Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's really spooky is how similar some of this sounds to some talk I've heard from people about Vietnam or Iraq. I guess there's a little of the more things change the more they stay the same.

I think there's always a baseline of atrocites in wars, but the concentration and death camps really put Nazi Germany above and beyond. It's one thing to exert military force, send in men with guns or toss bombs to kill whoever stands in the way, but it's another thing to take people who are surrendered or civilians and decide to take them out of the picture with a bureaucratic system of inducing suffering. They really tried to be efficient and orderly about the horrible things they were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isn't not fearing death a major liability? The same way that people who can't feel pain end up with a load of accidental lacerations, if you've got people who aren't afraid of death, they'll go off and get killed in some stupid way.

Didn't Japan's practice of kamikaze attacks end up wasting the lives of valuable skilled pilots who they couldn't really afford to replace? Not to mention the planes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't Reagan's wacky death star program break the treaty? Even if it didn't come up with anything useful.

I've heard that one of the ideas behind the space shuttle was that it could do things like stealing enemy satellites out of space.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The mongols had a thing about not shedding the blood of a holy man, but that mostly amounted to an excuse to find horrible methods of execution to get around the rule.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isn't the US's population vastly more widely distributed than Russia's? Like even if you got through from the east coast to Chicago, you'd still have the west coast cranking out stuff, and if you tried to take the west coast first, you'd have even more of a nightmare trying to get a handle of the endless tracts of nothing in the midwest before you confront the east coast population centers.

Theoretically, the way that the US has moved out of manufacturing would screw us in the event of another massive-scale world war, but I think the general consensus of most people is that we could probably put the world into a quick apocalypse if we really needed to, so none of that would become relevant.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought they counterbalanced all the drinking by also making a lot of weak booze.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For the most part, the KKK is a cross between a social club and a scam. It may be racist, and its members may perpetrate violence, but it's not organized about it. The modern day Klan doesn't even have any centralized leadership.

Also the whole deal where it maintains a goofy level of secrecy sort of gets in the way of things so that they can't really go too far beyond a bunch of violent disorganized idiots. When they want to do more, they end up forming different groups so they can work more directly.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They should at least have Rome 2 instead of just Total War: Rome, or they could get other games to do other periods. This is 2016! There are options!

Of course, I imagine most contestants will fail just because RTSes are hard.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm surprised that nobody has looked at things from James Buchanan's perspective and questioned the legality of sending in the army to stop them even if secession was an illegal act. There are supposedly limits to how a nation can exert its military, after all. That's how the roman senate were going to get Caesar.

I don't think the South ever properly dominated the country politically, the most it did was force the entire slavery debate into its stupidest form. Very few presidents ever came out as gung-ho pro-slavery, and in the run up to the civil war, the people who were elected kept taking the weakest waffling positions on the whole issue, since there was no true compromise possible. Nobody ever thought that slavery could be spread to the north, which is why the south knew that it needed to gimmick its way towards having more slave states to maintain the amount of influence to keep forcing the issue to stalemate. Then the south tended to get their way in courts because property rights were consistent throughout the union while human rights were not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd like a videogame of the Pig War of 1859.

• Locked thread