Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Hey military history goons. Thanks for making an awesome new megapost. I'm still dreaming that someday someone is going to come and drop knowledge about something in Latin America.

Just a reminder for anyone new to the thread that I have a Korean history podcast. I've been doing it for 3 years and for the past year (almost 13 hours of recorded material with more always "on the way") I have been covering in detail The First Great Asian War which is know by various combatants as:
    The Glorious Invasion of Korea
    The Rescue of Korea
    The Japanese Calamity of the Black Water Dragon Year

Those names were coined immediately after the conflict and more than 400 years later still represent each country's view of the war.

To sum it up, in late 16th century Asia a newly unified country carried out a naval invasion across more than 50km of water with more soldiers than landed on D-Day. They arrived with the intention of conquering the greatest state in Asia. The resulting war was fought entirely in the territory of a third country and included things like:

The world's first mortar fired explosive shell.

A three story castle ship and ships that fire nine foot long iron tipped arrows.

A shrine with 30-120,000 severed noses in it.

The Wolf's Tooth :black101:

"It is easy for me to die, difficult to let you pass"

Badass women.

Badass monks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQhSXA3AKh4
Terror weapons

as well as things like......
Samurai named John, Darius, Pedro, and Augustin.
Black African Mercenaries
Vietnamese "Wolf Men"
Spanish Galleons
Regifted Thai War Elephants
Jesuits
Tiger hunting
People hunting
Thermopylae at sea.

So if anyone is looking for a relatively unknown era to delve into, this might be it! There are now 3 fantastic English language surveys of the conflict as well as a host of primary sources from all participants that have been translated into English.

There is also a pretty interesting graphic novel series.

As an interesting note, back in September I visited the Hideyoshi museum at Osaka Castle. Now I'm sure most of you have heard about Japanese textbooks controversies regarding WWII and their tendency to minimize atrocities etc. So imagine my surprise when I got to the section about the First Great Asian War and the English/Korean display said that Hideyoshi tried to commit "genocide" and that he "terrorized the Korean people". I was definitely surprised to see that kind of language in a Japanese museum. I'm not sure if it is because of changing attitudes, or because this conflict was long enough ago that they don't really care about coming off as noble or if the main Japanese inscription did not actually include those terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
I recently published the tenth episode of my podcast about the Imjin War. So far that like...11 hours of material about an absolutely ridiculous conflict which is incredibly under appreciated in western historiography. Forums Rome superstar Grand Fromage has been really helpful taking pictures of old forts and signs around Ulsan as well as tying up some loose ends (lost photos) during his recent visit to the Hideyoshi museum at Osaka Castle so much thanks to him.

The Black Water Dragon Part X posted:

After 3 years of failed diplomacy, an enraged Hideyoshi orders his army to return to the peninsula and loot the as yet untouched province of Jeolla. A Japanese double agent succeeds in orchestrating a Korean naval disaster, while the Chinese vanguard suffers a similar fate.

I figure this picture fits pretty well into recent discussion of the 30 Years War being as their are 30-120,000 severed Korean and Chinese noses inside this mound. It was pretty surreal to see old people playing board games and little kids walking to school right passed this. It's just surrounded by a bunch of residential housing and kind of comes at you out of nowhere.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Its sad that all I know about the war for the longest time was based on one of the campaigns of underrated RTS Empires: Dawn of the Modern World. A game where you also play Patton who could take out pillboxes with his pistol :black101:

I mean, Hideyoshi's invasion of Korea involved as many men as landed on D-Day except using 16th century technology and logistics......and he did it twice.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
So I wrote an article about naval battles of the Imjin War and Part 1 of it is in this month's edition of History Is Now (I think it's free but requires an iDevice for now......:negative: I'm not sure, I don't have one.)

As it stands I'm editing the final draft for the 11th and final part of my podcast on the war. A few people from the thread have PMed me asking about it so hopefully this isn't too spammy to give an update.

• Locked thread