Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

It's a huge cliché but if you want to buy a collection of war songs you can't go wrong with the Red Army Choir. Almost all songs are fantastic and my only regret is that there are no versions of Katyusha on there
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Red-Army-Choir/dp/B000066RMJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The land mines used in WW1 weren't the same as the modern ones you probably know from WW2 and later but they were used, yes. Farmers still often find unexploded ordinance (lots of which are mines) in Belgium.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah I can't be bothered about that sort of stuff when you can walk around in tons of museums and just see piles and piles of similar swords. Now if it were a rare weapon or model, then maybe.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

While we like to pretend we were all resistance fighters in the Netherlands our resistance was pretty much useless. It was not uncommon for British agents to communicate a safe landing space with Dutch resistance forces only to find himself surrounded by Germans casually waiting when he landed. There were a few groups somewhat good at what they did (there was one that literally hid Jews in the same building as the German headquarters in Utrecht, and was successful in this during the whole war) but even our most successful groups never managed to complete for example more then 20 assassinations. People sure as hell managed to glorify themselves though and in pretty much all circles but those of the professional historians specialized in it the myth still continues. One of the biggest resistance newspapers was actually run by Germans too. 'Fun' fact: Dutch administration was so complete and cooperative that we have like one of the highest percentages in caught and murdered Jews by the Germans. I don't know about other countries but we even had Jewish organisations cooperating till their end.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

zoux posted:

What was a commander's role during the actual battle in the pre-modern era? Did they participate in the actual battle or did they stay way behind the lines? How did they direct maneuvers, or were lower level commanders mostly autonomous? Guys like Richard III and Harold II died during the battle, so I assume some commanders at least got involved in the actual fighting, but it seems to me like if you are fighting for your life, you can't really issue commands. So was it more a situation where you just pointed your armies at each other, told your subordinates what to do, and then just let it play out?

While the romantic picture likes to paint them in front of the lines leading the men in reality most commanders stayed behind and barely had any control. If they were especially competent they might find a hill to sit on and order reserves around. Even the famous cavalry charges that cost quite a few lives did not happen nearly as often as depictions would make you think. Commanders definitely were near battles though, since them being there played a huge part in actually keeping armies loyal and creating propaganda opportunities.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

Also things like training, planning, discipline, and logistics were probably extremely important things that commanders had plenty of control over. Sort of like the role of coaches in large field sports. Though obviously I'm speaking in the most generic sense here and not in any specific historical context.

Oh yeah obviously, I imagine everyone knows of Frederick the Soldier King who was personally involved in the training of his men here. Though as always with war, you can plan a lot but inevitably those plans become impossible to follow. These are the sort of places a personal touch of a commander can make a lot of difference though. You just have to look at the lovely way Lord Cardigan handled logistics (and other crucial things like communicating and running the right direction) to see the effect a commander can have.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So 20+ years after the opening of the Soviet archives are there still lots of things still to be uncovered, translated, regarding WWII or do we have as good a grasp on things as we're gonna get?

A professor of mine will soon be releasing a book covering most of the files found in Romania and she's still discovering loads of 'new' stuff. One of the most surprising things she said she discovered was how important Albania was and how much more powerful member states were then mostly is thought.

This is the book and if everything goes alright I'll be helping with the final pass in a few months so if anything interesting military wise comes out I'll keep y'all updated:
http://www.amazon.ca/Warsaw-Pact-Reconsidered-Laurien-Crump/dp/0415690714

After reading your post better I realise you were mostly interested in the WW2 stuff though I'm sure someone might find this interesting.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I have Franco's International Brigades: Adventurers, Fascists, and Christian Crusaders in the Spanish Civil War and Homage to Catalonia laying around unread. The fact that I bought them though means they must have been good since I pretty much only get heavily recommended books. The Basque History of the World: The Story of a Nation also has some small parts about the Basque role in the civil war. I also have Russia in Revolution 1900-1930 by Harrison E. Salisbury laying around unread and it was a gift so I can't vouch to its quality but it does have loads of gorgeous pictures.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

And then, if we can believe Keegan, most of your best bowmen die in the Battle of Lepanto!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I might be wrong, but didn't those guys fight for practically free, instead of being hired to fight? Can't really call them mercenaries then.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the JJ posted:

I know the Greeks had a similar set up. I think Xenophon goes into detail on how the Ten Thousand rounded out, and his Cyropaedia (basically his response to Plato's Republic, what he thinks an ideal society ought to look like, which is, Xenophon being Xenophon, a virtuous and valorous monarchy supported by loyal aristocrats) has a big chunk on command. Basically his hypothetical great king gives rewards to the generals with the best section, they reward the tier below them, etc. etc. until... I think it's platoons of 8 or 10 or something.

The Achaemenid Empire also did the whole training and NCO thing. In the end it didn't save them though since their army was build for a totally different opponent then the Greeks (and Macedonians) proved to be.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I was under the impression that the roman idea of having soldiering as a profession was instituted by them. If you look at ancient greece AFAIK the major reason warfare was seasonal was that the hoplites had to go home and deal with farming. Sparta had an advantage here because they had a dedicated warrior class who didn't have to work because their economy functioned on their helots.

I thought rome were the first to make soldiering a career and have a formal, government-controlled organisation for it. Guess I'm wrong.

I'm taking the Achaemenid Empire as an example again but they had at the very least a corps of 10.000 Immortal soldiers who served as full time soldiers/royal guards.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

All this maths talk is extremely triggering for me. I picked this discipline exactly to get away from this poo poo!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mycroft Holmes posted:

So, I was re-reading my copies of Harry Turtledoves Worldwar series and I had a question. How would Gulf War era technology (minus stealth) fare aginst WWII circa 1942? In the book the humans can't keep up with the alien forces in technology, but they manage to eke out a white peace, trading most of the world for their independance. The wiki article has more information. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwar

The historical simulation series 'Sid Meier's Civilization' allows you to test this and more.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I take a class on Criminal History with some students from an acting academy, and honestly they've been some of the better and more proactive classmates I've had. Meanwhile every single engineer or whatever who took one of the 'horizon broadening' classes we get a pick from were awful. Also for job opportunities, besides the standard military stuff, Intelligence organisations are also not shy about hiring us.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Trip report: Osprey's Pike and Shot Tactics 1590-1660: OKish I guess but ultimately disappointing. Unless you care about the English Civil War? Which...I don't. Why do I keep reading Osprey books and defending the idea of them in this thread? Because I have a short attention span and am fascinated by bright colors and shiny objects.

I bought Spanier auf dem Albuch instead, as per the recommendation in the thread I linked, and if it gets to my current location before I leave this Sunday I'll let you guys know how it is in the next few weeks.

This, but unironically.

Pff, Osprey books are perfect (for stealing the artwork and putting it in your own work).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

When I was in Estonia they had nice little signs in their museum ensuring the visitors that they were in fact part of Scandinavia, complete with lengthy justification. The desperation was slightly amusing but I mostly just felt bad for them.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

France definitely had people being anti-war and a lot of people weren't happy about the need to 'protect' their colony while the home-front was still in ruins. It might have been one of the reasons they retreated and let the USA take over. Koreans also had a lot of problems on their home-front with people protesting but a lot of those got written off as communist agitators and punished accordingly. Korea being a dictatorship at both ends those days meant that a lot of protesters got put down rather brutally.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Koramei posted:

Was there actually major opposition to the occupation of Japan? I mean it obviously didn't all go perfectly, but I've heard it described as "the only successful foreign occupation in history". All things considered they got off extremely lightly.

Depends on what you consider major. There definitely was a bunch of local resistance, mostly centered around sexual harassment towards Japanese women. It definitely evolved into something more of a friendly relation though, with no small thanks to generous propaganda from both sides.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

How did you guys like Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter? I've been meaning to watch it and I suppose a bunch of war nerds would be the best judge on a German series about WW2

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Don Gato posted:

So I'm reading through The Truthful History of the Conquest of the New Spain and while it is fascinating, does anyone else have good books about the conquest of the New World? Bernal Diaz del Castillo isn't exactly the most reliable source, and my edition has literal wood and leather covers so it weighs a goddamn ton.

The parts Victor Davis Hanson wrote about Cortez in Carnage and Culture: Landmark Battles in the Rise of Western Power are pretty good. Just be warned that it is only a fifth or so of his book and that everything he writes that is related to anything at all modern is utter bullshit. If you can lend it in a library though it's a good read.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

There's a really funny part in the book where he compares Alexander to Hitler. Not just for the fact they both were responsible for poo poo tons of deaths, but because 'they both were brilliant generals'. But yeah that's why I said its a lender, we've been using his work to compare outdated/dumb ideas with better historical work. I can't fault his storytelling skills though, the parts written on the actual battles are a fun read, just skip over any time he starts analysing. To his credit, despite being a real life racist, he almost desperately avoids racism in the book.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are there any good single volume narrative accounts of the Vietnam War? Ideally covering all the way from the French-IndoChina War to the Fall of Saigon? Think A World Undone - Vietnam Edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Longest-War-Vietnam-1950-1975/dp/0072536187 For the big arc. The parts on the French involvement are not that in depth though.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vietnam-Definitive-Oral-History-Sides/dp/0091910129 For further reading fun. One of my favourite historical works ever.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

*cough* Vietnam (and to a lesser extent the Korean War) *cough*

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The French thought it was impossible for the Vietnamese to haul artillery up there as there were no roads. What they did not count on was the Vietnamese dismantling the artillery and bring them piece by piece on foot for however far it was (quite a distance, forgot the exact length).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

How often does that happen where soldiers just stop fighting and party for a while? I know about the Christmas truce, and I know that it happened some during the Spanish Civil War, but is there anything else?

I don't know how much this actually happened, but every Korean film I've seen dealing with the Korean War seems to portray this so I'm assuming there is some historical basis behind it. It makes sense too considering a lot of people there hadn't been divided between the countries for that long.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Why is Gustavus Adolphus terrible? Wasn't everyone pretty bad back then?

Fucker ripped of Maurice Of Nassau and Willem and got all the credit :colbert:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Registered and active. :) The ammo came with it, and that pic is missing the other mag he has.

He owns lots of cool stuff including, among other things, one of the few transferable Beretta 93R's and the only Factory Colt 1911 SMG, that was being worked on for consideration as a cheap easy to convert SMG for the field.

This must be one of the ugliest things I've seen, give it a scope and it could be a Call of Duty weapon.

@Waroduce
Plan where you go in Normandy well, when I drove through I managed to go to a part of the beach where almost nothing was left. Also in Amsterdam, don't bother with any of the Weed/Sex/Stereotype museums as all of them are poo poo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I doubt it was a thing that would have actually happened but keeping France, which was a bit belligerent, in the NATO was one of the primary objectives of invading Vietnam. If they had just wanted a pro-western government there Ho Chi Minh would have 0 problems with accommodating that, as long as he could have had self-government.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

a travelling HEGEL posted:

So I'm reading a book on military superstitions that was published in 1915. It's German but it's written in Roman type instead of Fraktur, and sure enough the copyright information is in English. The author probably intended this for an international audience, but how do you buy books from someone you're at war with?

Sell it through the Netherlands. Despite bans and whatever smuggling was done pretty openly.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Arabian (which is a somewhat inaccurate term for them really) forces never saw Tours as a big thing or anything, it mostly was light cavalry specialized in raiding. The French mostly was heavy infantry, presumably in formation. The Frankish cavalry was mostly hyping something that didn't happen that much because it fit the chivalric values of the time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Fangz posted:

You misread what he said. He meant that the promotion of Frankish cavalry as being decisive at Tours was an anachronism beloved by scholars during later chivalric times.

Yeah, that's what I was saying.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I don't know who posted it but the ebook was 'The war in Paraguay' by George Thompson.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

There was a version with some sort of scandinavian subtitles on youtube like a month ago.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

How is Ronald Asch's 'The Thirty Years War: The Holy Roman Empire and Europa 1618-48'. Please tell me it's good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Are there any good sources on the daily life of 17th (maybe 18th too) Century soldiers besides Hagendorf's diary (and work using that as a source)?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Thank you both for the reccomandations, those should keep me busy for a while. If I got any questions after reading I'll be sure to ask.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Fangz posted:

How did you hire mercenaries back then? Did they advertise?

You hire the guys who fought for the guy you just beat. The Hagendorf guy I mentioned switched sides whenever he lost a battle. Also the foragers for the army often hired men they ran into.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Azran posted:

The whole Hitler myth is up there with a LOT of poo poo that I just can't believe gets taught nowadays here. Pyramids being built by Hebrew slaves, people in Antiquity only living up to their 30s as a worldwide average, Catholicism being the only religion in the Known World by the time the Vatican gets established, Roman polytheistic faith being stolen from the greeks and declared as their own, the Fulda Gap, etc.

Hardly on topic, but I thought the Roman polytheistic faith thing was pretty much true? Or at least, it was pretty drat heavily inspired by greek myths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I have this in my bookmarks but I haven't read it yet.
http://www.amazon.com/Rising-Sun-Decline-Japanese-1936-1945/dp/0812968581

• Locked thread