Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
Last thread had a long chat about different naval guns and artillery development in general. It left me thinking about the effectiveness of certain types of artillery. For example, I learned that the 16 inch (406mm) naval cannon delivers only about 150 pounds of TNT in one round. What is the impact of such round when it hits the target? Penetration? Kill radius of the shrapnel? Are there any charts on the effectiveness of artillery cannons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

jaegerx posted:

Just stumbled on this on wikipedia, forgive the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_R._Fox

I read somewhere that it was common for forward observers in WWII to call fire on their own position if the situation was desperate. Does anyone else remember such occasion or is this just a myth?

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

, but I'm a bit puzzled about how it managed to hold out during the Great War.

This is quite a good picture of fort Doaumont before and after the battle of Verdun. What artillery sees, artillery destroys.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
I was just about to post that table on GDP.

I understand that USA had huge industry base, but USSR's GDP is so small during war years? I presumed it would have at least tripled after 1942? Soviets produced insane amounts of tanks. Why is this not showing in the statistics?

Somewehere I also saw a graph on war material spending during 1933-1939. The German spending was five times more than UK and France combined. That really explained Germany's early success as they were the only country prepared for war.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Tias posted:

I feel like mentioning Stalingrad here, where one T-34s armour was too thick for German grenadiers to penetrate, so they just kept wailing on the front plate, till the crew emerged to surrender, all completely deaf.

That was Beevor's Stalingrad and the opening days of the invasion to Soviet Union. The tank in question was KV-1, which Beevor described as "KV Tank Monster". According to the story, German panzers lined up and pounded KV until they ran out of ammo. The KV's crew emerged from inside deaf and dazed, but tank did not have a scratch. I'd love to have some verification to this story.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Rabhadh posted:

Did they even practise bayonet vs bayonet fencing?

Bayonet fencing was regular practice in all armies until last few years. It was discontinued as a physical exercise when the bayonet fell out of fashion. Jukendo (art of bayonet fencing) is still practiced in Japan by civilian and military personnel.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

This caught my eye. I recognize 82nd airborne, 101st airborne and British Pegasus division. Whats is that hog and Finland's flag insignia on the top row?

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What was the largest artillery bombardment of all time?

I remember reading somewhere that the largest artillery bombardment was done by Soviet Army on the final assault on Berlin.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
WWII question: I have heard several times that British and American generals hated each other. The Army loathed hated each other openly and US Navy disliked Royal Navy so much that Admiral King refused to supply Royal Navy ships in the Pacific. What was the reason behind this animosity? I find this relationship quite strange as both were fighting the same enemy?

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
I need to know answer to this old WWII question concerning Waffen-SS. I have this argument quite often with my relatives and friends. They are not exactly wehraboos, but they have taken the regular old stance that Waffen-SS was composed of some sort of super-soldiers. You know, those volunteered hardcore nazis, who were better trained and better equipped than the regular Wehrmacht soldiers. I have understood from this forums, that the case was in fact opposite and Waffen-SS units had inferior gear and performed poorly in combat. Some of the late warSS units were just ad hoc combat units that disbanded in the sight of first battle.

I need to get some good arguments from you to prove that Waffen-SS was not such a death machine after all. What was the basic training of the SS soldier when compared Wehrmacht? Better or worse? The equipment got better as the war went on, but did the high command ever favor SS units when delivering the good stuff to frontline? Which were the good combat proven SS divisions? Is this anywhere near the actual truth:

1st SS division: Hitler's bodyguards and therefore tough hardcore nazis?
2nd SS division: Das Reich, parade troops and therefore tough hardcore nazis?
3rd SS division: Totenkopf, concentration camp guards and therefore hardened war criminals even before the war started?
All other SS divisions: Complete poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
How pacifism worked in Germany in WW1 and WW2? How could one become a contentious objector in Germany before and during WW1? I suppose it was impossible in Nazi Germany in WW2?

• Locked thread