Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
What's the origin of the staff numbering system (for the US military, at least)?

1-Personnel/Admin
2-Intelligence
3-Operations
4-Logistics/Supply
5-Plans
6-Communications
7-Training
8-Finance/Comptroller
9-Strategic Messaging/Information Operations/Civil Military Operations/New name for this of the year

I know it's based off the Prussian staff system but haven't been able to find a good explanation of why which section was assigned which number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

Can someone explain the origin of military radio call sign numbers? Why is the leader/commander the six - as in Big Duke 6. And why are the other numbers the numbers they are? I remember being surprised watching Band of Brothers when one of the radio men is handing the radio to the company commander and says "Easy Red, standby for the six." So they were using this number system at least as early as WWII (if the series is accurate in that way).

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

bewbies posted:

I've heard two different theories for the "six thing". Both stem from the fact that, In WWII, radio nets only went down to the regimental level in infantry units. The first is that there were typically five subordinate units on the tactical net in a regiment: the three battalions, the regimental guns, and the anti-tank company. Hence, 1 thru 5, with 6 being the regiment commander. The second is that the regimental commander was a colonel, or O-6, so asking for "the six" meant the commander.

As to why its use continued postwar: the "six" designation kind of fell nicely into battalion-level radio nets after WWII: each staff section got its staff designator (1-4), then 5/6/7 were the XO, CO, and CSM respectively.

I'm not sure if this makes sense because during WWII radio nets were sometimes at the company level, two echelons below the regiment. Although going through my original post it sounds like they were using colors to identify the platoons instead of the modern day methods which would be "Easy 1-6" for the platoon leader of first platoon, Easy company.

Same goes for the numbering of staff sections. The battalion or regimental Intel officer wouldn't have an entire callsign to himself, I wouldn't think. The staff sections are not on tactical nets.

• Locked thread