Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haakman
May 5, 2011

VanSandman posted:

You poor bastard you posted too well! Now look at you.

I would like a big thick book recommendation about Stalingrad that tells me what it was like for the fellows actually fighting it.

In short - horrible. Close street fighting, starvation, cold, brutality. Battles were fought over single houses, sometimes rooms. The Germans called it Rattenkrieg for a reason. The philosophy of the Eastern Front was exemplified at Stalingrad. If you look at pictures of the battle, specifically of the city itself, you can see that the actual physical city was annihilated. The battle was fought over the fractured corpse of a city.

Book-wise I would suggest definitely starting with Beevor. EDIT - removed LLOS. The Stalingrad Protocols by Jochen Hellbeck is written in German, but it has interviews with Red Army soldiers present at Stalingrad.

A quick google search for first hand accounts also brings up several - including diary entries, which, due to censorship of letters, are often more candid about life in the kessel. For example http://cbweaver.wikispaces.com/file/view/Stalingrad+Primary+Accounts.pdf

I have to say, my area of expertise is not Stalingrad - I wrote my undergraduate dissertation on the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan - so take my recommendations with a grain of salt and I am sure someone will have an even better bibliography!

haakman fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haakman
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

My own questions:
1. Is there any truth to the idea that the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan was just part one of a longer-term plan to eventually invade Iran (or was it Pakistan) and therefore gain a port on the Persian Gulf/Arabian Sea, or was that just a Clancy-fueled fever dream?

Fever dream I'm afraid. The situation prior to invasion was incredibly complex - the ruling group, the Khalqi branch of the PDPA, were Marxist-Leninist in ideology and tried to introduce some pretty drastic reforms (establishing legal ages for marriages, and ordered all marriages to be entered into voluntarily. Considered the education of both men and women a top priority) which, given the nature of the Afghan tribes, did not go down too well, not even mentioning the brutal ways in which the reforms were implemented. The country was in full on rebellion by the time the Soviets stepped in.

As to reasons why - there are loads. Natural resources, preservation of the Brezhnev Doctrine, geopolitics, fear of radical Islam, Andropov generally being a poo poo.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Godholio posted:

I lived in England for a few years growing up. The historical things that I still remember are the HMS Belfast (museum ship docked in London), the Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, and Framlingham Castle near Ipswich. Also in that area is Sutton Hoo.

A bit late, but I live in Framlingham And worked at the castle during my teenage years, if anyone has any questions.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Hastings writes for the Daily Mail and his personal views on WW1 are highly political - Michael Gove lite.

His work on the Falklands was good.

• Locked thread