Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The pre-1940 US Army was a complete poo poo show. In a 'would lose a land war to Romania' kind of way. Roosevelt spent the next two years desperately trying to bring it up to speed and it was still way behind when the US finally went to war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sounds like someone just has a really huge hard on for Battleships. Don't get me wrong, we've all been there, but I don't see that ending well.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Why were the Germans unable to capture Leningrad toward the end of 1941? Was it because all of the major resources were transferred to Operation Typhoon? That seems to always be a huge underrated turning point during the war. Obviously the Germans would have lost the war in the end anyway but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple A-bombs got dropped on Germany beforehand.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 19, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Finns were very very wise to not bother making an effort to take Leningrad. Stalin was pretty drat lenient on them while talking terms.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I was pretty surprised when I found out a while ago that the US had thousands of troops stationed on that potage stamp of an island. I just figured there were like a couple hundred support personnel and a bunch of pilots.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So 20+ years after the opening of the Soviet archives are there still lots of things still to be uncovered, translated, regarding WWII or do we have as good a grasp on things as we're gonna get?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So the Military History thread in D&D, is it as bad as I fear it is?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What civilization had the world's first standing professional tank destroyer?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

And you didn't even post pictures?

What's the recoil on that thing?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bringing up awful general chat again, someone needs to talk about General Mark Clark, commander of the Allied forces in Italy. You know, the guy who allowed an entire German army to slip away just so he could be the one to capture Rome.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Alchenar posted:

We need to stop the hordes of Red Army soldiers overrunning all of Eastern Europe (who are only there because Germany kicked down their front door)!

Kicked down their front door and burned down the living room and most of the kitchen too.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bringing home a washing machine as a war trophy would be pretty funny.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I have a question about the German homefront during WWII. What was the domestic reaction when casualties started to mount up in the hundreds of thousands over the first few months in the Soviet Union? Obviously the German populous had been spoiled due to the quick and relatively easy victories over Poland and France, inspiring even people whom may have had reservations about Germany going to war in August 1939 to become full riders on the Hitler bandwagon. But by December 41 the Germans had taken at least half a million casualties. Obviously Goebbels and the Nazi terror-state clamped down hard on any bad news from the front and put their own spin on things but the average German wasn't an imbecile and could see things were starting to go wrong. So in this crucial period, the end of 41 to mid 42 what was the feeling about the war in Germany? Meaning the period before Stalingrad and the subsequent Goebbels rally for the nation to jump on board for total war and a one way ticket on the death-ride express.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 6, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

A KV-2, with a properly placed shell hitting from above, would ruin anyone's day.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Are there any accounts of German soldiers, having broken through the Allied lines during the Spring Offensive in 1918, marveling at the seemingly limitless supply of artillery shells, food, and other provisions and then for the first time coming to the conclusion of "yeah, we're hosed"? I seem to recall reading ones before but I might be confusing it with something else. Maybe when the Germans broke through during the Battle of the Bulge.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Everyone knows that the French lowered the conscription age to 5 years after the 1917 mutinies duh. Learn your history.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What were the tanks that were used in Patton? Were those M-46s used for all the German tanks?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol like the Zumwalts will ever see the light of day. And even if they do they'll go the way of the F-22 and not work in the rain or something retarded.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 12, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Why didn't the US use the Sherman Firefly Ltd. edition(c)?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Are there any good single volume narrative accounts of the Vietnam War? Ideally covering all the way from the French-IndoChina War to the Fall of Saigon? Think A World Undone - Vietnam Edition.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

bewbies posted:

I think Karnow's book is about as good as war books get.

Published in 83, does it still hold up? I would imagine there's been a ton of info released from both sides since the end of the Cold War.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Exchanged autographs? "Hey honey, you wont belive what I got today, a Hitler rookie card!"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

How often does that happen where soldiers just stop fighting and party for a while? I know about the Christmas truce, and I know that it happened some during the Spanish Civil War, but is there anything else?

During the phoney war the French and German troops allowed the other side to relax and play soccer in open fields without fear of being attacked and things like that. The same thing happened to a far more limited extent during the the pre-Battle of the Bulge western front in late 1944.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sand castles.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Why were the US torpedoes so loving awful in WWII?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Could someone please give me a little run-down on why the US intervention in the Vietnam War became such a clusterfuck boondoggle? I know the conflict is a ton more nuanced than that since its basically one long period of war from the First-IndoChina War to the Fall of Saigon but something would be nice.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

gently caress Truman, we should have just told the French to gently caress off when they went crying about restoring order to their former colonies.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

de Gaulle was a huge loving rear end in a top hat too.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Except the Korean War had a specific goal that was indeed accomplished by the war. Protect the sovereignty of SK by driving the invading NK forces back past the 38th parallel.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I have to give Truman credit for one thing though, he was absolutely right to can MacArthur as soon as the dumb gently caress wanted to use nukes against China. And it was more or less Dugout Doug's fault that the Chinese even entered the war in the first place correct?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 2, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

What consequences would have occurred from using nukes on china. Not counting death, destruction fallout, etc from the nukes the,selves.

World War 3?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Was the US aware of how the Soviets were supplying elite pilots to fly Migs for the North Koreans or was that not discovered until much later? I know the Soviets treated it as an absolute state secret but it must have been kind of obvious.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

loving hell they would have been better off using message couriers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

By the war, to the Sea People people. This book is coming out soon and maybe it will be good.

http://www.amazon.com/1177-B-C-Civilization-Collapsed-Turning/dp/0691140898/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_7

On a completely separate note, the details for David Glantz's third volume in his Stalingrad Trilogy have been released. It's split into two books. :ironicat:

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 3, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Germany definitely would have had a greater chance at winning the war if they had only allocated more of their Industrial Capacity points into producing more infantry divisions and uboats instead of heavy tank brigades. They would have also been wise to reduce the expenditure they put into Consumer Goods, leaving only a bare minimum to ensure they remained at 0.00% dissent.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is there truth to the idea that the North Vietnamese had an ulterior motive to the Tet Offensive where they expected the Vietcong forces to become depleted so much that they wouldn't be a factor politically after the war was over? I swear I read that somewhere or I may have just had a feverdream I don't know.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I thought the whole Verdun "bleed the French white" thing was just the general trying to save face after it failed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

bewbies posted:

I don't know about the origin or date of that specific phrase, but the general strategy of the offensive was exactly that. In short, to draw as many French troops into an area that was covered with as much artillery as possible, and blow them up, with the goal of destroying /attriting the French strategic reserve and a maybe even the British if you got really lucky. After the reserves were sufficiently reduced, a major offensive would be launched in the north roughly following the 1914 egress. Basically, Falkenhayn and crew had figured out that no major offensive could be effective while major reserves were still available, so their plan was to destroy the reserves and then just grind it out to Paris.

But then they lost nearly as many troops as the French. So what happened?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Why did Douglas MacArthur, having 8 hours of warning from the Pearl Harbor attack, not do poo poo to prepare for a Japanese attack? He didn't so much as get his planes off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

The French fleet was pretty much (proto-)Vichy France's only bargaining chip at the peace negotiations at Compiègne. The threat to the Germans was that if you continue the invasion we'll take the fleet and what's left of the army and retreat to Morocco and Algeria and then use the fleet against you in the Mediterranean. Add in that they made sure that Germany knew the French navy was ready to scuttle itself if Germany tried anything. So Hitler figured he'd let Vichy have some concessions rather than have the French fleet turn against him.

However this was not enough for the British who saw that if the French turned against them it would more or less neutralise their numerical superiority at sea. So in the words of Winston Churchill "You are charged with one of the most disagreeable tasks that a British Admiral has ever been faced with, but we have complete confidence in you and rely on you to carry it out relentlessly." The British Admiralty ordered the neutralization of the French fleet. French ships in British ports were seized and an ultimatum was delivered to the portion of the French Fleet based at Mers-el-Kebir in Algeria. Basically the Ultimatum said you have a couple of options either defect to Britain,take your ships and sail them to America and have them disarmed there or sink them yourselves. The French waffled though and in the end the British Fleet attacked and crippled most of the French ships that were based there. Needless to say this was very unpopular within France and nearly resulted in the Vichy regime declaring war on the UK and almost scuppered De Gaulle before he got started. It wasn't all bad though I suppose because this act of calculated ruthlessness convinced Roosevelt that Britain would be willing to fight on and led to him pushing strongly for Lend-Lease.

gently caress Vichy France, I don't know why this was controversial at all.

• Locked thread