 500? He also happens to co-own a team as well

David Letterman

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Ok no one ever showed up, so tomorrow at 8pm EST I'm gonna put on the 1980 and 1981 Lumbermens 500's from Mid-Ohio. Can-Am and GT combined fields, like 40 cars on the track. Relative parity between the two classes. It's actually 3 classes, because the protos are the 5 liter F5000 style, plus a sub-2 liter, Formula 2 version. Stuff like Frisbee Lola's and Holbert Chevrolet's. Then the GT class is stuff like Porsche 935's and Chevy Monza's.

So 8pm EST on 1/4/14. They are some pretty cool and obscure races, well worth a watch IMO.

I wanted to show up, the link didn't work. :smith:.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Just bumping this as a reminder that tonight at 8pm EST I'm going to be playing some second-generation Can-Am from the early 80's at Mid-Ohio. Fun to watch and the car designs are awesome.

I may or I may not be a little late due to some family stuff.

I want to see some awesome racing at my hometown track though, so this sounds likes a blast.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

When we gonna start watching "Shootouts", "125's", and "THE GREAT AMERICAN RACE" in preparation for "Speed Weeks"?

e: "Classic 500"s to watch

-2002 (lol Sterling Marlin)

Keep wanting to come up with a list.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 6, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

2004 was a yawner.

Sentimental for me due to JR. winning it :unsmith:.

Last NASCAR race I truly enjoyed, after that? Jimmie, The Chase, and COT squashed it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Yes. Which alone makes it awesome.

Exactly.

Seeing Sterling Marlin go "Leon Lett" just makes for an amazing watch.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

I have 96 Monaco, 05 USGP, and also all of F1 Decade of the 94 season. 1994 was so loving wacky it's worth it to watch all of the races.

'05 USGP with Varsha, or just BBC-types?

What I'd like to do is to create a "side by side" version of the US 500/'96 Indy 500, and watch both of them at the same time.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

With Varsha. 96 Monaco with Walker. I was half way to getting Monaco on ESPN which had iirc, John Watson and someone else. Watson still commentates for the GT3 races.

I'd really like to see that, just because I wasn't following F1 at the time.

I seem to recall reading something about Eddie Cheever doing races with Varsha back in the 90's, and Danny Sullivan of all people doing F1 races. (which is odd because his F1 career was literally a year).

When did ABC/ESPN give up the rights to F1 to Speed? I swear I watched the 05 race on ABC. (I didn't follow it, just my dad and brother both were more interested to see what was going at IMS).

But yeah, if you have any more US Broadcasts, I'd love to see those.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

With how much he knows of Barrett and Jackson Car Auctions Schedule (I poo poo you not it's on FS1, 2, Fox itself, Fox Business :wtc:, and Nat Geo :psyduck:) so I guess he's still on Fox.

Fuzzy, I do remember just for the USGPs in the early 2000s ABC televised them with Jenkins. I think it was a special one-off contract ABC got from Bernie that probably paid more than Speed would. Also Speedvision took over in 98 for Formula 1.

After the 2002 Indy 500 they mention showing the Monaco GP after the race with Danny Sullivan being on site for the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U_bvAVfGQU&t=81m19s

(what is odd is that NBCSN was bragging about the Monaco GP being on Network TV in the US for the first time ever, which appears false according to this)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

So when are we going to watch some more racin'?

up for anything tonight if anyone else is.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Everyone bail?

I'm on right now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

For those not watching the Chili Bowl because you don't get MavTV, let's fire up Winter Heat for a re-air of the ASA race that's in there.

Then, :siren: ARCATONA '93 :siren:

:ssh: IRC has the Chili Bowl.

don't tell anyone.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mrn-classic-races/id440569219

I came here to post this.

Classic USAC Gold Crown (AKA Indycar) and NASCAR races are being posted by MRN on ITunes!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

going to attempt to run this tonight.

feel free to suggest whatever the hell you guys want in terms of racing stuff.

e: 1991 Indy 500 Highlight Film (Gee what a shock!)

and a special on Lauda and Hunt.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 29, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Some guy posted "Super Speedway" up on a video hosting website.

It's not illegal, but I don't want to link it (Due to fear of it getting taken down). But it's on a legitimate one.

Anyways, it's on the playlist now. I have no idea if now would be a good time to watch it due to it being DAYYYYYYTONNNNNNA-time, but this is something we should watch soon.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Funny enough I bought that for my father on xmas. I know it's a pretty good watch of just things with Mario and Michael Andretti and Newman-Haas shaking a car down at Homestead in '96.

There's three other movies I want to hit up sometime.

Le Mans
The Last American Hero
Grand Prix

Some of the cinematography in those is flat out incredible. Plus you got Steve McQueen, Jeff Bridges and James Garner in each of them.

I know the first two are on youtube. The last? drat impossible to find unless it's airing on AMC or you have the DVD.

Also, we still need to do Six Pack!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

On September 3rd, 1995, a NASCAR Winston Cup race and a PPG IndyCar World Series race were held on the same day.

On the same network.(ESPN2)

For some reason this makes me want to watch them back to back.

The races were the "Southern 500" and the "Vancouver Indy" respectively.

Anyone else game to watch those?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

In watching the '93 New Hampshire race with CART.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'd like to do a night of drivers getting screwed out of wins over horseshit calls.

Pretty much in honor of what I keep seeing in the NFL.

I know a few for Indy, (lol USAC), but what are some from NASCAR we can watch?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

"Huh, it's Daytona 500 week. Maybe ESPN Classic are showing classic highlights'

-notices that there's nothing scheduled-

Huh, well that sucks.

Yeah. Watching some Daytona highlights.

Come on in if you want. Let's marathon this poo poo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

seriously fuzzy get in IRC

I got my rear end in there.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It's late, and I'm bored.

I'm going to watch some indycar stuff. But please feel free to come in and add whatever awesome stuff that would be worth watching.

e: I'm watching a "Nova" special on CART from 1993 fwiw.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Watching a documentary on Richard Petty from 1972...come on in if you want.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Possibly Chicken posted:

We figured that richard petty movie needed to be saved for a better time, thing looks like mst3k levels of amazing.

Yep, now watching the 1986 Michigan 400. A cup race.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Watching the closest NASCAR has ever come to racing at Cleveland.

IROC at Burke Lakefront!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

I don't really want to get my stuff on Youtube just to broadcast it on Synchtube, so I was thinking of just doing a livestream. I don't think there's any other racing going on Wednesday so I'll put something up on the evening probably.

Formula Un or what would this be? i'm intrigued either way.

e: I have the 05 US GP via ITV fwiw. I'd LOVE to get the US version of events from that day.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 4, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

I was going to show NASCAR, though I have a shitload of F1 on here as well.

Anyone up? Could get started tonight, if only to test this thing out.

sure.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I have a night off, so I am going to watch some USAC Silver Crown from HOMESTEAD of all places.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Watching some racing in there.

come join me.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Gonna watch some Michigan/US 500's tonight.

Hanford Devices FTW.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IRP night tonight.

Because IRP loving owns.

e: 2002 Busch Series at IRP! Join me. (ALL THE TENDERLOINS!)

fake edit: SMOKE IS COLOR COMMENTATOR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

In honor the grand tradition of ESPN Classic airing marathons of auto racing around the big events in this country (whilst I continue to watch like some insomniac). I made a (TEMPORARY) channel to honor one of our grandest traditions in american auto racing.

https://synchtu.be/r/WorldSixHundred

Also I'll be making an Indy 500 one as well. Feel free to throw more "The Winston"/"Coca Cola 600" races at this thing, as I'm just using the current one as really a skeleton. I'd REALLY like to find that FS1 doc. they did on the history of the race last year. If anyone knows where that is? Add it up.

• Locked thread