Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Except for the British.

Got to bad at something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Generals weren't enough for them?

To be fair Mediocrity covers that in my general opinion. The bloody war before that sort of killed a majority of promising people as well as crippled the budget.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That is true, the stolen tank thing at any rate.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

For the Eastern Front of World War 2, I would suggest Soviet Storm.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

cheerfullydrab posted:

He was more of a strategic genius than a tactical genius.

He was pretty awesome, having an army of pretty good generals and the most experienced soldiers (up until 1812) helped a lot for him too.

The Napoleonic Wars are pretty rad, my favourite military era in the scheme of things. Crazy violent parade battlefields a huge diverse list of players on both sides (My favourite: The Russian General called Barclay De Tolly! that name goddamn!) and of course the insane numbers used in the fighting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It is interesting how is Nephew more or less tried to follow in his foot steps with both diplomacy and war too (It didn't work out as good though, he needed somebody like this guy).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also gently caress yeah, Alan Turing finally got his pardon. A bit late for his family though :smith:.

DasReich posted:

The way I understand it, Britain's foreign policy has always revolved around playing the Continental powers off against each other. Napoleonic France was the strongest power on the continent, so England throws in against.

As long as the British were around, the Napoleonic French were never going to see a true peace.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 24, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

bewbies posted:

I just spent an hour reading those Christmas truce letters. I am almost in tears and I am usually not someone who gives two shits about the holidays.

I knocked this up quickly reguarding the truce.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Azipod posted:

So what was more heinous, an early modern german landsknecht's fashion sense or his propensity for rapine, murder and looting?

I think the latter would make a pretty terrible parade.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

handbanana125 posted:

While not quite related to the discussion at hand, I hit up the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Arms and Armor exhibit last week and took a fewof pictures, mostly focusing on 15th century English swords and armor, but I did get a few pictures of the Ottoman muskets. Would anyone like me to post these up as an imgur gallery?

As a man who simply loves the ornamental design of wooden firearms especially from the 17th to the 19th century I would like to state this: HELL YES PLEASE.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

InspectorBloor posted:

Speaking of guns, since you're the napoleonic expert here: I've seen a bunch of french cannons here at the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, is there any special reason why these cannons have only "Liberté" and "Egalité" engraved in them, but not "Fraternité"?

I'm no expert, there are goons much better with this era in the thread. I think though those cannons might have been cast after the heady days of the Revolution when they stopped killing each other over the cut of their trousers during the days of Robespierres government or the Directory before Napoleon came to power?

I might be wrong. I'm sure the real answer is more interesting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

For London, I strongly suggest the Imperial War Museum.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Entire Universe posted:

Who were the sea people, anyway? Are there any books that try to get to the bottom of that hilarious mystery?

A bunch of Mediterranean civilizations suddenly start griping in the historical record about getting their coasts hosed up by a bunch of assholes who seemingly sail up out of nowhere and start pounding rear end.

I'm guessing they sound like pirates or some sort of proto viking tribe?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Didn't part of these sea peoples waves correspond with migration patterns in Ancient Greece?

This sounds like the most sane theory.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

Poetry won't probably be as good though.

TWENTY MISERY, GO TO TEN ABOUT SUFFERING OF WAR AND LOSS OF FELLOW AUTOMATONS.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Given the Franco-Prussian war, that REALLY makes you wonder WTF the French were thinking in WWI.

The best guy the French had for that war was Bazaine, and his claim to fame was tooling around in North Africa and helping prop up Emperor Maximilian. So yeah.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Someone linked to this in D&D, Russian amateur battlefield excavators:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25589709

Left and center are quite interesting: according to the article, the capped ebony cylinders (left) were ID tags. They had a piece of paper inside (center) that you were supposed to fill out with your information, but many didn't because of the belief that to fill them out would mark you for certain death.

This article is sad but incredibly touching to read. gently caress those awful people looting the remains though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

a travelling HEGEL posted:

The people in the article aren't the "black excavators" though, they're cool.

Yeah I know that, though out of context insulting the black excavators would sound pretty bad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I just think grave robbing dead soldiers especially in the modern day for eBay is a pretty lovely thing to do.

And congratulations on the documentary stuff HEGEL!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Basically, peacefully occupying things is something Imperial Germany was not at all good at. Like my talents with music only with more horrifying bloodshed!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think the French would have rather sold it to the Spanish if given the choice, but this is alt history now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I would agree with the assessment that the British army was at its best during the last stages of 1918 - the British broke the German back and went from victory to victory, decisively and flawlessly reaping the rewards of prolonged war of attrition in a series of battles that were giant in scale but usually forgotten due to how one sided they were. Ultimately the British were responsible or about 50% of German casualties caused over the course of the final offensive.

Compared to that - with all respect to the British - England played second fiddle to other powers in both the Napoleonic and Second World War.

It was a second fiddle in the Napoleonic Wars for sure compared to the Russians and Austrians, but it is still drat interesting reading about the fighting in Spain and Italy :).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

EDIT:

Beaten by a Ottoman history master :).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Very true, not everyone could be a merry model of a major general.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I just stumbled across this in a war gaming forum.

I think we need to know all about it. I demand somebody tells me more about this thing!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'd imagine they wouldn't load the thing until the very last minute when they want to quickly move the soldiers out in theory.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mans posted:

Wouldn't the horses start fleeing like hell if they heard a shot right in their ears? All the horses i've met seem to panic whenever a slight breeze passes near them.

Are those horses trained for war and raised in a general noisy military environment?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Interesting, I never knew that!

Also it's occurred to me that specops horses will never happen because of PETA.

But think of the market for Horse Kevlar body armour plates!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gove is a moron who I wish would stop obsessing over funny alt history comedies and actually do some fort of vaguely positive work in my countries government.

Oh wait never mind. He can just go away. That'd be cool too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Baldrick, The true unsung hero and soldier of the trenches. His soul stirring war poetry will be remembered for generations.

It is actually pretty heart breaking, as the cast and crew when filming that series of Blackadder understood the sad gravitas of the whole thing and it is all pretty respectable and tastefully done.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

If you've seen the original cut version of the final scene you know exactly how seriously they were taking it. God-damned heartbreaking.

Is it in the making of in the DVD box set? I've seen it. I can understand why Tony Robinson is biting back at Gove bless him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dreylad posted:

The War of the World is so loving dumb it's one of the only history books I've had to throw out because I couldn't give it away.

I heard it makes decent paper for the toilet.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Frostwerks posted:

What do you mean by flying tanks in this context? Surely not one of these? Seems like it'd be easy pickings for any fighter worth its salt.

I think he is talking about the IL-2 series of ground attack fighters.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Meanwhile, the Prussians and Austrians had their own thing going on with the German and Italian states.

Oh, The 2nd French Empire tried to install a puppet Emperor and government in Mexico too.

Oh, and South American was pretty much embroiled in the War Of The Triple Alliance.

EDIT 3: And there was the Boshin War in Japan, which was like a much more milder more polite national civil war sort of crisis.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 3, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Please don't purse-shame.

Technically everyone had purses back then....

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nenonen posted:

What were European predictions on the results of Grande Armée marching to Russia? For that matter, do we have any full of hubris quotes from Napoleon like the infamous "kick the door in and the house falls down"?

An interesting question actually, since that army marching into Russia was one of the biggest multi-national forces ever put under one flag.

I expect the nations that tangled and were openly defeated by Napoleon had some opinions whllst the Russians had their own.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I feel sorry for the poor salvage crews that had to check to see if a badly damaged tank could be salvaged to some degree, especially if all the crew met a horrible end.

The stuff they must have seen ugh. And that was nothing compared to the horrors of the 2nd World War.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Jesus Christ :smith:.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To be fair, a mini series or movie about British Bomber crews in WW2 would be incredibly depressing as I could see half the casted characters being killed off midway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I can't remember his exact name, but there was a Paratrooper Officer during the battle of Arnhem strutting around with an Umbrella and bowler hat.

Just the thought of this man crab walking around cover and in the basements of some of the buildings during the height of the fighting with those items is just crazy.

• Locked thread