Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Two Best Friends Play started out as a series of videos, quickly picked up by Machinima, featuring a pair of guys by the names of Matt and Pat yelling at each other a whole lot. The series was somewhat shtick ridden and of middling quality, or in other words it was a Machinima video series.

Where things started to get interesting was when they suddenly decided they were just going to trying and do some full length Let's Play series, starting off with Silent Hill Downpour and Resident Evil 2. These dropped the shtick and revealed that both the hosts were actually pretty god drat entertaining, and it just kind of exploded from there. They now produce daily video content in the form of full LPs, one off episodes, vlogs, and even a bizarre arts and crafts thing on their main channel. Meanwhile the Machinima series has dramatically improved now that they're mostly just doing things naturally, and there were also two additional members of the cast in the form of Woolie and Liam.

Where this intersects with RGD is their fairly new podcast, which I at least think is pretty excellent, and in fact on par with the Giant Bombcast as far as game stuff goes. Their primary focus tends to be fighting game community news, although they talk about gaming news in general.

As of July 2014, they've at last got a web site all their own! ORDER NOW!
The Machinima series (updated Sundays when active) is here.
Their main channel (updated daily) is here.
And the actual podcast (updated Tuesdays) is here.

Dramatis Personae

Matt

One of the two original headliners, Matt is is half-American, obsessed with all things Predator, and the group's sole defender of the Tales series.

Pat

The other half of the original team, Pat is a man of simple tastes: he likes to buy fight sticks which he doesn't end up using, has a shrine to JRPG company Atlus, and wishes for the entire staff of Quantic Dream to be launched into the sun. Commonly known as "angry Pat" for reasons that quickly become obvious.

Woolie

From the second wave of Best Friends comes Woolie. At once respected as the best fighting game player of the group, he is also constantly insulted for losing to Daigo in a tournament, choosing MVC3 over sex, disliking Deadly Premonition, and also a series of crimes the others just make up for him every new playthrough, such as a tendency to steal pies. Acts as the host of the Podcast.

Liam

Originally brought in to save Woolie and Matt from being awful at Metroid Fusion, Liam has wormed his way into the main cast and aids Woolie in the task of taking poo poo, in Liam's case for his love of all the most kawaii animes in the universe and also Madoka Magica.

Plague of Gripes

While not an official best friend, Youtube animator Plague of Gripes rose to honorary member when he decided to start providing visual representation of Matt and Pat's insane ramblings from the Machinima episodes. The Best Friends hold him in both adoration and fear for his talent at drawing military canines and his bottomless reserve of knowledge on duck reproduction. His channel is here.

Zach

The secret lord of the Zaibatsu, likes 80s punk music, old monster movies, Richard Donner, coffee, and police ladies. Hates primary colored trees.

2 Snacks

Animator, makes the intro for the Machinima episodes and the cartoon Two Best Friends adventures. Likes those ponies all the cool goons are into. Youtube here

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
They're really loud, but I like them because they're super passionate about stuff that I like.

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

You aren't my Alves, Afonso Alves,
you make me sa-aad when sky's are blue,
and Georgie Best, cost fucking less,
so please take my Alves away.
Glad to see this posted here honestly I'm actually expecting the podcast to start gaining more traction than the youtube channel eventually since it's so drat funny and could appeal to almost anyone who's into gaming.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
Even if you don't like their videos, the podcast is well worth listening to. I linked it to a friend who was looking for more gaming podcasts and his response was "These guys are video games." He didn't realize until he was a couple episodes in that they were the Two Best Friends that he hated on YouTube.

I think what makes it so good is that all four of them really passionately care about games, while also not being beholden to any journalistic expectations so they can call things as they see them.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ximum posted:

Even if you don't like their videos, the podcast is well worth listening to. I linked it to a friend who was looking for more gaming podcasts and his response was "These guys are video games." He didn't realize until he was a couple episodes in that they were the Two Best Friends that he hated on YouTube.

Is it those old machinima videos he hates? Because they are quite terrible, but if he likes the podcast and hasn't seen their more recent stuff he might want to look into it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020

Rodyle posted:

Is it those old machinima videos he hates? Because they are quite terrible, but if he likes the podcast and hasn't seen their more recent stuff he might want to look into it.

He went back and checked them out again later. He's not a fan of Let's Play no matter who does it, but he did really like Fighterpedia and the Brawls.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I've been a huge fan of The Best Friends since the beginning and I love podcasts and I love The Super Best Friendcast.

It's way more organized and coherent than I expected and I get the added homesick thrill of occasionally hearing Montreal/Quebec stuff.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

OP, you need to add Woolie's greatest crime: He's an Other M apologist. :colbert:

I am a massive fan of these guys. The Machinima videos vary wildly in quality but everything on their other channel is great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love these guys. Their playthrough of Beyond Two Souls has kept me from Gameflying it out of curiosity because there's no way me playing it can be as fun as hearing them yell about a baby coming out of a hobo lady all Attack on Titan style.

Also yea their podcast is shockingly good, I was worried without a visual "LOOK AT THIS STUPID poo poo" factor they'd not be as funny but they were smart enough to make the podcast just them hanging out as real life buddies chattin bout games and poo poo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Genetic Toaster posted:

OP, you need to add Woolie's greatest crime: He's an Other M apologist. :colbert:
Should also give Zach an entry.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I've been watching TBFP since the Fighterpedia days, and I'm probably in the minority in liking most of the Machinima content just as much as the Sw1tcher content (though the first two years are pretty rough), and I still use Persona 4 as the gold standard for TBFP. The podcast is excellent, it feels just like sitting in on a Québécois version of my friends, down to the same Buster Wolf joke.

Thread should probably be called Super Best Friendcast, since this is RGD and all.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I love these guys. Their playthrough of Beyond Two Souls has kept me from Gameflying it out of curiosity because there's no way me playing it can be as fun as hearing them yell about a baby coming out of a hobo lady all Attack on Titan style.
Two Souls is one of those games where watching an LP is effectively the same as pirating the game.

"I'll be your STAND"
"Stop trying to make this cool"

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

Thread should probably be called Super Best Friendcast, since this is RGD and all.

Nah, the Giant Bomb thread gets away with it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Québécois
I think this only applies to Liam, didn't they mention in one of the recent episodes that the other three don't really speak French? My impression is that they're in Ottawa. ~Best Friends Internet Cartography~

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Nah, the Giant Bomb thread gets away with it.
This is why I made it like I did.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

I think this only applies to Liam, didn't they mention in one of the recent episodes that the other three don't really speak French? My impression is that they're in Ottawa. ~Best Friends Internet Cartography~

This is why I made it like I did.

They all live in Montreal, but Liam is the only one who grew up in a French-speaking house, iirc. You can totally live in Quebec and get by not speaking much French. Especially shut-ins like Pat.

re. Giant Bomb: fair enough, I actually hadn't noticed that before. Carry on.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 21, 2013

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
By far my favorite thing from these guys is their play through of Double Dragon Neon, it's like watching two guys transform into excited 10 year olds, their enthusiasm is really infectious.

Hoooooooollllly poo poo, I had just listened to their podcast and within 30 seconds they had me gasping with laughter when they were coming up with derogatory terms for fans of consoles through the generations. amazing.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 21, 2013

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

My favorite thing about The Best Friends is they LP a lot of games that I want to see LP'd and I know they won't be annoying or have an unwatchable LP like 98% of the ones on youtube.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't go on /co/ much, but apparently Plague does. The results, as you can see, are terrifying.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Rodyle posted:

I don't go on /co/ much, but apparently Plague does. The results, as you can see, are terrifying.

uh, what's going on here? what's this got to do with best friends?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Haven't you seen PlagueOfGripe's Predator College video?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh man, you'll never get into Predator Frat now, nerd!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
The fact that Zach still isn't in the OP is a failure of the thread designer.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Are you James Small?

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Al-Saqr posted:

It began with Matt and Pat talking about this :nws:(audio wise) animation of Star Trek in one of their playthroughs, and eventually they decided to friend Plague on facebook. Also Rodyle omitted 2snacks for a very good reason despite the latter being responsible for the Two Best friends machinima intros/Super Funtime Adventures.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

Also Rodyle omitted 2snacks for a very good reason despite the latter being responsible for the Two Best friends machinima intros/Super Funtime Adventures.

That reason is actually that I forgot about 2Snacks. I don't watch Funtime Adventures. Is there something I should know?

I'll add Zach to to the OP this week, I swear!

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 29, 2013

nightfries
Apr 5, 2004