Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Godholio posted:

98% of the insanity he posts is completely believable for all the wrong reasons. I'd love for his writings to define the Cold War for thirtieth century historians. :v:

A guy I knew who was in Vietnam said the most accurate Vietnam movie was Apocalypse Now, not because of historical detail or truth but because it captured the actual insanity of the war. I like to think that 50 Foot Ant's posts have the same relation to the late 80's Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Entire Universe posted:

I wonder if it was some kind of coincidence that a handful of cultures from all over that corner of the Med decided to run sailing raids and it's just a fluke of a historical blind spot that the cultures doing the raiding aren't represented in the record for one reason or another (maybe they wrote everything on wood or something)

There are a couple of historical records from the POV of the Sea Peoples. An epic poem which was written down a few centuries later and survives to this day details the Akhaioi, a bunch of pirates and raiders, destroying and plundering the Hittite city of Wilusa. There are also first-person accounts by some of the Shasu nomads who overran the Egyptian province of Canaan and destroyed most of its cities.

• Locked thread