Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Parasocial relationships make people legit go crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Warbird posted:

Ah, that was the term I’ve been trying to recall. People are dealing with a unexpected pseudo breakup and I bet some enterprising PhD student could make a very interesting paper out of all this. Wasn’t there a Netflix documentary about this sort of thing recently?

Not sure but here's a great video series on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3vD_CAYt4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLA-uFKjQ-g

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
But yeah seeing their fans go through this really does resemble like a bad breakup. People are taking sides, and are legit hurting over this. The way I see it is more like a long-running tv series ended and I'll still be able to see these guys in their separate channels and stuff. The nature of Youtube/Twitch/podcasts/etc makes it seem like you're in the room with them or whatever and they are your friends, but they aren't despite how much that content creator tells you. The effects of parasocial relationships and how they end is going to have some pretty bad consequences in the future. We're just barely starting to see it right now.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

hoobajoo posted:

I think parasocial relationships are legit reasons to get attached to people. I don't think it's wrong, stupid, or invalid to care about someone you know and like, however you got there. Parasocial relationships are only really a problem when weirdos start thinking it's like an actual friendship.

Yeah and there's a bunch of weirdos online. I saw a lot of people pour one out in this thread with their own stories of how the channel got them through a tough time and thats good. But people are going off on social media and its gnarly out there.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Personally if you're going to reach out to someone like that. Don't do it in the public sphere imo. Reach out with a personal message, text, or something more private.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Charlie Bobson posted:

I agree! There are better ways Pat could have reached out. I just don't feel it was necessarily a douche-y move made with negative intentions.

Anything you do publicly brings in your fanbase/followers and since its not private you are basically allowing them to chime in as well. Maybe it wasn't an unintentional douche move, but he should know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm gonna say this thread gets to stay open, at least until there's a better idea of what everyone's solo ventures are gonna shape up like. You can decide whether or not to make separate threads for those or just keep using this one.

lol a new thread was already made