Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Two Best Friends Play started out as a series of videos, quickly picked up by Machinima, featuring a pair of guys by the names of Matt and Pat yelling at each other a whole lot. The series was somewhat shtick ridden and of middling quality, or in other words it was a Machinima video series.

Where things started to get interesting was when they suddenly decided they were just going to trying and do some full length Let's Play series, starting off with Silent Hill Downpour and Resident Evil 2. These dropped the shtick and revealed that both the hosts were actually pretty god drat entertaining, and it just kind of exploded from there. They now produce daily video content in the form of full LPs, one off episodes, vlogs, and even a bizarre arts and crafts thing on their main channel. Meanwhile the Machinima series has dramatically improved now that they're mostly just doing things naturally, and there were also two additional members of the cast in the form of Woolie and Liam.

Where this intersects with RGD is their fairly new podcast, which I at least think is pretty excellent, and in fact on par with the Giant Bombcast as far as game stuff goes. Their primary focus tends to be fighting game community news, although they talk about gaming news in general.

As of July 2014, they've at last got a web site all their own! ORDER NOW!
The Machinima series (updated Sundays when active) is here.
Their main channel (updated daily) is here.
And the actual podcast (updated Tuesdays) is here.

Dramatis Personae

Matt

One of the two original headliners, Matt is is half-American, obsessed with all things Predator, and the group's sole defender of the Tales series.

Pat

The other half of the original team, Pat is a man of simple tastes: he likes to buy fight sticks which he doesn't end up using, has a shrine to JRPG company Atlus, and wishes for the entire staff of Quantic Dream to be launched into the sun. Commonly known as "angry Pat" for reasons that quickly become obvious.

Woolie

From the second wave of Best Friends comes Woolie. At once respected as the best fighting game player of the group, he is also constantly insulted for losing to Daigo in a tournament, choosing MVC3 over sex, disliking Deadly Premonition, and also a series of crimes the others just make up for him every new playthrough, such as a tendency to steal pies. Acts as the host of the Podcast.

Liam

Originally brought in to save Woolie and Matt from being awful at Metroid Fusion, Liam has wormed his way into the main cast and aids Woolie in the task of taking poo poo, in Liam's case for his love of all the most kawaii animes in the universe and also Madoka Magica.

Plague of Gripes

While not an official best friend, Youtube animator Plague of Gripes rose to honorary member when he decided to start providing visual representation of Matt and Pat's insane ramblings from the Machinima episodes. The Best Friends hold him in both adoration and fear for his talent at drawing military canines and his bottomless reserve of knowledge on duck reproduction. His channel is here.

Zach

The secret lord of the Zaibatsu, likes 80s punk music, old monster movies, Richard Donner, coffee, and police ladies. Hates primary colored trees.

2 Snacks

Animator, makes the intro for the Machinima episodes and the cartoon Two Best Friends adventures. Likes those ponies all the cool goons are into. Youtube here

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ximum posted:

Even if you don't like their videos, the podcast is well worth listening to. I linked it to a friend who was looking for more gaming podcasts and his response was "These guys are video games." He didn't realize until he was a couple episodes in that they were the Two Best Friends that he hated on YouTube.

Is it those old machinima videos he hates? Because they are quite terrible, but if he likes the podcast and hasn't seen their more recent stuff he might want to look into it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Genetic Toaster posted:

OP, you need to add Woolie's greatest crime: He's an Other M apologist. :colbert:
Should also give Zach an entry.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Québécois
I think this only applies to Liam, didn't they mention in one of the recent episodes that the other three don't really speak French? My impression is that they're in Ottawa. ~Best Friends Internet Cartography~

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Nah, the Giant Bomb thread gets away with it.
This is why I made it like I did.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't go on /co/ much, but apparently Plague does. The results, as you can see, are terrifying.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

uh, what's going on here? what's this got to do with best friends?

Haven't you seen PlagueOfGripe's Predator College video?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

Also Rodyle omitted 2snacks for a very good reason despite the latter being responsible for the Two Best friends machinima intros/Super Funtime Adventures.

That reason is actually that I forgot about 2Snacks. I don't watch Funtime Adventures. Is there something I should know?

I'll add Zach to to the OP this week, I swear!

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 29, 2013

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'll never get tired of them just making poo poo up about Woolie.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've only played Yakuza 3 and ended up setting it aside due to being busy. Does Yakuza 4 still have those weird photo op things where you get new moves which are invariably totally loving insane?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Ab2xw7hVE

Uh, tis the season I guess!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gorefiend posted:

I really like this podcast for the most part, but I really hate Liam.

Why?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie's deep seated rage against Gundamn Seed Destiny is truly great and terrible to behold.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WYZVmdw9gw

This is some lovingly rendered nonsense.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Once, I thought watching people open boxes on the internet was stupid.

I curse Giant Bomb for changing my mind on this.

That Joseph figure :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If you can't handle Liam's love of the animes and SoR, I just don't know what to say.

It seems like Matt's hatred for Shadow grows with each successive Spindash Quicklook.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That part in one of the brawlers (Dragon's Crown I think) when some fat goblin lady comes on screen and Matt goes "WOW PAT HOW'D YOUR MOM GET HERE" and there's this pause before he goes "She's always so nice to you" is legit one of the funniest things they've done.

One time they were talking about herand Pat said something like "the worst part is sometimes she'll be talking to me and say something like 'that joke Matt made about me last night was GOLD' and then I don't know how to respond."

Al-Saqr posted:

In today's video intro, Pat goes against his true personality by revealing that he actually is capable of loving his mom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTi7yu9LsuQ

I... I think Disaster is really boring and it's the first full LP I've dropped in ages. I'm sorry. I'm the rear end in a top hat :negative:

Is this what it's like to be a Deadly Premonition hater?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am torn between enjoying the ever-present fear and incredulity it prompts and the fact that most Gal Gun videos are pretty much the same (granting that I've only seen Giant Bomb, Best Friends, and Kuvo's stream of it).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Smash and EVO destroy best friendships.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

When Gacha Gacha showed up I thought that'd be the weirdest thing in the mailbag.

Boy. I was wrong.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Why did someone send them eight pounds of cereal marshmallows? What are they even going to do with all that, add them to Cheerios?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think Seth is secretly Santa Claus or something.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am sorry for not believing you, guy who said that Y4's revelation's were way weirder than 3's. I was unimpressed by Akiyama's for the most part, but Saejima loving brings the thunder.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I hope someone actually sends them an arcade cabinet now.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've only seen the first DKS2 video but I'm kind of annoyed at Liam basically leading Matt around in such a way as to guarantee he'll hate the game compared to Pat actually coaching.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That was what I meant yes, Pat was doing a real good job, and Woolie was consequently getting super into it. Liam just gave Matt rope and watched as he hung himself with it, though admittedly this is slightly less terrible with the revelation in the second video that Liam didn't know how to level up either as opposed to just messing with Matt.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItjiPSW-8Sg

I don't understand how the most entertaining thing I watch every week someone became "four Canadians open boxes."

is this the future

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah you can disagree or dislike someone without being a loving psycho about it. Not that the internet is ever so properly restrained, but hey, the Best Friends seem to be!

I kind of hope that once they've all beaten Dark Souls 2 they consider doing a special spoilercast for it because I want to hear them all really dig into it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

drat it, I've had a package I wanted to send but the cross-border postage was too expensive for my broke student rear end :smith:

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 5, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quakster posted:

Take a good step back and look at what you just posted.

It wasn't anything crazy, just two books for Woolie and Pat.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A good poster posted:

Since this latest podcast was dated April 1st, did they put in the segment talking about this article as a joke, or did they not realize that p4rgaming is The Onion of videogames?

They have known and have been in love with p4rgaming for awhile so yes that's a joke.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pat and Liam are breaking my heart with the Log Horizon hate :negative:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmdbB2rqMMw

Woolie is just dying this entire video and it's amazing.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Stop the loving presses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNc9R1zfwM0

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Podcast is on fire this week.
Pat: "I have this image of someone looking at a Berserk soundtrack and seeing 'Theme of Rape Horse'
Matt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xD1FAOJI84

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

It's such a goddamn shame they missed the XBOX 180 news by a hairs breadth and werent able to discuss it on the podcast on time.

What's this?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Veotax posted:

They're going to start selling a Kinectless SKU for $100 less next month.

That's... beautiful.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Well, it's normal, it's just that you've been looking at a grizzly train wreck for so long normal looks really great.

Oh no, not in the sense of "wow, I totally want an Xbone now," just that it's hilarious how hard they've had to back down.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie and Liam vie for the worst spot, generally speaking (not that either are bad). Liam causes some dumb arguments on the cast but Woolie regularly has to be bailed out in videos, often by Liam himself. Like, Liam's trolling is what keeps the Nuzlocke afloat.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

On the other hand, Woolie steadfastly defending his claim about muskets in World War 1 was the worst thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea it was purely a 'hey, godzilla nerds GET IT?!' thing, no random Motrha bullshit.

Guys it was so loving hype.

That awful MC and his family should have been cut, Cranston and Watanabe doing science poo poo would have been fine enough for the human framework story, but aside of MCfamily the human stuff was fine and god you guys when the monsters come out it's the coolest poo poo ever.