Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Smoking Crow posted:

Also, did the British actually do anything innovative, or did they just steal everything from the Dutch? (They did corporations, crop rotation, military tactics, and the British got rich off it.)

Everybody stole from everybody. There are a billion times more examples of tech spreading than indigenous development of the same concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PrinceRandom posted:

War is really depressing. Does it ever get depressing reading about real people killing real people?

It happened. We might as well try to sort out the hows and whys. Do you not watch tv or anything, because it's not like this stuff has EVER stopped.

In my opinion, not in the way I think you mean. On occasion I'll run across an individual event that serves as a downer, but as far as the subject as a whole, no.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I wonder how much similarity there is between 50FA stories and primary sources. If his stuff survives ~500 years, maybe he'll be another Herodotus.

98% of the insanity he posts is completely believable for all the wrong reasons. I'd love for his writings to define the Cold War for thirtieth century historians. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ArchangeI posted:

I still want to see those :biotruths: people explain why women can't fight in wars to a veteran Russian woman sniper.

There's a significant difference between being a sniper and being a tank loader, for example. Stupid facebook arguments aside, many military jobs require physical strengths that many women (and men, for that matter) don't possess. The USMC has already allowed women to take part in one of their infantry training courses, but so far they've all failed out for physical reasons (inability to complete events or injuries). Contrast that with the USAF, where women have flown combat missions for years. It's more job-dependent than a sweeping gesture of "no girls allowed".

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

Maybe he wants the modern example?

How do you find a modern example of something that's been happening almost continuously for thousands of years? He might as well ask for the modern example of prostitution, or picking fruit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

veekie posted:

So on melee cavalry, if I'm reading it right, you got the following main roles:
-Mobility, unlike infantry you more or less get to pick and choose where you're fighting, which lets your side exploit any vulnerabilities in formation.
-Intimidation, because you have a big guy, on a big horse, and they're both moving towards their opponent at a terrifying speed, which could break less trained formations if a significant chunk of their line lose their will to fight on, especially if whoever they make first contact with are probably going to die.
-Momentum, heavily armored cavalry can use the momentum of the charge to smash their target, then rely on superior equipment on both man and horse to win through.

So basically you look for weak spots and either harass or hammer through, depending on your loadout.

Is that right or am I missing something crucial.

There's flanking or attacking from the enemy's rear, which falls under what you've listed. Also ambushes, as well as pursuit of a retreating enemy. And scouting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Was that a short-lived device or did it carry on? I've never noticed it before. :monocle:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I want to clarify I specifically didn't realize the BF-109 had it...I knew it was a thing (because of the P-39).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Davincie posted:

Yeah I can't be bothered about that sort of stuff when you can walk around in tons of museums and just see piles and piles of similar swords. Now if it were a rare weapon or model, then maybe.

A lot of stuff we consider rare wasn't so rare back in the day. What makes some of them rare is because people use them for doorstops, or fire pokers, etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The US used to sell it off. Lots of surplus M1903s, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, etc were purchased by civilians through the CMP. The US stock of Garands is gone but every once in a while a batch of foreign M1s shows up...Greek, etc. Many vehicles were also surplused off, like old Jeeps and even aircraft like P-51s. Nowadays I think most personal weapons are destroyed, and most aircraft end up in the boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB in Tuscon for several years before being recycled.

Edit: Also, certain fighters are actually retained at DM to supply drone needs. F-86s, F-106s, and F-4s were converted to QF models...pilot-optional drones. Most of these are flown from Tyndall AFB over the Gulf of Mexico to provide realistic maneuvering for live system tests, including live missile shots. Over the past couple of years, QF-16s have been showing up as F-4 availability has dwindled.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 17, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ugh. The one on the left reminds me of a now-retired USAF Lt Col's flight suit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ArchangeI posted:

Must be very ineffcient to wear so much metal when you fly a plane. At least it isn't trying to strangle you like the F-22 suit :v:

Shape rather than material. But yeah it was still trying to strangle her. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A parliament of tank destroyers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ferrosol posted:

There was the Flying Tigers in WWII who were a bunch of ex-american airforce vets who fought for the nationalist Chinese against the Japanese. Also I suppose the French Foreign Legion which fought in various battles kind of counts. Beyond that I'm drawing blanks for mercs.

Lots of Americans went to fight for the Entente before the US joined in. Aviators in particular.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Azran posted:

:neckbeard: Thanks a lot. Gotta say your posts got me into reading more about planes, and I'm just in love with the topic.

At what altitude did pilots engage at during WW1? Open canopies must have limited them in some measure?

I can't actually answer the question, but as a practical matter you don't want to be above 10k feet without supplemental oxygen. I suspect most fighter engagements were below that threshold, but this is an assumption.

Edit: Curious what the thread thinks about the hundreds (possibly thousands) of foreign citizens serving as enlisted members of the US military. They're not mercenaries

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 25, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Citing the Somethingawful forums in homework might not be a good idea.1

1. a travelling HEGEL, comment in "Ask Us About Military History: Here Be Dragoons," comment posted on November 26, 2013, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3585027&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post422399480 (accessed November 26, 2013).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 26, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm not a fan of The Art of War, personally. It's about half mysticism and bullshit. Clausewitz is not light reading, just a warning. If that's the kind of thing you're after, Jomini is worth a look. Alfred Thayer Mahan is one of the few comprehensive naval writers I'm aware of. Vegetius was a good read, albeit short.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Raenir Salazar posted:

Bwuh? I don't recall any mysticism from my version; the only part that might not be useful in the modern day is the part about the use of fire arrows but even that could be refluffed to incendiaries in general.

It kind of sounds like people have weird expectations as to what the AOW is actually supposed to teach; the general rules of thumb serve as a foundation in which to base applied military thought on top of.

Mysticism probably isn't the right word, but the gist of it is "here are a series of catchy sound bites rules, and whichever general memorizes them best will win! Unless he doesn't, in which case he obviously misread the Tao and thus was doomed from the start.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Obdicut posted:

On the above reenactor bit: I learned how to spearfish on a catwalk-- basically, where the salmon are running upstream (and sometimes the trout coming down) some tribes will build catwalks across the rivers and spear the fish as they jump up. One thing I definitely notices was that an overhand stab is a hell of a lot more accurate. I can't really figure out why, thinking about it, but there's something about the downward motion that made it easier for me, at any rate, to consistently hit the target. I notices this was true as well with bo practice. Obviously, in both those cases it's very different from using a pike or a war spear-- I was using a thin, light spear in the first instance, and a heavy but evenly-weighted bo in the second, but the difference seemed to be in hand-eye coordination, mostly. Something about the downward angle felt more natural. However, the overhand thrusts are, if you're not expert, really tiring. Just holding it up there, you do all these little micro-corrections. The guys who taught me laughed at me, and said that it reminded them of being kids and practicing this for the first time-- they could hold their spears up and cocked and it didn't tire them much at all.

That would be awesome to do.

An overhand motion is more aligned with your visual field, making aiming easier. It seems like the musculature is probably more developed for that movement as well, although this can be overcome with training. Softball pitching vs baseball, for example.

Edit: I definitely should've mentioned Corbett alongside Mahan.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

the JJ posted:

That is sort of the prototypical Greek hoplite battle, though a. terrain, tactics, and other forces could change things very quickly and b. they are still trying to stab each other. Pushing was incidental, not a major part of the game plan.

And yeah, Salamis hosed up the Persian supply lines and they lost at Plataea. The Athenians were off shore looking for a ruckus, the Spartans could hold the Isthmus of Corinth pretty much indefinitely, so there was no real 'exit plan' for the Persians. What else were they going to do, settle down for an attritional war in a foreign land while that big rear end army starts to cough politely and ask about when their paychecks are coming though?

They were already having supply problems as well, since the fleeing Greeks took/destroyed useful crops as they left.

The French introduction of military hospitals and retirement homes was a gradual process that iirc took place mostly in the 17th and early 18th century. They were quite atrocious for a long time, though. The purpose was less than amicable. Hospitals were to save the investment made in professional soldiers, in an era where disease was a worse enemy than, well, the enemy, and retirement homes were less to reward soldiers and more to get these trained killers off the streets to prevent their turn toward banditry.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Fangz posted:

That is all well and good if you have those toys, and plenty of time to use them, but that is not always the case.

Boastful statements generally aren't made while considering the worst-case scenario.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Flesnolk posted:

Would it be at all possible for a clash between major powers to not immediately result in nuclear armageddon?

Also, to stay on topic, a really popular alternate history idea is "what if Britain won the AWI". A lot of people portray it like everything would've been sunshine and roses from then on, but how feasible was the win? I know the French basically did all the real work, so I imagine if they don't enter the rebel colonists get curbstomped? How would a British victory in the colonies have affected the empire's later fortunes? They seemed to do just fine (I like to joke better) without the American colonies.

The odds of victory are kind of an interesting thing. The Battle of Saratoga is, without question, a major event in the war. Even considering teleological concerns, it was a significant turning point. The British had taken note of the political motivations throughout the colonies and identified that in the southern and middle colonies, the insurrection wasn't so strong and those colonies would go with whichever side won the war. The rebellion was centered and mostly supported from New England. So Burgoyne was to march south along the Hudson from Canada and combine his army with Howe's, which was hovering around New York and Philadelphia dancing with Washington. Joining armies along the river valley would drive a wedge between New England and the rest of the colonies, isolating the vast majority of the rebels and greatly shrinking the area of operations. Two armies in a much smaller area would have far more success than Howe roaming the entire countryside trying to get Washington to fight. It also probably would've isolated Washington away from his power base in New England.

However, Burgoyne lost impressively and Howe was basically left with what he had and little chance of reinforcements from England. George, Germain, and the other ministers had to formulate a new strategy; and they knew there was little chance of the decisive victory over the rebellion that they'd held out hope for earlier.

And here we come to the big problem of the British, and one which was causing issues even before the loss of one of their major field armies: there wasn't much else they could do. Realistically, the British were all-in. They were completely tapped on soldiers without abandoning other possessions. France was threatening all over the place: Gibraltar, the Caribbean, and even the Home Islands. The Royal Navy, in keeping Howe supplied, was already running the largest naval logistics effort in history (which wouldn't be surpassed until D-Day). They bet everything on Burgoyne and Howe because they had to...and in the aftermath there was nothing new they could really bring. Burgoyne's troops simply could not be replaced.

Prior to Saratoga, British victory was at least a possibility. Afterwards, not so much.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The romans invented this so yeah it's been around for a couple of thousand years. The romans had an entirely professional volunteer army pretty much like any first-world modern state today. Even the organisation of modern armies has evolved from the roman system where a small group is commanded by one man, then another man commands several of those men, and another man commands several of those, and up and up until the commanding general.

The idea didn't really catch on with anyone else post-rome though, from what I understand. Part of the reason they're called the dark ages I guess?

Such a command structure existed long before Rome, and continued in use after. It's pretty much the only way to control an army. And the term "dark ages," which isn't used anymore, was a way to separate much of the Middle Ages from the light of Roman Europe and the Renaissance. It's a pretty lovely term and isn't accurate, hence the hostility toward it.

Taerkar posted:

Perhaps I worded it wrong. I was asking more about how the soldiers were trained. Did they do a more one-on-one approach or were there a series of drills and motions that the troops would go through.

Part of modern combat training is to drill basic actions into the soldiers so that they don't have to think about performing various actions and thus remain effective during more stressful moments.

The Romans used drills. Marching in step, etc. Formation maneuvers. The countermarch used for early European firearms drills (shooting and reloading) was influenced by the Roman model.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Outside Dawg posted:

Best guess is the late 1700's, "Retreat" is akin to "Taps" in the US Military, in the context of signaling the end of the day.

Taps is the signal for lights out, Retreat is still played on US bases at the end of the duty day. The specific time is up to the installation commander, but it's usually 4:30 or 5pm. My last base changed it to 5 because it was completely loving up traffic flow as everyone raced to go home (if driving, you're supposed to stop during Reveille and Retreat).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

AirForce.txt

On Navy bases it's at sunset goddamnit. Also nobody goes home at 4:30.

Civilians and contractors usually leave between 3:30 and 4, because what are you gonna do about it? Fire them? :laffo:

At Hill AFB, they call the 4:00 traffic jam to the gates the Mormon 500.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Outside Dawg posted:

The only "bugle" call (played on a phonograph) I ever recall hearing aside from Reveille and Taps at Camp Pendleton, was Colors.

(e): The only time Taps was used for "lights out" was during boot.

It's played at like 10 or 11 on AFBs.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

a travelling HEGEL posted:

Edit: For instance, there's an Italian guy from the late 1400s or early 1500s (I forgot his name, but he's quoted in one of the War And Society books) who thinks that a village on fire in the background of your battle is like a meal's dessert course--it adds zip and interest. You can also set the nearest village on fire if it's getting dark and you need light to fight by. :yotj:

I vaguely remember a Brit said something similar during the Boxer Rebellion.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's few set battles, sure (for the people who may not know as much about this period, a single battle is quite costly and can decide a commander's entire career--they tend to weigh their options very carefully when considering one), but there's plenty of skirmishing, beating up quarters, or rolling up into a village and destroying the place.

Remember William Crowne's diary--they're a diplomatic mission and they didn't see a single battle, but everyone knows very well to never go into the woods without a convoy, and then a few of their company go missing and turn up tortured to death. Set piece battle or no, that could gently caress you up in the head.

Also living off the land, forcing contributions from peasants, etc. Violence was hardly restricted to open battle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

InspectorBloor posted:

Context and all that. Do you know any martial art, where it's encouraged to act lazy?

Yeah, the Finance office. :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Most countries that bought Soviet hardware also followed the basics of Soviet doctrine...or they at least knew about it and ignored it. Token efforts at training were common, but there wasn't much enforcement of doctrinal training by the Soviets in most cases. But you usually see something similar, simply because that's how the equipment was designed to be used. For example, if it's the 60s or 70s and you just bought a bunch of Soviet radars and fighter jets, you're going to be heavily GCI-dependent. Not necessarily because you want to copy Soviet employment, but because your fighter radars are poo poo and your ground radars are reasonably effective. It's also a lot cheaper to train good controllers than pilots.

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

I can't help but picture the Soviets sending Arab nations crappy 'export models' of their own doctrine.

That's far more effort than they put into it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

the JJ posted:

e: It can also be a bit of a 'jury duty' phenomenon with conscripted national militaries. The ones actually competent enough to fill those jobs are also the ones competent enough to find something better to do with their lives.

This isn't limited to conscript militaries. There's been growing attention for the past couple of years on the brain drain in the US military, for example. There's a lot of consternation because to make it to colonel or above, you either have to play politics successfully or backstab mercilessly, which leads most of the actual leaders and competent officers to bail as captains or majors. It's going to be pretty interesting to see if someone can figure out a way to quantify what's going on and actually produce a study. Everybody's got the anecdotes, but that's not good enough. It'd be interesting as hell to read, but I can't wrap my head around how to actually study it effectively.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Syria is about the same latitude as the Carolinas. It's not equatorial.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think the range is a product of the size of the work, rather than a literal depiction. "Wait until you see the whites of their eyes" is generally a bad idea.

Nothing about the cavalry's posture says "charging" to me at all. I think we're looking at crossbowmen shooting while the cavalry is forming up and the proximity is just because the guy isn't carving the side of a barn.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah I don't understand that statement at all.

The Brits were vastly superior in conventional combat to anything the Americans could put together. American victories over British regulars were about as far from common as it gets. On the contrary, it scared the hell out of a lot of rebel troops.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Or nationalist...when we're talking about English-language books dealing with the USSR, you've probably got a heavy dose of that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It pretty much was. Liddel Hart and Fuller developed a doctrine of rapid movement, bypass and penetration which was wholeheartedly adopted by the germans and shrugged off by their own military. These concepts were then proven in the blitz on France.

Probably didn't help that Fuller was a complete lunatic who happened to have the right idea.

Liddel Hart had a lot less to do with driving doctrine than most people think. Guderian didn't even mention him in his book until LH wrote him a letter asking to be credited, which is what shows up in later editions.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Alchenar posted:

Incidentally the wikipedia page on Hart appears to have been vandalised into a sycophantic attack on his critics.

I just read through it...it's a bit...flattering. Particularly the last section, which describes how BLH "graciously" lied in an interview to make himself look better.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Has anyone tried a Latin course from Rosetta Stone or something similar? It's a cheaper/smaller course than their usual Spanish/French/German/etc, but I'd only be interested in becoming functionally literate for random poo poo like this.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you ever have the opportunity to actually visit France, I suggest you take it. That's probably the best (only) way to find records detailed enough. The good news is that the French Ministry of Defence appears to have records going back to the 17th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Rosetta Stone sucks balls. If a college near you will let you enroll in classes even if you don't go there, that's what I did.

Six years ago, which explains my current problems.

That's the other (significantly more expensive) option.

• Locked thread