Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

lenoon posted:

Would a group of semi-pro military historians be allowed on? What if it's empire total war???? Are we allowed to delay battle until we research ring bayonets??????

Part of me hopes they get Brian Blessed somehow involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Their random British army guys might be more qualified to give advice on that, depending on era.

Squaddies. Squaddies never change.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

goodness posted:

New to the thread and military history, reading through the beginning I see some posters do regular updates about wars or time periods. Are there any exceptional ones that are recommended to read?

It's all good, though we all get sidetracked posting on the fly or talking about whatever has the threads dander up. If your really into 17th century stuff, HEY GAL can post for hours.

Also, I found this idle flicking through a book on the Crimean War during my break at my job and I just have to share. Sorry for the crude phone post quality:

A Punch cartoon poking at the British Army trials and meetings over uniform reform of the British Army prior to the Crimean War. I oddly think it looks pretty cool. But then again I am a sucker for helmets influenced on ancient greeks/romans!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

And wide, child bearing hips apparently.

I think those are suppose to be the baggy North African style breeches that Zouaves used.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

agreed

except that imo it's the best thread on the internet full stop

Honestly never seen history stuff, especially milhist stuff talked about so casually but also so well mannered and with that wonderful touch of the academic done as good as this thread.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Battle of France (Oh WW2 Online :smith:), Burma Campaign or the invasion of Malaysia and last stand fights around Singapore would be nice and new compared to the stuff that put people off that era. The Commando Raids of the early war would make a fantastic tutorial setting even!

Also, non WW2 I'd love some good fps/rpgs set in some of the 18th and 19th century conflicts. Or a Crimean War game based on Darkest Dungeon style mechanics where you have to fight off dying of disase, hunger or from your wounds.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wasn't that during the time he who must not be named kept dropping his truth bombs?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

bewbies posted:

It is probably too politically sensitive but I've always thought a survival management game set somewhere like a Japanese POW work camp (ala Narrow Road to the Deep North) would be neat.

That'd be one of the most dark and depressing games if they pulled it off. The good ending is somehow getting out alive with your buddy with enough mental will to supress what you saw so you can live a vaguely normal life!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lets be honest, we all want a WW2 game that is basically like the World At War documentary that covers pretty much a few hours of gameplay for a soldier from the start in China to the bitter end in China with a Brothers In Arms level of detail with what the soldiers went through.

That would be awesome and I'd pre-order/kickstart/buy that if would ever happen. I imagine it'd take a decade to pull off too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

Which skipped over everything between Stalingrad and the beginning of the battle for Berlin. Playing as a Soviet Paratrooper during the Vyazma operation could have been interesting. Or the capture of Budapest and the subsequent counter-offensive.

Anyone else feel the tone for that game is just well, really off especially compared to the past ones?

WAR IS loving BAD DUDE KILL THE GERMANS WITH FIRE loving ZOMBIESSSSSS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

They were making a more cartoonish game with the same name, but it seems to have disappeared.

A shame really, they could have just renamed that game. It'd be something different. I guess the fan backlash from the silly idea to give it the name of the serious real life games really scared them.

I'd still play that game. The DLC developers of the Payday 2 game are making something sort like that.

• Locked thread