Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm trying to remember the name of a particular tactic done by the Tokugawa army that was later done by the British army. It's where musketeers fire and then move back behind a line while they reload. This is done over and over so that you can have continuous musket fire.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Also, did the British actually do anything innovative, or did they just steal everything from the Dutch? (They did corporations, crop rotation, military tactics, and the British got rich off it.)

SHISHKABOB posted:

Why do we fight wars?

Because some video games are intrinsically better than others.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

There is a Japanese history thread if you guys want to talk about things that have to do with samurais and ninjas and stuff!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605918

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

So, today in my Revolutionary War class, we learned that the Colonial Militia surprised the British at Concord by preforming a complicated maneuver called the Ring of Fire. How could they have learned this? The militia was poorly trained, so how did they pull this off?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hi, I like tanks, especially the tanks of WWII, is there a nice overview book about tank use in WWII? I'm looking for a book with specs, production details, use in battle, etc.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is focused on German tanks specifically and might not have a lot on statistics and raw numbers, but Dennis Showalter's Hitler's Panzers has a good overview on tank development, doctrinal development and the evolution and use of Panzers as WWII went on.

I still remember a passage from the book about how the vast number of different German tank models was great for model hobbyists decades later, but wasn't so great for the actual soldiers fighting the war.

Thanks for the reply. I will look into it, but I was wondering if there was another book that focuses on other tanks, especially the Soviet ones?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Do you have any examples of ancient countries and huge armies?

Depends on what you count as ancient, but the Aztec fighting force was several hundred thousand. You'd never know it though, because they'd fight multi-front wars of attrition that spread their armies thin.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 7, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the JJ posted:

To be fair, a fair chunk of that is warriors provided by conquered altepetls as well as the actual Triple Alliance.

The same could be said of the Persians since most of the Persian sailors at Salamis were Ionian Greeks.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the JJ posted:

Sure, but there's some ambiguity in the term 'Aztec fighting force.' Is it the fighting force that is controlled by the Aztec empire or the 'ethnically' Aztec soldiers?

(Hint, none, because Aztec is a pretty useless term.)

If I was going to specify the "ethnically Aztec" warriors, I would say Mexica. I know that Aztec isn't the name of the actual place, but that's what laymen know and I'm trying to be gracious.

Speaking of, do you consider troops called up from the various S.S.R.'s as being strictly Tatar, Siberian or Manchurian or do you consider them Soviet?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cyrano4747 posted:

I get where you're going with your analogy, but comparing the WP and the Aztecs like that really doesn't work because the WP/NATO were a coalition of alliances between (theoretical) equals, not empires dominated by a single major nation. A better analogy would be if in a theoretical NATO/WP throw down the USSR started splintering and you had, say, the Ukraine flipping sides. A Pole serving in a Polish Army unit that is part of some WP formation is going to have a lot less identity-based introspection to do than an ethnic Ukranian serving in a soviet rifle regiment.

I wasn't meaning to say the Warsaw Pact nations, I meant the various SSR's under the USSR, like the Azerbaijan SSR, Ukrainian SSR and Georgian SSR.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

OctaviusBeaver posted:

So what exactly did the Soviet government want encircled soldiers to do? If they surrendered they were traitors but if they broke out they were also probably traitors?

I'm really glad I wasn't born in Russia in the 1920s.

Not get encircled or die.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I know about this because my friend took a classical drama class and they had to read this edition of the Bacchae.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bewbies posted:

I need a new book. Recommendations? Any period, any topic.

History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides or Commentary on the Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

A joke my WWII professor told:

What's the difference between German and French paratroopers? The Germans are hunters, the French are the hunted.

• Locked thread