Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love these guys. Their playthrough of Beyond Two Souls has kept me from Gameflying it out of curiosity because there's no way me playing it can be as fun as hearing them yell about a baby coming out of a hobo lady all Attack on Titan style.

Also yea their podcast is shockingly good, I was worried without a visual "LOOK AT THIS STUPID poo poo" factor they'd not be as funny but they were smart enough to make the podcast just them hanging out as real life buddies chattin bout games and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

uh, what's going on here? what's this got to do with best friends?

Oh man, you'll never get into Predator Frat now, nerd!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

I was introduced to these guys through their Heavy Rain playthrough. Initially I thought these guys would just be 'lol whacky youtube stars' but they've surprised me thoroughly. They actually seem to be genuinely thoughtful when breaking down why or why not certain things in games work, and they have a great sense of humor and a ton of energy that is refreshing.

Their Two Souls assault has been the best I've seen. It's easy to make "FUCKIN DAVID CAGE" jokes but I like how Pat goes into poo poo like how because David has said 'game overs are a failure of the designer' he has zero tension in anything because the risk of failure is gone, and how the only things that give him any feeling of control are the poorly done martial arts poo poo. It's really nice to hear WHY David Cage is an idiot instead of just being reminded of that objective fact.

Also Attack On Titan Baby.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also if you're new to them, I just started rewatching their Last of Us video after hearing people jerk off about how it's so great yet again (ah game of the year season), and that's really worth watching over.

"What movie are you referencing?"

"Juno...and Oldboy! THE BEST COMBINATION!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Just gonna say they've just posted the first part of Yakuza 4 playthrough.

For those of you who don't know Yakuza is an amazing series of pseudo-GTA style (in the sense that it's an open world crime game at least) that is famous for being over the top in basically every way.

This is gonna be great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Top Gym Pumper posted:

It really is. :allears:

"And then he stole his own dad."

God I love Yakuza games.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rodyle posted:

I've only played Yakuza 3 and ended up setting it aside due to being busy. Does Yakuza 4 still have those weird photo op things where you get new moves which are invariably totally loving insane?

Yes and they're even more insane.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

SKULLGIRLS CREW AINT NUTHIN TO gently caress WIT'

Also we learn something amazing about Matt's Cap.

The yakuza 4 playthrough is coming along nicely, what I'm seeing from the game looks pretty amazing and very much something I'd like to play.

The Yakuza games are no joke one of my favorite series out there. Everything's over the top and great, and 4's especially good. Plus it has Super Chunk in it and you can do karaoke with her.

Don't buy Dead Souls though, gently caress that game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Speaking of, what a great christmas podcast. I love how they couldn't at all keep the holiday cheer together by the end.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

Even in Christmas, There's no such thing as 'cheer' when video games are involved.

Case in point.

I legit lost my poo poo when Woolie only just realized that his best Christmas memory stemmed from his mother's divorce/major move. Hearing it dawn on him was hilarious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Liam being adorably optimistic to the point of dumbassery is hilarious because it always starts off fair like 'hey you know give the game a shot we don't know how it'll shape up' and ends in poo poo like 'well maybe they'll totally remake the game at the last minute because some people on youtube say it's lame???'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You know why I love the Super Best Friends? They had a conversation on the 'censorship' in bravely default and even though two of them were saying they disagreed with it I didn't think any of them were assholes.

Like, Woolie an Liam both thought the changes weren't great and instead of just going "FREE SPEECH MEANS I GET FIFTEEN YEAR OLD TITTIES" they told actual stories about their experiences with art changing and made it clear that their main issue was the core concept rather than this specific case, and when Pat said he thought the changes actually improved the art and all they didn't act like dicks. It was, ya know, a conversation and was decent.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Silentman0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh61MHZj_u8

THE HYPEST MAILBAG ON YOUTUBE

They get some pretty amazing poo poo in the mail!

Liam gently trying to overcome the sparkles was so great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hope it was on purpose because glitter bombing is hilarious and doing it to some dude who isn't even anti-gay makes it even funnier.

THERE'S A ROGUE GLITTER BOMBER ON THE LOOSE!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

In today's video intro, Pat goes against his true personality by revealing that he actually is capable of loving his mom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTi7yu9LsuQ

That part in one of the brawlers (Dragon's Crown I think) when some fat goblin lady comes on screen and Matt goes "WOW PAT HOW'D YOUR MOM GET HERE" and there's this pause before he goes "She's always so nice to you" is legit one of the funniest things they've done.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

Holy MOLY I thought Yakuza was banana's enough and that's only the first 25% of the game?! and it get's more crazy from there with a whole new character! I gotta play this game asap.

Dude the last storyline is the craziest, but after this guy we get OFFICER GRAPPLES.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rodyle posted:

Why did someone send them eight pounds of cereal marshmallows? What are they even going to do with all that, add them to Cheerios?

Matt and Liam are gonna eat em all and have a big ol vomit party at Pat's place.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The podcast questions are a trap! They're how people do nice things!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm waiting for them to open a viper box, personally.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

I've been hearing about this here and there for a while now yet nobody points out the exact source or video or whatever it is they specifically said. people say it was a tweet, others say it was Matt and Woolie bashing her in one of their playthroughs, but I've never found the actual thing itself.

Literally the only time I remember her coming up is, commenting on another video by a woman talking about videogame issues, he said something like 'man I wish you got the funding Sarkeesian got'. I'm pretty sure I've seen most of their poo poo and all and don't remember her coming up as anything more than a 'yea I kinda disagree with some of her poo poo but it's hosed up that people act like such assholes about it'. Like, they make fun of poo poo like the Mighty Number 9 drama and all so they're hardly taking the internet idiots' sides often about this poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh god Matt and Pat are doing the Last of Us DLC and already back into the argument about the ending's morals. This is gonna be good.

"You know when we turn this recording off we're gonna have a huge fight, right? About scooping kid brains out?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it'd be a dick move if like, Pat bitched about getting a Persona thing, because he constantly talks about his big boner for Persona so you can see where someone would go 'what man I thought you liked this poo poo'.

They constantly say 'please we have no desire to own weapons, don't give us any' so yea when a dude sends them a sword (albeit a kinda cool one) they go 'drat dude we said don't do this thing'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the apology was sincere and poo poo if it was me I'd just have posted 'yea maybe you should stop sending the one thing besides vipers we literally tell you not to send in near every video if you don't want us to say it sucks to get that thing', so pretty much any apology is, to me, above and beyond what's due.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So everyone's favorite mail related youtube channel did something weird today and uploaded a video game thing. I had no idea Deception 4 was out, I gotta get me that after I get paid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Silentman0 posted:

I had no idea Trapt was a franchise. In fact, I forgot Trapt existed.

It's one of the best series. If you like Home Alone and murder you should buy it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'll shill for Trapt super hard. If you liked the "I'm gonna Set a Trap...for Kane" bit in Rustlemania and wish that you could set a trap that involves a boulder squishing him as he gets thrown into a bed of nails, you should get a Trapt game.

I'm not even joking one boss in one game is a big red fire dude who is named something like Kane.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

quakster posted:

Take a good step back and look at what you just posted.

It's actually real easy to get hosed by international shipping these days. I send a book to one of my friends in Germany and the postage cost me an arm and a leg, it's entirely possible to get screwed over by shipping costs even without sending a box of swords in TimTams the size and weight of a human body.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rodyle posted:

Oh no, not in the sense of "wow, I totally want an Xbone now," just that it's hilarious how hard they've had to back down.

But...but...NEVER back down!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
None of best friends are bad to me but Liam is probably my least favorite with his "games are too easy" poo poo about literally any change and his weird stubbornness about dumb things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah that's at least funny in a "Look at a dumb thing one of the SBF guys is saying" kind of way.

It was legitimately hilarious how dumb he was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Silentman0 posted:

Oh, see, I was confused because Jon was terrible and Danny is a million times better.

You have a correct view.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Depths posted:

In one scene theres a butterfly cage with a Mothra nametag on it

Yea it was purely a 'hey, godzilla nerds GET IT?!' thing, no random Motrha bullshit.

Guys it was so loving hype.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rodyle posted:

That awful MC and his family should have been cut, Cranston and Watanabe doing science poo poo would have been fine enough for the human framework story, but aside of MCfamily the human stuff was fine and god you guys when the monsters come out it's the coolest poo poo ever.

Yea it wasn't a perfect movie, they could trim some chunks and make it better but oh my god guys we have a super amazing awesome Godzilla movie again!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Pogs are barely a video game" ~ Pat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well I think the reason most of us like these guys is you wouldn't really call them 'let's players' in most of the way we'd think of it. I mean for one it's a team instead of one person, and even then most of the video is, say, Mat yelling at Pat to use the rocket launcher while Pat yells about how Ashley needs to stop wiggling so he can shoot her free because girls are probably watching. It's not just a dude going 'yea so this is the castle level, it's kinda hard...' then ten minutes of awkward silence as he clacks buttons.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

The non-machinima full playthroughs pretty much are let's plays by the standard definition. It's just that they, despite being popular (the hypest channel on youtube, even), don't fall into the usual crap most YouTube LPers do like pointless facecams et cetera.

Yea I wasn't trying to legitimately create some kinda definition for how they're different from a let's play as a concept, more for how they're different from most of their peers in the let's play/video game kinda things.

Basically the main difference I can think of is that pretty much them and Giant Bomb are the only dudes I'd watch play an entire JRPG without skipping an episode, because even in boring grindy things they're probably gonna be funny about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Just listened to the podcast Man, Liam never struck me as a hard line anti-drug guy, but I guess it kind of makes sine in retrospect.

His main point was that dumb "farmvile but with weeeeed" things are lazy and may be not worth holding as examples of evil censors.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He then goes on to say "Just don't make games about drugs because that's artistically void." That's not paraphrasing. Dude's got some weird issue on drugs. Apparently you can't have a thing about drugs or the people around them (unless it's good but then it's not actually about drugs). From the way he was talking the farmville bit seemed like the least important part of it.

I'm almost positive he was saying 'just' about drugs, or at the very least he meant to because yea 'farmville but with weeeed man' is artistically void, as is 99% of 'stoner art' bullshit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Laim is my 'least favorite' in the sense that literally if I had to rank the SBFP people I'd rank him last. I like a lot of stuff he's done, he has some pretty great deadpan moments that plays well off Pat and Matt's extreme stuff, but yea he has the most moments of the four that make me go 'jesus christ'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Roach Warehouse posted:

I'm watching the Resident Evil 4 playthrough currently, and Pat's descent from obsessively organising his inventory to 'everything out of place all the time' is funny to me every time it happens.

I like that it evolved into him doing it out of spite.