Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I misremembered my facts from The Price of Glory but Tevery Best gave an excellent explanation of what I was getting at from my earlier post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Erm, taken from his wiki:

Jackie Fisher's wiki posted:

Allenby and the conquest of Jerusalem

Along with General Sir Beauvoir de Lisle, Admiral Lord Fisher convinced Edmund Allenby, that Jerusalem would be liberated from the Turks in 1917 by the British. Before sailing to Cairo to take command, General Allenby was summoned to a meeting with Admiral Lord Fisher. In one of the most extraordinary military conferences of war, recorded by Lord Fisher’s secretary, Allenby was told that he would be God’s instrument for the deliverance of Jerusalem in December 1917. Stunned by Lord Fisher’s words, he asked him to explain his deduction. Admiral Lord Fisher, then spent several hours in discussing the Bible with General Allenby, showing him the prophecies that related to the rise of Great Britain, and lastly the prophecies relating to the deliverance of Jerusalem in December 1917, especially Isaiah 31:4-5. The desolation of Jerusalem was to last 2520 years from the time of Nebuchadnezzar's invasion in 604 BC till 1917. Armed and strengthened by this knowledge, General Allenby sailed for the Middle East.

Several hours.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Godholio posted:

I think this is the best post to follow with this:

Starship Troopers is highly popular and recommended among US military officers. It's been on recommended reading lists, etc.

In fairness though, who really wants to read about the realities or war? (except us)

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

So it was just "charge that gun emplacement on your horses or else :commissar:?"

No, it was a "go charge those guns over there", but there was 3 (I think?) batteries of guns and they chose the wrong one anyway. Its pretty difficult to stop a charge once it gets going though, since moving forward in a big herd comes naturally to horses. Plus they were under fire the whole time so stopping wasn't really an option.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Yeah but you'd imagine a ball gunner would go gently caress this and stick a wrench in there somewhere just in case.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Link that thread yo

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

When did prosecuting people for war crimes become a thing, anyways?

After the second world war 2.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The Unionists were much better armed and had support from both the British army and navy. If a pre-WW1 civil war in Ireland had happened, we probably would've seen the Unionists marching south, the Nationalists turning to guerilla warfare then a whole load of civilian massacres.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

As the English, being part of the Seventh Coalition, were among the victors, I am surprised that they would just leave their dead on the field with full pockets like that. Is that just some poetic licence? Was Thenardier supposed to be wandering around an active battlefield, stealing?

The deal with Waterloo was that everyone was so wrecked tired afterwards they mostly just went off to rest and dealt with the battlefield itself the next day.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Eh... I dunno man, I've seen some pretty blatant stuff in my time but it's mostly some weird form of Irish Catholic voodoo. It's really hard not to laugh on an early morning bus into town, for example, when a couple of the people on it furiously bless themselves three times as fast as possible going past each church. I also enjoy not touching wood when a friend of mine suggests a hypothetical terrible situation, because it drives her nuts to think people aren't taking proper magical precautions.

"Percussive Maintenance" is legit though, that poo poo works.

An old couple once blessed the cinema screen we were in just before the film was due to start, it was one of those exorcism movies from a few years ago. They also preyed along with the priest on screen, that was the best part. This was in the Savoy on O'Connell street.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Since they are bum boats, they are going out. On the face of France.

Matter of perspective really.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

1909 y'all.

Post historical inspired music? Don't mind if I do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xt181Nf7Po

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 14, 2014

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Animal posted:

this protestant culture

Well I don't think this has much to do with it anyway

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
It just reminded me of the "protestant work ethic" myth

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

I always thought that Russia could get cheap horse supply from its Asian regions.

Those horses are not the best quality for heavy cavalry

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I wonder what proportion of arrows delivered had to be rejected due to lovely quality ones being sneaked in the bags.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Obviously they have a shaped charge on the end of their spears.

edit for pic:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I don't think its very biased, but it is BBC made

e: having watched episode 14, I'd say they treated the Easter Rising as fairly as they could, the rebels are called extremists several times, but then you don't really expect the British establishment to understand why a group of people would want to be free of them.

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 28, 2014

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The macedonian shield is like a small aspis without the hand strap at the edge. The whole thing is strapped to your arm leaving the hand free to hold the pike.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
My amateur guess is they're for attaching the carriage to a fortification and/or a ship

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Tomn posted:

By the way, question about the escuadrons (that's how you're supposed to refer to the fighting unit, right?)

In most depictions of the escuadron that I see, there's a central pike block with four smaller musketeer blocks on its corners. My question is, how did such a formation prevent cavalry - or other infantry, for that matter - from charging in at the musketeers and avoiding the lowered forward pikes to flank the formation? Were the musketeers able to withdraw entirely into the pike blocks? (Contemporary depictions I've noticed tend to depict the blocks as being very thick and close together, making it seem a bit of a nightmare to get troops in and out - was that wrong?) Was the very presence of the pike block threatening enough that commanders didn't want to risk sending their troops in close even if the pikes were being threatened from the front? Was it considered too easy to lose control of a unit once you've sent it barreling through a hail of shot and past enemy lines? Was the presence of other escuadrons beyond the frontline great enough a great to dissuade such attacks? Or what?

The "sleeves" of gunners were very mobile, and had the freedom to go where was needed. The pike blocks themselves were a lot more spread out than you would think, as guys needed to be able to move in between them, I'd hazard a man's width between each pikemen is possible. So the gunners would shelter under the pikes and fire at the attacking cavalry. I think there was a discussion about whether pikemen closed formation on the attack but nobody knows, I'd hazard to guess that that if 2 pike blocks came into contact ("bad war") you would have a lot of pike fencing and some men would subconsciously drift, phalanx style, to one side to attempt to gain protection from the man nearest them.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I have some good stuff on the Irish escuadrons that fought in the 1640's, I'll attempt a post when I get home.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah, the Kerls would have looked like this, on a good day:

Hey its Alan Davies!

HEY GAL posted:

Edit: This website thinks that the dispute is between the pikeman and the guy in the buff coat (?) and the card players just haven't noticed yet.

I think that's too thin to be a buff coat. Speaking of them, when did they become a thing? Early 17th C?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Fashion is a scam

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

khwarezm posted:

The Irish war of independence was very low scale, hardly big by any definition, would that count? There was also a war between Hungary and Romania as well as the Turkish war of independence.

I was so shocked when I saw the casualty figures for the Finish civil war compared to the Irish war of independence. I did once hear that Mao liked to talk about the Irish war as the textbook "how to fight a guerilla war against a great power" though.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I don't believe anyone claimed that? The mao story refers to the 1919 to 1922 war

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

It's a single-cause fallacy at it's worst. There was a war, and Ireland was independent afterwards, but the war sure as hell wasn't the main factor. Unless Mao was making a statement strictly on the tactics, it's like saying WWI had no bearing on the birth of the Soviet Union.

He was talking tactics, Mao was only interested in how the lessons from a successful guerilla war could apply to his own war, I highly doubt he gave a single poo poo about Ireland except that Britain was getting hosed over.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Tank Destroyers Best Destroyers

Tank destroyer? I hardly knew her!

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I wonder what a modernisation program could do for the S-Tank.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Didn't it only carry 32 or so rounds?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Tollymain posted:

I am not sure I get the joke, if it's anything more than "this is exaggerated fictional propaganda"

People mentioned the modern military propensity to use hugely outdated equipment a few pages back. I remember when I was enlisted that we used some devices that had designs 50+ years old (though thankfully most of them were around a more reasonable 30 or so). What's the most egregious case of outdated equipment the experts in this thread know of? I don't necessarily limit the question to modern cases, though I find it hard to imagine a greater recorded tech gap than that between the 60s and now :v:

Maille was used for 1000+ years?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Tollymain posted:

Aye, but how many of those years was it obselete?

I believe maille was more superseded than made obsolete

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
People tend to forget that the classic greek phalanx is long dead by the time Rome come poking around. Even by xenophons time the regular (citizens) phalanx is just a mass of guys with maybe a single officer saying "ok point this way and charge". Part of what made the Spartans so formidable was their system of junior officers, and it was the increased use of professional mercenaries that led to the greek phalanx becoming more open and combined arms oriented/dependant. This led to the Macedonian phalanx with the file officers keeping it all tightly controlled. By the time the Selucids and Ptolemies are fighting Rome the sarissa phalanx had swollen to be huge and unwieldy unlike their predecessors. The Hellenic states were tactically bankrupt by their need to stick with Alexanders innovations while forgetting what made them world beating to begin with.

Apologises for wall of text, phone posting.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Argas posted:

It tends to get brought up that they still used repeating crossbows but the only repeating crossbows I've ever seen are those incredibly crappy ones that'd need to be poison-tipped to cause any appreciable amount of harm. On that note, does anyone know anything about Chinese repeating crossbows?

They tend to get hyped a lot on television but I'm not aware of any military use of the repeating crossbow.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The Chinese bronze age crossbow posted earlier seems to have a much longer draw length than that late medieval crossbow. I wonder of the materials just can't stand up to having a draw length of much longer than 5 inches for the 1200+ lb weight.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Agean90 posted:

If only we'd used these on Dresden and Tokyo instead.

You've clearly never been in Berlin for pride.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Yo hegel, where do we do pike talk? Here or the medieval thread? I have some info on the use of the pike in Ireland in the 1580's to the 1600's that that one other guy might find interesting

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

CoolCab posted:

Yeah as I understand it (although I'm not a TFR goon, one can correct me if I'm wrong!) per-rifled firearms were so inaccurate that deliberately hitting a target at anything other then close range is impossible. That's why they fired in volleys. There are semi confirmed rifle hits at 700-1000 yards in the Civil War. The advantage rifled weapons had was enormous.

I think it's often overstated how inaccurate they are. There are a few smooth bore accuracy videos on youtube but as usual you can make what you want of them.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Trenches and field fortifications were common well before the ACW. The only thing really different from an infantry company perspective in the ACW versus the Napoleonic Wars was the range of engagement.

Trenches and field fortifications were a huge deal in Ireland from the Norman invasion right the way through to the 17th century. They're the only way the natives could effectively deal with the superior heavy cavalry of their enemies until the pike shows up in Gaelic hands in the 1580's, helped along by mercenaries returning home, renegade English captains and most importantly wrecked Spanish Armada survivors, but more on that later woohoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The wine was watered down

• Locked thread