Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Extra History have finished up their series on the outbreak of the First World War.

It's sad to think there were so many missed opportunities to stop the war. I can't wait to see what Extra History look at next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Magni posted:

Six words you didn't want to hear in WWI. Well, at least if you were part of the Entente. :v:

Well there was one point where it was good to hear, but that's still a while off. (Good old landships).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cheerfullydrab posted:

Are people selling Nambu pistols?

Aren't they the ones more hazardous to the wielder than the enemy?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So if Beevor is a hack, what are some good recent books that look at the Eastern Front in WWII, or that refute his allegations directly?

Actually what are good books on the Eastern Front in general.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Riso posted:

The claim Germany wanted to dominate the world is a result of propaganda. Germany wanted control over Europe, not the world. They were not that crazy.
I think that was hyperbole. I didn't realise that invasion & occupation of an entire continent is apparently A-OK, though.

quote:

Claims that the US entered the war to stop genocide was added afterwards to shape the post-war narrative. Said genocide after all, was not known and did not even start in a systematic way until after the US entry.
Well technically they entered the war because Japan bombed Pearl Harbour, they declared war in retaliation, and then Hitler declared war on the US. Also, although the genocide wasn't proven till later, the whole 'military occupation of a continent' was public knowledge. So two militarily expansionist powers declared war on America-I think that's enough justification for FDR to break out the big stick.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well I've finally caught up with the thread (and WWI day-by-day)!

I'm a big fan that you're shining a light on obscure bits of a conflict that most people assume was just the Western Front (and maybe the Russian Revolution), Trin Tragula.

Can anyone recommend some good books on Canadian forces in WWII? No particular reason, I'm just curious about lesser-known WWII stuff (for reference, I once bought a book on Australian Tank Development, so I'm up for other similarly obscure bits and pieces.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think Who Goes Nazi? is a relevant article for fascismchat.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Quick question: what do people think of Mark Zuehlke's Canadian Battle Series? I'm curious about Canadians in WWII, and some cursory googling suggests that this is the most readily available books on it. Are there better books available I should look for?

Also, a quick public service announcement: you can get Teddy Roosevelt's The Naval War of 1812 off Gutenberg.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I really enjoyed his Juno Beach book. I haven't had the chance to read his other stuff, but judging by the quality of what I read, I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of the series was top notch as well.

As for other books on Canadians, I thoroughly enjoyed "Aces, Warriors, and Wingmen" which focuses on the RCAF and is probably 50 to 75 percent interviews with ex-RCAF members who participated in World War 2. The book covers every theater of war that the Royal Canadian Air Force was in, as well as the different aspects of the air force (IE: Mechanics and non-Aces are also interviewed and give interesting accounts).

Amazon.ca listing

The book's website

Thanks for the recommendations! Although I'm not actually from Canada. :ssh: Gonna buy those books anyway!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Didn't Grant say is his memoirs that Buchanan was surrounded by Southerners who were rather blatantly trying to stack the deck for secession by positioning a whole bunch of federal armories down south so the Confederacy could grab them easily when (not if) they seceded?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Including his Vice President, who was a Real Shithead.

So glad goons went for Fremont in the SA Decides thread.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

GreyjoyBastard posted:

We are about to abolish the Presidency and institute full Marxist-Wingism. :ussr:

I know.

But I anted to vote for Teddy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I've got a question on WWII.

I just recently watched this retrospective on Call of Duty, which then made remember this video. We really haven't seen many big name WWII games recently, have we? Even Battlefield's gone back to WWI (although automatic weapons and tanks that move faster than walking are the order of the day, because historical accuracy is nothing compared to maintaining core mechanics, can't risk the players getting out of their comfort zone).

So I'm curious, what obscure battles/theatres/units would you include in a WWII game?

Or what other wars would you want to see covered? I mean, aside from Landsknecht Shooting out of Window Sim 1642, that one's a given.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

feedmegin posted:

I'd love to see the Spanish Civil War. Almoooost World War 2 like, and you've got fighters, bombers, tanks, all that stuff, but different enough to be interesting. Plenty of options for sides too - on the one side CNT/FAI, the International Brigades, the Communist units, on the other side the Nationalist forces themselves but also Italians and Germans.
Actually, considering soldiers from both sides of the SCW wound up fighting in WWII (Republicans with the Free French, Nationalist Volunteers in the Blue Division), it might be a good starting point alongside the Chinese theatre. Were there many people in the International Brigades who went on to serve in their own countries' armies?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Lets be honest, we all want a WW2 game that is basically like the World At War documentary that covers pretty much a few hours of gameplay for a soldier from the start in China to the bitter end in China with a Brothers In Arms level of detail with what the soldiers went through.

That would be awesome and I'd pre-order/kickstart/buy that if would ever happen. I imagine it'd take a decade to pull off too.

Some sort of episodic/DLC based game with a bunch of different campaigns?

I've been doing some thinking myself. I have a few ideas for campaigns:
:canada::A First Nations soldier in the Devil's Brigade, fighting through Italy and Southern France, and then once the brigade is disbanded is sent to the Canadian Airborne Battalion for the Battle of the Bulge (I know, it's been done, but how many people know that Canadians were there?) & Operation Varsity.
:china::I personally don't know much about the details of the Chinese Theatre, but I do think it needs to be addressed.
:ussr: The Battle of Khalkin Gol is definitely something worth looking at, ditto Bagration. I'm no sure how'd you tie those two together,. Just as long as some of the more persistent myths got :commissar:ed, which I guess would include summary executions by Commissars.
:finland:: The Winter & Lapland Wars have some good battles you could do, but obviously there's the elephant in the room of the whole Continuation War.
:france: You could have some soldiers in the Battle of France (maybe tankers fighting off a larger force of crappier German tanks before the player's tank gets knocked out by an 88 and then forced to flee on foot), getting evacuated via Dunkirk or otherwise, then fighting in North Africa before coming back to France and being part of the 2nd Armoured Division liberating Paris.

Another interesting idea might be Viet Minh guerillas working with OSS operatives to throw out the Japanese, although that one might kind of end on a downer.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 30, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

lenoon posted:

A Good Post

This is great, but one part jumped out at me:

quote:

Navy

Big news here - 1924 sees the formation of the Fleet Air Arm, and it's 15 year history as part of the RAF before 1939 sees it attached to the Navy permanently. It was officially for RAF squadrons flying from aircraft carriers and other ships - HMS Hermes, the first officially designed from day one carrier, is commissioned in 1924, but again, it's inception and financing predates MacDonald's first year. It's flying the fairly cute Fairey 3, and does the fairly standard mediterranean and colonial tour, including an exciting interlude with pirates. The standard policy would have been stasis on naval issues generally, with the Washington treaty fairly freshly signed, and a general freeze on navy spending.

Would you mind sharing a little more information about this bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Plan Z posted:

Charly, I know it's late, but thanks for the answers to my arrow questions and thanks lenoon for filling in some blanks.

So, I recently re-watched Pentagon Wars and it reminded me of an effort-post I did on another forum about my favorite boondoggle, The Sheridan. I'm thinking I may touch it up into a series and post on it. Waiting back on some answers about its testing timeline, first.

Battlefield 1 discussions are fun. A bunch of gamers left their echo-chambers to start whining about black and women soldiers being in the trailers to channels like The Great War and got ripped to shreds.

One of my favorite war games is the Brothers in Arms series. The first one really stands out for me in that instead of the "fight five battles over 6 years" formula in most similar games, it's a series of engagements over 8 consecutive days as your squad gets ground down and de-moralized. The sort of side-plot about the one suicidal soldier was kind of lame, but a lot of good humanizing moments came out of the story, which is incredibly rare for a war game. It also tones down the head-popping insanity of CoD and MoH by focusing on a "suppress and flank" mechanic using fire squads so that you don't feel like you're liberating France entirely by yourself.

Oh, hey, I remember Brothers in Arms. Whatever happened to that series?

• Locked thread