Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
Even if you don't like their videos, the podcast is well worth listening to. I linked it to a friend who was looking for more gaming podcasts and his response was "These guys are video games." He didn't realize until he was a couple episodes in that they were the Two Best Friends that he hated on YouTube.

I think what makes it so good is that all four of them really passionately care about games, while also not being beholden to any journalistic expectations so they can call things as they see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Is it those old machinima videos he hates? Because they are quite terrible, but if he likes the podcast and hasn't seen their more recent stuff he might want to look into it.

He went back and checked them out again later. He's not a fan of Let's Play no matter who does it, but he did really like Fighterpedia and the Brawls.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The fact that Zach still isn't in the OP is a failure of the thread designer.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

The fact that their knowledge and enthusiasm is genuine means they don't have to force out that energy like basically everyone else on youtube. No facecam, no rapid cuts to trim dead air, no clearly scripted jokes or "wacky" personalities, just some best friends playing games. It's a really minimalist format, which makes it easy for the commentary to shine.

I love that the one time they did do facecam, it was just Pat looking vaguely bored for half an hour.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The hoverhands and Zach kill me every time I see that picture.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

It's his real name.

What's more, he's actually Woolie, Jr.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

But you can dodge the rocks in the final fight as well, so there is no "mandatory" cutting there.

But you have to use the Ninja Run, which we have already written off as a useless dumb gimmick, and not a slick move.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The Kins posted:

Exclusive leaked screenshots from Way of the Samurai 6:

The best thing about these pictures if that if you imagine Pat in Woolie's place and change literally nothing else, the genre changes.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

One of the characters in Beatdown is a mysterious yet fabulous snake-style kung fu villain type, but they named him Aaron. One of the other characters is literally Woolie. Also, the game is balls-out insane, basically what Final Fight Streetwise should have been.

So vote for Beeatdown is what I'm saying.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

When you're playing a game that is trying to be Resident Evil as hard as it can, and it hands you a limited source of fire and tells you to burn bodies with it, thinking there's some kind of Crimson Head mechanic is an easy conclusion to come to.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Pretty hosed up how nobody mentioned Chun-Li's Alpha outfit as one of the best alternate costumes.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It said episode 1, unless they meant episode 1 of that part? :confused:

edit: assume I know absolutely nothing about JoJo or how it is structured.

The beginning of the manga is called Phantom Blood. The current anime is on its third season. The first season (from 2011, I think?) covers Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency, the first two parts. Season two was last year and covered the first half of the third part, Stardust Crusaders. Season three just started this month and covers the last half of Stardust Crusaders. There was an OVA in the 90s that was a very condensed version of Stardust Crusaders.

The JoJo general thread is here and the spoiler-free anime thread is here. They'll help you out.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Now I'm curious about DaS2's re-release because this is the fifth place I've seen complaining about it though I'm not entirely sure why.

Also I feel kinda bad, I watched about 1 or 2 episodes of the Mad World playthrough and decided the violence wasn't for me (that and it was super hard for me to tell what was going on, it kinda looked like a mess with that artstyle though I'm assuming it's just youtube/me having poo poo eyes for black and white). Figured I'd see the last episode at least and it just sounded like the guys were beating themselves up over it. What a sendoff, yeesh.

It is a shame about MadWorld, because it is such a cool game. A lot of bad judgment calls were made, it seems. I don't want to tell them how to do their job, because they're the professionals and I'm a schlub on the internet, but they probably should have just recorded it straight from a Wii. That would have fixed the control issues at least, plus output a video recording that YouTube wouldn't massacre.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Indecisive posted:

wait didnt matt and pat do this game already or is it some other identical silent hill game

It was the second ever Best Friends video, back when Matt and Pat didn't have names, Woolie was only known as that guy who turned down a threesome for MVC3, and Liam hadn't been born yet.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

The Zaibatsu are playing through a game that analyzes your psyche as you play to make your worst nightmares come to life in real time. They're also playing a Silent Hill game.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

You should have tagged along uninvited, making awkward small talk peppered with some classic jokes so they knew you were a super-fan.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

It wouldn't really help, since it's impossible to see everything in one playthrough. I'd really only keep one on hand for directions through the ice sequences, and even then the amount of time you take in those and how well you can evade the Raw Shocks plays into your profile.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Yeah, luckily there's no "wrong" way to play Shattered Memories. I kind of wish they had done two playthroughs with two different groups, since the game is so short and different players can see different things. Probably not different enough to really be worth it, though.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

You'd think he would have lost his British accent.

He is New York's JoJo, after all.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Too late, Woolie's already added it to the docket for this week's podcast.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I dunno I've seen better.

Edit: On the topic of video games though are there any other fighters that let you just straight up heal? I know Roll in the VS games has a super that lets her heal up and I guess you could count Valentine's revival ability but the concepts always been kind of funny to me.

There's also Elena in Street Fighter.

The only fighting game I can think of with healing as a universal mechanic was one of the godawful early XBox fighters. You could get your limbs broken but spend meter to heal them mid-fight.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Protip for the dice games: they aren't random, just smack the die when the number you want is on top.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Woolie and Liam are usually fine together, Freedom Planet and The Fall for example.

Woolie/Matt is the only weak combo, and even then you occasionally get poo poo like Animorphs.

You may not have heard of a couple of concepts, known as Fighterpedia and Cryme Tyme.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

PUSH (Judgment of) RAGE

rip in piece alex riley

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Tupperwarez posted:

My friend found a guy with multiple A+ ratings, only to find that he was actually dogshit when he arrived at Mother Base. Apparently there's a 'Boastful' skill that inflates all their ratings when you scan them.

This loving game. Gonna buy the poo poo out of it during the next sale...

"Boastful" can work the opposite way, too, so it's a weird word choice for that skill.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Andrast posted:

I wouldn't want to see a Boss game either. The Boss was a great character in MGS3 and pointless explanation of her backstory wouldn't improve it at all. It would more likely just make the character retroactively worse.

Peace Walker did this, and it really makes you lose a lot of respect for her. Turns out Operation Snake Eater wasn't a one-time thing, she was constantly eating poo poo on behalf of the government and then shrugging and going "but I'm a true patriot, they like me actually" as they humiliate her yet again.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Crying Wolf is the one dark spot in a strong sniping history.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

pulp rag posted:

Unless the genocide route is actually super tedious and boring, I'd still go for it regardless.

It is. Intentionally, spitefully so.

Nearly every NPC disappears, and puzzles are pre-solved. The encounter rate bottoms out and you have a certain amount of battles per area to clear, so you'll be spending upwards of two hours wandering around empty areas hoping something happens. The only two challenging moments are absurdly difficult.

And, as has been brought up several times already, the story beats you do get assume that you've already played through once legit.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Lethal League has extremely high levels of hype.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

pulp rag posted:

Fuuuuck, I still think of that as a fever dream.

I need to go and watch that again tonight.

It pretty much was for me.

I was tired at work, started watching the video when it came out, and nodded off at my desk.

Then I woke up and there were cars fighting on my screen.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Goes without saying, but nobody should trust Liam, it is terrible

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

They're probably plenty busy as it is with NieR and Catherine both being pretty hefty games, just wrapping up Twilight Princess, JoJo just around the corner, and everything else coming out they want to cover along with getting into the thick of con season.

Even doing Furi as a one-shot was bringing out the git-guds, so I don't blame them if that was the reason. Though I hope somebody catches Woolie's hype for The Edge on camera when he gets to him.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

A few weeks ago, Liam described a game on the podcast that had beautiful animation, I think he said the character is a ballet dancer or something. Does anyone know what he was talking about? Provided it's not Vita-exclusive or Creepy Anime Bullshit.

vv Thank you!

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 7, 2016

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Justice Sloth posted:

Seek professional help, you owe it to the people who love you.

This, so much. Epic memes and poorly translated explanations aside, I have no idea how people STILL don't know how KC works. You walk down the street, with 10 paving-stones on the sidewalk in front of you. KC activates as you tread on stone 1, then concludes once you reach stone 10, erasing all the time between those points. Therefore, to your perception, you step onto paving stone 1 and arrive at stone 10. Just like how The Hand erases space, snapping two previously distant points together, KC does the same with time.

"The Hand but for time" is such a simple, elegant way to describe King Crimson. I'm surprised this is the first time I've seen the comparison.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Delicious Time!! Is from Way of the Samurai 4.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Do they not have white flags in Canada?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Isn't Huntress the daughter of Batman and Catwoman?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I want them to shut up about how cool character action games are and to actually play one on the channel, and if that means they have to practice or do the bare minimum beyond starting the game and hitting record then so be it.

Barent posted:

honestly I just want a podcast where pat & woolie bullshit about christianity the whole time

They should play El Shaddai and kill two birds with one stone.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Is this the first time Crazy Talk has attacked so directly? Is this a new level of power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Can you guys be specific? What video are you even talking about? Did the coffee leap from the pot and stab him in the eye or something? What happened?

Newest Evil Within 2. Pat is in a trapped room, proclaims he is in a safe area, and is then immediately phase-shifted into said trap for big death. It is glorious.