Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Koesj posted:

Bullshit flavored yes, but the guy was probably there going by the amount of stuff he couldn't make up otherwise.

I wonder how much similarity there is between 50FA stories and primary sources. If his stuff survives ~500 years, maybe he'll be another Herodotus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey Rodrigo, HEGEL, and company? Y'all missed a couple relevant threads:

The History Book Thread!
Ask Me About The Early History of Islam

Great thread, by the way.

I liked the ethics questions you got the first few pages, so:

What is the most important lesson we learned from the World Wars?

Don't draft a punitive peace treaty and then fail to enforce it?

edit: and what do you make of the concept of the Highland Charge?

basic steps that I can discern are:

1 get as close to the Brits as you can without getting made (less than 100 yards if possible)
2 bellow and run up to like ~50 yards or so
3 fire volley
4 drop muskets, draw sword
5 charge home ASAP, hopefully under the cover of your own gunsmoke

Was it actually a useful tactic for the Scots irregulars (were they irregulars?)?

e2: it didn't work too well at Culloden, certainly.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 15, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

My (uneducated) guess was that it might have been a CYA effort. If the uprising succeeded, Uncle Joe could say "hey, I sent some guys to help y'all, now vote in a pro-soviet legislature" after the war.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Bah. GURPS 3e sourcebooks are cleary the best historical texts you can get.

So what's the deal with Japanese castles? They look relatively indefensible to my Western eyes (relatively low stone escarpments under what appear to be wooden ceilings and paper walls). But presumably they worked else the daimyo wouldn't have kept building the drat things.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Come to think of it, what happened to relations between France and the Ottoman Empire after the revolution? Suddenly France is all different and they king's guillotined and meanwhile the Sultan is the autocratickest of the autocrats. Did they assume they were safe since all of Central Europe separated the two powers or did they start getting nervous?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

One thing that confuses me about the whole standing army thing is I've been to a couple bases and there are still a lot of chairs.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I read in unreliable sources that those things could break the operator's shoulder if they weren't held just right by a very strong man.

edit: referring to the German WWI AT gun, not the PTRD.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Only real hope the Shermans would have would be to outnumber the M1 by a lot, maneuver it into a corner, and ram it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I like the fat dude who's had his breastplate let out in the second picture.

Mitsuo posted:

Kind of a fan of 1632 though

that's actually Eric Flint, probably the closest person to a leftist that Baen ever published.

edit: what's the most recent military use of an ancient fortress? I heard some of the FSA holed up in Krak des Chevaliers last year.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 7, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

And how fast did they have to go to achieve lift?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

True story: I was at that Festival of Books or whatever (the one the LA times hosts at UCLA) a few years back. There were a few tables with sci-fi authors doing signings. One had John (Joe?) Scalzi and a line, the other had Turtledove and no line. I had a copy of one of Turtledove's books in my hand (How Few Remain I think) and one of Scalzi's. I wandered about halfway down the 'line' that turtledove had, then turned around and walked to the end of Scalzi's line. He looked sad. I still feel bad for that.

So: Turtledove's a Byzantine (Eastern Roman, whatever) scholar. What of his academic works? Here's a review of his translation of the Chronicle of Theophanes apparently one of the few sources on the Eastern Empire from AD600-800 or so:

George T. Dennis, S.J., Catholic University of America posted:

THEOPHANES, The Chronicle of Theophanes: An English Translation of anni mundi 6095-6305 (A.D. 602-813), trans. Harry Turtledove. (The Middle Ages.) Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1982. Pp. xxiv, 201. $25 (cloth); $8.95 (paper).

THERE ARE periods in Byzantine history for which there is more than one narrative source, and the historian must compare their data. For the early centuries, though, there are not many such sources or, indeed, much writing of any sort. For most of these years the chronicle of the monk Theophanes is our most accurate and often our only source. Yet these were incredibly critical years in the history of mankind. Half of the Roman Empire was being ruled by barbarians. The eastern half was just barely hanging on and was soon cut in half again. The remainder was under relentless pressure, at times even overrun, by Slavs and Bulgarians to the north and west and by Muslims to the south and east. If the empire had gone under, as it very nearly did, so would Europe have gone, and the western civilization we know would have been grossly deformed or simply aborted. While the empire did find the resources to hold off its external foes, it was nearly torn apart by a conflict within, the struggle over religious images, iconoclasm. The empire survived and came to prosper, but it had been profoundly transformed. In 602 it was recognizably Roman; in 813 it called itself Roman but it was clearly Byzantine. The chronicle of Theophanes, sometimes sketchily, sometimes in detail, records what happened during these
obscure but formative years.

Theophanes strove for chronological accuracy and set a model for subsequent chroniclers. His coverage of events in the Arab world is surprisingly exact. While he proposes to report the facts, his own feelings, particularly on iconoclasm, are not hidden. He never, for example, mentions the name of the iconoclastic emperor Constantine V without some such qualification as accursed, wretched, enemy of God, bloodsucking wild beast, and he delights in retelling the unpleasant incident at his baptism which earned him the sobriquet of Copronymos. Nonetheless, he also records things which put Constantine in a favorable light, such as his military victories. The reader gets the impression that, whatever Theophanes' own views, he can be trusted in recording the events of his time. It is only recently that this important history has been translated, part of it into German in 1957, and the present translation into English, which covers the years 602 to 813 A.D. or, since the Byzantines dated from the creation of the world, the anni mundi 6095-6305. Undergraduates
and scholars as well now have access to a first-rate source for an otherwise obscure period.

The translation impresses this reviewer as quite accurate. It is generally easy to read, although some of the phrasing sounds a bit awkward, but then, the original is no literary masterpiece. Turtledove's introduction is short, informative, and to the
point, and there is a good index. Brief explanatory notes accompany the text, fortunately at the bottom of the page. Some additional notes, however, might have been useful, for example, on towered ships (p. 8), a heresy concerning fasting (p. 48), the covered Hippodrome (p. 173). Some may find the transliterating of names slightly overdone: Nikaia, Kilikia, Kappadokia. One word which should have been transliterated, though, is the vestment worn by the patriarch, the omophorion, as it is usually called; it should never have been translated as surplice (pp. 100, 129), a strictly western garment worn by everyone from altar servers to bishops. The organa
which Irene transported to Thrace (p. 143) may have been musical organs, as in the German translation, and not tools. Stoudion (p. 162) should be corrected to Stoudios. Apart, then, from one error regarding ecclesiastical dress, there is nothing serious to fault in this translation. It is a good piece of work which makes a significant source available to all of us. To give the press its due, I should add that the book is quite nicely presented, and its price is reasonable.

Here's a JSTOR permalink: http://www.jstor.org/stable/2853825

Any of ya'll read his stuff? I'm wondering if his scholarly works have the same... quality as his sci-fi.

e: this probably should go in the Rome or medieval history threads but it seems like we're talking about him here.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Wait, that's WWI? The hats scream ACW to me.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

When did the Scots regiments drop their kilts anyway? WWII movies tend to feature the kilts, but were they actual battlefield attire then? If so, when? I seem to remember some Scots regiments (black watch?) getting shipped over to Iraq after OIF. Did they wear kilts then?

edit: what about undies?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Brits were still in red coats up till 1880? Crazy.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What about Flamberge blades? You know the swords what had the wavy bits like the SE Asian Kris knives only they were like 6 feet long? Were those just parade accessories or did people actually fight with 'em? Musta been a challenge to sharpen.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

When did the Brits give up their shell weight measurements in favor of metric bore (shell?) diameters?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Possibly apocryphal: Romans had a class of gladiators who specialized in this. They'd fight each other with solid helmets with no eye or ear holes.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Don't you dare fix that spelling. It's thread appropriate.

What do you make of the claim that the Sea Peoples were precursors to the Semites (Hebrews/Arabs)?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Libluini posted:

Concerning the latest military inovations, this really makes me fear the next great war. Sending in drones and robots like they are normal soldiers just because their leaders subconciously expect them to work like conventional military weapons will end up in a collossal disaster.

How will it be a colossal disaster? I mean yeah, much like the MG in 1913 we've only used 'em against under-teched Arabs, Pakistanis and Africans, but does anyone really know what a drone-on-drone war will look like?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

That it happens at all is noteworthy, and the only one I can think of was a single eight-man section charging a position. The dude in charge got a shiney medal for it though.

And thus the bayonet's use will continue.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

the JJ posted:

I think Hegel's talking about a more formalized 'checklist' after which a commander (not the feudal owner of the fort) could surrender and not face :commissar:ing from their own side. E.G. 'stores were at 50%, they shelled us for 8 days, it'd been 8 months and you fucks never sent help, so... yeah we surrendered.' The return of the :commissar: thus, led to more assaults.

I think it was more a direct threat to the population: IE: surrender after your fortification is rendered indefensible (IE a breached wall/gate) but allow us to enter peacefully instead of forcing the breach and losing a lot of guys and we won't/might not sack the place.

Hogge Wild posted:

:wth: that must be the cleanest Oglaf!

There are cleaner ones yet. You gotta scour the archives for 'em, though.

e: like this one: http://i.imgur.com/VmSZjUA.jpg

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 8, 2014

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

a travelling HEGEL posted:

So I'm reading a book on military superstitions

When you've had time to digest it could you give us a highlights reel?

v: drat.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 12, 2014

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Can we go back to that line about living conditions being better than civvy life even in WWI? I mean, if the guy's talking about life in the trenches then he's obviously full of poo poo (tried to read the article twice but the Beeb's site seems to crash this crappy laptop), but wasn't there a huge logistical tail behind the front? I would not be surprised if even enlisted men were doing better than otherwise.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Doppeldrones?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

What are we looking at here?

There are homing pigeons in those guys' packs.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ah, the Russian M1901 Bird-poo poo Vest. Useful for when you must disguise yourself among piles of guano.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hastings says as much in Armageddon. Front line troops were too busy actually fighting to do much whereas second echelon and service troops 'settle' down into towns and cities and stay put for a while.

I've seen that expanded (in fiction, I think) to a sort of 'clean Red Army frontliners' myth where the combat troops are more than just focused on fighting, they're downright chivalrous. Is there any truth to that? 'No' seems like the most reasonable answer but just in case there's a little :unsmith: to be found on the eastern front...

Also, totally different question WRT to training regimens. Let's say you're some kind of rebel organization in poorly-held lands, and to use probably apples to oranges examples AQ in Afg and the IRA in 1920s Ireland--how different/hard would it be to organize those types? In both cases you've got relatively experienced soldiers readymade - WWI vets in Ireland and... returning jihadis? Tribesmen with some Afghan on Afghan experience? or whatever in Afghanistan.

The two organizations have broadly similar goals (drive the foreigners out) but a completely different set of tech, terrain, raw mateerial (and command experience?). They're broadly similar also in that they have fractious populations that generally don't like outsiders, I guess.

How comparatively hard would it be to train up the smallest operational unit of AQ or the IRA? What is that unit anyway? I'm assuming a 4-10 man squad.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Aren't there a few service rifles that eject shells straight forward/down?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Regarding the bullet-through-prop-thing: I've heard that early on a few really nutty pilots actually mounted their MGs behind the prop without plates or interruptor gears and just kinda hoped they didn't blow off their propellers. True/False?

I'm not implying that it was a big thing, just like an edge case or two.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

I remember reading on these forums a long rear end time ago and maybe in this thread's forerunner, the GBS history thread or maybe even an LF mil-hist effort thread that the labyrinthine side streets and alleyways of Paris in the Revolution were conducive to the uprising. I think the reasoning suggested was that thanks to the flighty local belligerents, the topography was great at breaking up troop units into smaller and smaller and more diffuse elements that lost their advantages of massed musket volleys and led to their loss of cohesion and chaotic defeat in detail. There was an implied addendum that the transition to broad avenues of post-revolutionary Paris was to counteract a repeat performance of just such an uprising. I've learned enough from these threads and others that what you've heard and read doesn't necessarily imply historicity and I'm just kinda wondering about how stupid/ how insightful/ or how incidental this hypothetical mattered to the course of history.

I'm not well-educated on the subject, but the guy who handled the redesign was one Haussmann; books on him may be a good place to look. Wkipedia has a coupleparagraphs about the military consequences of the renovations, but you know how Wikipedia is.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That name's vaguely familiar. Did he ever TA at UC Santa Cruz? If he's the guy that I met he's pretty on-the-ball.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Constantinople was not besieged after 1453 but it probably would have been in 1878 had the Russians not been stopped by British intervention in the Russo-Turkish War.

That post reminded me of something that really bothers me about the study of military history.

So, after you mentioned the Russo-Turkish war and that the British stopped the Russians from reaching Istanbul (at Balaclava?) I actually found myself disappointed, thinking "Gosh, I wonder how the city would have held up, I wish the British hadn't intervened." Then I thought about that for five seconds and remembered that 'massive civilian casualties' is more than just a set of words. It's the girl in class next to you with the weird wheeze. The guy at the subway that sometimes smiles at you. Your rear end in a top hat neighbors who play music too loud on a school night. And they're dead.

We've made a hobby (or even a profession) of studying man's inhumanity to man. How do you reconcile that with your morals? How can I?

Apologies if this is more philosophy than history.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Or it means "turned into an enormously expensive floating museum."

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

We even had a Nazi for a while. Emden, if I remember right.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Don't draft animals/riding animals still occasionally see combat use? I remember hearing about a camelry charge by Rangers somewhere in Afghanistan and there are videos of horse-mounted riot police all over the net.

edit: HEY GAL it took me this fuckin long to figure out you were HCT. Jeez.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What about last stands? All I can think of are the Alamo, Thermopylae, that one in Gaul where the Celts counter-besieged the Romans and lost anyway.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Someone made a Sherman "let's burn this poo poo into the ground" in the style of :regd08: . Anyone remember that?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

edit: post in wrong thread i am dumb

edit 2: But thanks!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Regarding catalysts for the Armenain genocide: Keegan makes the claim in The First World War that there were a fair few Armenian volunteers in the Russian army that attacked the Ottoman Empire from the north, and they were a little atrocity-prone. Combine tit-for-tat atrocities with rising nationalist sentiment, and you get stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Maybe that miniseries was (is going to be) made by historians 500 years from now and sent back to our time.

Did Lenin personally slain the Tsar in a swordfight on the Eiffel tower?

• Locked thread