Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

I just want to say I'm rewatching the Omikron Lets Play in it's entirety and it is just _painfully_ funny. I forgot how tremendously awful it is and it's amazing how it seems to bring out the best in all three of the guys.

There are, of course, some slow progress-less periods but even then, their horrible descent into despair just makes it so enjoyable to watch. And that makes the few moments of joy just so much more impactful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

It's them totally out of their element. Matt alternately enjoying playing with, and hating playing with, the unbelievable terrible controls - Woolie desperately trying to work his way through literally the worst GameFAQs text document ever while simultaneously attempting to make sure the LP is entertaining, then giving up totally - and Pat not even trying to be a know-it-all and just giving in to the hilarious suffering.

I'm only on part 11 and I know it gets so much worse and yet I'm looking forward to it so much.

Them chanting "KOOPY! SANDWICH! KOOPY! SANDWICH!" as a prelude to the further misery they have yet to come is tickling me so much, I almost feel bad.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Did the Best Friends ever find out that the first cop player character pavlov’s trained his koopy lizard to retrieve a key for him because I don’t think they did and that’s tragic.

They absolutely did not and what the gently caress? Really? I honestly can't tell if you're joking because the game based on the LP is just a clusterfuck of fucks.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

This is such a bummer. SBFP was one of the few Youtube channels I still eagerly check regularly. I _just_ finished rewatching the whole of the Omikron LP, which is pretty much the perfect LP of all time. I've been watching since Final Fight Streetwise, so like 6 years.

But it seems like this was the way things had to go, especially with deteriorating relationships within the group - so I can't blame them at all for doing it for their own sakes, and wish them all the best in the future. I honestly liked all three of them, and thought they worked really well together.

I'm glad the podcast is still going as well, it again is one of the few podcasts I still eagerly await each week, and has been a source of great enjoyment for years.

So, see you space cowboys. I'll miss SBFP a loving lot, but thanks for the years and years of enjoyment and laughter, and here's to your individual projects going foward!

-

Edit: If anyone does have any cool LP channels to recommend - of any type, really, I'm more interested in the personality of the players rather than the types of games now - I'd love to hear them.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Well the thumbnail for the Super Best Friend Cast just updated in my podcast app to show Castle Super Beast, which actually makes me feel a little bit better about this major bummer. I'm glad Pat and Woolie are going to continue the podcast.

I loved the three of them together, but if I had to pick two to continue the podcast alone, I would have to agree with others, Chewie and Fuckface are a strong duo -- even with Pat's abrasiveness. =D

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I used to follow Game Grumps but the fact they rarely finish a game sort of turned me off on em. I originally got into SBF because they always finished what they started.

This is something I never really appreciated until I started looking for other LPers to watch - I love the fact that SBF (nearly) always played a game to completion and finished their LPs.

A lot of LP channels, Game Grumps in particular as you said, don't seem to finish very much.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

This feels like they just weren't vibing with each other anymore for a bunch of smaller reasons and now The Internet is going out there trying to discover or invent some big dramatic narrative instead of just accepting that.

This is exactly the thing. There are probably 100 small reasons why this happened and we can theorycraft and hypothesise all day and we might get close - but these are real living breathing people who live their lives 22 out of the 24 hours a day without us watching them.

Even if we identify some of the major reasons we can't possibly know the real-life context in all its thousand tiny parts - times three because it involves three (or four or five or six or thirty if you involve their real-life friends).

And I'm not blaming anyone in this thread for talking about it, of course, it's only natural to talk about it. I'm mostly talking about other people online drawing immediate conclusions from scanty information. And I'm kinda glad that at least in this thread people are taking a more nuanced approach to the whole thing.

Which is also why I kinda support keeping the thread open at least for a bit, because people here are expressing opinions but I've not seen anyone _overtly_ and _offensively_ "taking sides." Plus people (like me) need a place just to talk this through in a chill place and come to terms with this - as stupid as that may sound.

Now I'm just babbling but gently caress it. I love SBFP and this thread is a p good thread.

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Man, thank you guys for reminding me just how many awesome LPs there are, I'm making a list of my favourites to go back and watch again. Very partially complete & ongoing:

Eternal Darkness
Chrono Trigger
XCOM
Dark Souls 2, 3, Demons Souls, Blood Bourne
Parasite Eve (+2)
Super Mario Bros RPG
Metroid Fusion
Alien Soldier (Woolie just being a superbeast)
The Evil Within (+2)
Call of Cthulhu
Omikron (Just finished rewatching this entirely about a week ago, but it's the kind of thing I'll be coming back to time and again).
Mario Party 9 Brawl
Deadly Premonition
The Last of Us
Man Vs Wild
Ride to Hell
The Nuzlocke Run
Undertale
Heavy Rain
Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Escape from Bug Island
Final Fantasy X
Soma
Rule of Rose

And several that to my shame I haven't actually watched or completed yet:

Indigo Prophecy
Beyond Two Souls
Detroit
Nier
Yakuza X
Minit
Metal Gear Solid V
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Pretty much all of FNF & SMS (I've never been in to fighting games so I tended to just automatically skip these, but I should check them out).

PS: What were the best Spindash/Sonic LPs? I can't remember if I watched any, or I'm just remembering the Game Grumps Sonic 06 LP.

Lor fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

God I have to hold myself back whenever some says that loving word

The punisher lp was so god drat good

Well I'm adding the Punisher LP to my watch list - I kinda remember watching a few episodes but it's time to revisit it.