Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Chinese bandit fact-

"North Manchurian chiefs, rather than risk pollution by women, evidently preferred to catch or buy small Siberian bears and live with them instead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Do we need an alternate history thread so I can post my 50 page fanfic about a victorious Hong Xiuquan and the Heavenly Leap Forward?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

This terrible sci fi you guys read is giving me a headache. Read the goon created Bio Apocalypse instead.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

my dad posted:

post your violent masturbatory fantasies itt

Once had a dream where I was jerking off and pulled too hard and my dick came off in my hand. I think that counts as violent, masturbatory, and fantasy.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The HYW ended with England completely ousted from the continent except for Calais and the Valois fully in control of the French crown. That is not war weariness, the French achieved their territorial and political aims.

Also, a hundred loving years is a lot of weariness.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Any reccomendations for the drug wars in Colombia during the 80/90's?

I got Killing Pablo but want something about his rise, and something more extensive in scope as well....

E: while im at it, something on Grant, Sherman or TE Lawrence would be nice too

Read Grant's memoirs, they're great.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I could entertain the argument that the early 20's Klan specifically was kind of fascisty, what with all the huge public marches and torch lit rallies and stuff.

e: like not necessarily purestrain fascist, but feeding off the same zeitgeist.

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 22, 2016

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I think what bewbies was talking about was how in the early twenties they were a super hot trendy thing that millions of ordinaryish people joined, and then by the end of the decade Klan membership was tacky as hell with only die hard racists left. It dropped off like hair metal in the 90's, and I think it was as much a social phenomenon as a political one. I know there were a couple of embarrassing newspaper exposes of the Klan that raised awareness of what kind of morons were under the hoods. I remember one of them saying "They'll tell you they're doctors and lawyers under their hood, but look down at their shoes and they've got holes in them."

I once read a history of the 1920's written in the early 30's that talked about the Klan among other subjects. Was an interesting read, especially the stuff that was considered epochal events at the time and are now utterly obscure today.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

:china::I personally don't know much about the details of the Chinese Theatre, but I do think it needs to be addressed.

Start as a swordsman at the Marco Polo bridge.

Defense of the Sihang Warehouse in Shanghai, just copy the Pavlov's house level from the first COD.

Taierzhuang was the first big Chinese victory. At the end you could have the player put on a historically accurate suicide vest if we want to get edgy.

And of course the obligatory battle where the selflessly brave Nationalists/Communists are betrayed by the ever perfidious Communists/Nationalists.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Tekopo posted:

An interesting battle in WWII to have a game based on would be the British Invasion of French Syria, just to see people puzzled about the fact that French troops actually fought the allies.

It was a weird time.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

This really, really, really belongs in the OP.

I think all the OP needs is "just skip to the end and ask your question, reading the whole thing is fun but optional. Also, the answer to "is anyone interested in hearing about _____?" is always :justpost:."

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah. Better guns/more armor won't help a tank that's stuck in a swamp with no fuel.

Trying to read Schwerpunkt now, and I get how people react to my China posts- it's a baffling impenetrable swirl of names and places.

"The 5th fahrfuvnugenstaffel advanced their pzkw6X3sfz tanks over the bridge to diggledigllrbrod," zzzzz

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

(PS P-Mack I take it as a personal insult you won't let me help with old Chinese stuff, considering my ongoing PhD is in Old Chinese poo poo)

I don't think any of my poo poo really counts as "old" though.

Will definitely take you up on that though if I run into some weird old Chinese stuff that's just begging and pleading to be deciphered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The pearl river delta had way too many nooks and crannies to ever stomp out piracy, so it was basically just taking down any given group that got too big for their britches, then coming back three years later and doing the same thing.

Pirates usually wouldn't attack head on, the standard MO was to select the target ahead of time and have a motley crew infiltrate posing as passengers. Then at some predetermined signal they whip out their swords and pistols, off load loot and captives to smaller boats, and disappear. Having jurisdiction split between HK and whichever warlord was running Guangdong at the time also made it easy for pirates to lie low during a crackdown by one government or the other.

• Locked thread