Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Concerning the D-day landing, I've recently listened to the latest Hardcore History episode about WWI.
In it Dan Carlin talked about the Gallipoli landing disaster and how the people who fought there would later then be in position to prepare the D-day landing.
Could the memory of Gallipoli and the sharp contrast between that clusterfuck and the relately smooth D-day landing also have been a factor in the perception of D-day as unprecedented success?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
So as I understand it, Japan could have drawn out the war in the Pacific by winning some of the battles they didn't but ultimately still would have lost.
My question is, if Japan had succeeded in doing this, would the Soviet entry in the war have a greater impact, maybe even have reached Japan before the US did?
Historically they pretty much rolled over Manchuria but I'm not sure how their naval capabilities looked like at the time.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Effectronica posted:

The only way for Japan to win a war against the USA was to convince America that a prolonged fight wasn't worth it- it would be easier to negotiate, cut a deal, agree to neutralize the Philippines and help resolve the Sino-Japanese War as a neutral arbitrator in exchange for the Japanese retreating from their colonial conquests, etc. than to fight. The high command had the well-known decisive battle approach, Yamamoto believed that he could achieve this via doing enough damage to the Pacific Fleet, etc. but nobody on the Japanese side was under any illusions about what a prolonged war meant (and a substantial number of civilians figured that they were doomed as soon as they got over the rush from finally fighting a colonial power instead of murdering fellow Asians). So from this perspective, all it would do, at best, is delay the amount of time before a few dozen carriers and battleships steamrollered the Combined Fleet.

Of course, it's entirely likely that this was impossible in the first place given the shifts in American attitudes since 1905, and the failures of the Japanese government during 1940 and 1941 diplomatically made it even less likely that the US would believe the Japanese leadership was arguing in good faith, before we consider the complete failure of Pearl Harbor.

In that case, wouldn't a surprise attack like Pearl Harbor or a terrorist attack like that Panama Canal plan Nenonen proposed really be the worst possible thing to do?
I.e. if you want to wage a 'traditional' war, which is what the decisive battle followed by treaty negotiations really is, shouldn't you try to adhere to the customs like the timely declaration of war as much as possible?
Do we know if anyone e.g. Yamamoto considered this angle?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

feedmegin posted:

That doesn't mean the US military is right. ;) They're as sensitive to hype as any other organisation.

In any case, the only way you can deploy it on a 'massive scale' is by having a massive team of spies in your target country with physical access to masses of sensitive sites that in wartime will be guarded. I don't doubt it would happen to some extent, but it's not like sabotage hasn't always been a thing in wartime. It might be a bit easier to do now but not I suspect in a game-changing kind of way.

Sure, hardened targets would probably be something only a dedicated team could get into but wouldn't the greater danger be to civilian infrastructure?
A combined attack like Stuxnet could do enormous amounts of damage, especially due to the greater interconnectedness typical these days.
E.g. mucking with Wallstreet or Comcast or whatever could be a perfect terror attack and thus also tie up government resources.
I'm sure there's plenty of low hanging fruit that don't require access to sensitive places.

• Locked thread