Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Dexie posted:

I'm assuming there was some kind of food source in the bag? Either way, it's loving weird, and now everyone else in that apartment complex is going to be wondering what the hell is up with the sudden ladybug infestation.

No, ladybugs hibernate through the winter. As long as you keep them somewhere cold they'll just sit there and not do anything. That's why you can just mail someone a bunch of ladybugs in a burlap sack in a box and not have it be a complete mess for the post office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well it's simple. Liam is not okay with drugs, he is okay with little anime girls who are actually of age but look really young because of the art style of the setting.

There's no joke there, it's just kind of hosed up some of Liam's opinions come off because of how much he loves to be contrary/play devil's advocate.

No, his argument was that they could also make changes to stuff that isn't objectively creepy and all the people playing the English version would just never know what the original vision was, so he likes it better when they just don't step on the slippery slope of censorship in the first place.

Of course that's bullshit because the act of translating something requires changing it from the original version since you need to either reword things to keep the meaning or keep the wording but lose the meaning in the engrish, and I'm honestly mad that someone who knows 2+ languages made that argument in the first place.

What I'm saying is, I like Liam and I still say gently caress Liam.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So basically stories most people are doing, reviews, a few 'hey check this small dev out', a lot of opinion pieces, and the occasional "HERE'S HOW GAMES ARE SUPES BIGOTED NOW" headline to get easy controversy with the manchildren.

HIGH QUALITY JOURNALISM.

You know what would be nice? If people stopped saying that every article about social issues in nerd hobbies is just clickbait. Maybe that way people will be original when they're being casually dismissive of major flaws in geek culture.

Anyway, on a subject that won't cause a stupid internet slapfight, it's good to hear that ConBravo was nuts in a good way and not in a "Pat snapped and punched a fan" way. I hope someone somewhere uploads the panels soon, because they sound like one hell of a time.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I was more talking about him doing stupid poo poo like going to a Heroes of the Storm event that was super clearly just a generic 'yep we're doing a MOBA' announcement and asking the random jackoff that was in charge of saying 'check these screenshots out, cool huh' about the sniper chick from Star Craft having too tight an outfit and when they went 'uh ok' turned it into a big thing. Like, you can actually do lovely clickbait articles about social issues, it happens.

You're still writing off a tactless question about an actual problem in geek culture as clickbait, which makes it impossible to have an actual conversation about the problem because half of the population just shoves people bringing it up into the clickbait pile and ignoring it, which is goddamn infuriating.

Anyway, since I'm mad enough about this to call you out over it but not mad enough about to have an extended argument about it in the Super Best Friends Play thread of all places, let's all just shut up and watch Matt, Woolie and Liam play as everyone's favorite Marvel vampire hunter.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

legasaurusrex posted:

I just discovered these guys recently and have been going through their videos- any recommendations for the longer series videos on some favorites to start? I actually just finished watching the Indigo Prophecy series they did because I had that game and played about 15 minutes of it, I was curious how the rest of the game was.

In addition to the earlier suggestions, I'd recommend the I Have No Mouth playthrough. It's not as hype as most of their series, but it's still two cool guys being very interested in a very interesting game.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Perfect Potato posted:

I'm pretty sure Pat has no idea how STR/DEX bonuses work at all. Otherwise I'm not sure why he'd be hyping up the mace one minute and then saying they're not using a str/dex weapon the next.

You remember during the Dragonrider fight when Pat told Woolie to always circle-strafe to the side with the enemy's shield so circle right here, but he meant the Dragonrider's right and not Woolie's right so Woolie spent the rest of the fight strafing the wrong way? Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is just another case of Pat talking dumb and saying that when he means "we don't have anything that scales heavily with Dex and won't get anything good for us long term that scales heavily with Dex". I mean, the mace doesn't scale that well with Dex judging by it's stats.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I am so glad that I don't know enough about Dark Souls 2 to be mad when Pat gets stuff wrong.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Cathair posted:

Which is, again, much like innumerable other video games during the prime of their popularity. What, is this some sort of 'people who like popular video games are all insufferable' kind of thing?

Well, that's partly true, I admit. But to try so hard to single out DS suggests some petty personal reasons on your part.

Every person whose Dark Souls videos were vaguely popular that I've seen has had a metric truckload of people come out of the woodwork to tell them how they were playing it wrong. Every single one. I don't think it's a stretch to say the Souls fanbase is more than a bit anal about things.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pretty great MK Fisticuffs.

"You're about to see some high level Mortal Kombat play."

"IS THERE ANY OTHER KIND?! ...I forgot my moves"

Honestly, mid-tier MK9 is more fun to watch than high level anyway. You're less likely to watch Kabal do his air-fireball for an entire round.

Also, the video isn't actually on their site right now, so just watch it on Youtube.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Tae posted:

Speaking of which, why is a spider doing a laser thing dumb but not a dragon thing which is Seathe's whole gimmick.

Because dragons have been spewing basically any element associated with their color since at least Dungeons & Dragons was written and Seathe was a weird skinless dragon with a massive boner for crystals, while the spider is just a giant spider that only has a connection with anything overtly magical when you find out that it ate Seathe's soul. If it had crystals or dragon-y bits or something to show that it had Seathe magic before it randomly vomited Seathe magic on you Pat would probably think it was less dumb.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

What about the time when they took a while to realize how to deal with Monsoon's gimmick?

Which is before the escape from Denver sequence, which is when TechnoSyndrome said that they started playing ahead off-camera before recording.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

But he didn't say escape from Denver.

Okay, then I just completely misread his original post. My mistake.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

HGH posted:

I'm downright confident they did this on Scrublords once. They must have, I can't be imagining things.

They played Double Dragon: The Cartoon: The Game for Scrublords. This is Double Dragon: The Movie: The Game.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Commissar Ken posted:

Thats why you gotta bury them in the backyard next to Billy and all those pies Woolie stole. ALSO who did the really great opening thing on the Shitstorm this year?

To quote the description of every Call of Cthulu video, it was made by Sven Stoffels whose Youtube channel is here.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Do you like SWERY 65? Do you like cool little adventure games that were sent out to die by Microsoft? If so, Matt, Pat and Liam have the playthrough for you!

(Seriously, I am so hyped that they're doing a D4 playthrough.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

You know, I'm surprised how good some of the designs in Escape From Bug Island ended up being. Don't get me wrong, it still seemed like a complete slog to actually play through. I just thought it'd become completely insufferable to watch by the end of it's week in the Shitstorm and it ended up being pretty fun. Probably because they ignored everything that wasn't a main objective.

Also, if you want to listen to the podcast about loving bugs that Pat randomly mentioned, you can find it right here. You know, if you really need that in your life.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've been catching up on TBF playthroughs that I haven't seen yet, so I've just finished watching Homecoming, shortly after watching Downpour. Moving straight on to Silent Hill 2 is going to be an interesting experience.

Just so you know, Homecoming desperately wants to be Silent Hill 2 and blatantly copies it's end-of-game twist. If you don't know what that twist is, you should probably wait until you can see the good version of that ending before watching the lovely version that has Pat talking about how it's a shameless copy of SH2 over it. Just thought I should warn you.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 11, 2015

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

goldblums eyes posted:

I wouldn't say he's trying way too hard. Like with him going through dialogue way too fast, he doesn't realize other people don't read as fast as he does. With sh2 I imagine he thinks that everyone's played sh2 already. Maybe?? Either way I don't think it's "try hard", moreso just lack of awareness? I have no idea though. I've been fine with it, but that's because I'm new to sh2 so what he's saying doesn't register as spoils.

Yeah, the worst I can say about Pat in the SH2 playthrough is that he's so focused on making it the best LP possible that he's not realizing that the best LP would require him and Matt to shut up for 90% of the game. Not even in a "Pat is trying too hard" way, just that SH2 is not suited to two people who know about Silent Hill constantly talking over it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dude, until relatively recently his main youtube channel that had all the LP stuff also had all the Retsupuraes they did. I just assumed if you followed them maybe you'd have caught a whiff of some shenanigans going down.

Actually they've always had the LPs on a separate channel from the retsupuraes, just because their RP channel always had too many strikes on it to upload videos over fifteen minutes.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is it just me or is the new episode of NMH extremely loud?

It didn't sound particularly loud to me, but I also don't remember how loud the other episodes were. It could go either way.

Also, I kind of hate the interpretation of the female bosses that Matt mentioned in the video because it just makes me feel really skeevy, but I also can't offer an alternate interpretation until we actually have another boss that's a lady so I don't spoil anything. It's annoying.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

TheRealestMatt posted:

It's a theory I've heard multiple times for years now, and some of the in-game dialog REALLY points towards it. I mean, one of the main game mechanics in NMH is jerking off a sword, and messages on Travis' answering machine really hammers home the fact that he's sexually inexperienced. That being said, this game is made in Japan, and their culture and views on sexuality are way different than ours. You don't have to approve of it, but with all the evidence, I think it's fairly clear. All of Suda's games have a high degree of sexuality in some form anyway.

That being said, Silent Hill 2 has alot of sexual allusions as well, and it seems from Pat's explanations, almost every enemy in the game is some sorta reflection of James' sexual frustrations/thoughts.

Edit: I honestly don't know what to say about the audio in the latest NMH part. I edited almost all the episodes in giant chunks, and I don't remember doing/trying anything different for the Shinobu episode. Sorry guys :(

Here's my main problem with it: you're making it sound like No More Heroes' story is about sex. It's not, it's about Travis being a manchild and his sexual immaturity is just part of his general immaturity. Sexual imagery is a big part of the game, but saying "these boss fights are about sex" just undersells the whole thing.

I don't think we're really even disagreeing on what the game's about. I just don't like how you're presenting it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Eternal Darkness felt like a complete package of going into a good game with sustained good commentary.

Alternatively, I really dug the Beyond Two Souls MST3K-level commentary, but I went right into that one before the Heavy Rain or Indigo Prophecy LPs, so I don't know how many other people in this thread would back me up when I say just go watch Beyond.

I'd say that Beyond can stand on it's own two feet, mostly because you get to watch Pat and Woolie start off actually excited for the game's concept and have their enthusiasm slowly crushed by David Cage. It helps if you know how bad Cage's storytelling can get going in, though.

I'll pretend this conversation never happened if you do.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Chrispurple posted:

I wonder how the release of the new Telltale Game of Thrones episode is going to fit into the video schedule? Not that there's some kind of ironclad set of rules in the first place. I was skeptical at first about playing each episode as it came out, but I'm really liking it now. It's more like a neat occasional side-series than a whole lp. It might help that I'm playing it as they come out as well, but it's not like that could affect anything right? Unless Matt and Woolie just wait until everything comes out to play the rest of it in which case ignore me because I'm counting all kinds of unborn chickens.

Well, No More Heroes should only have a part or two left. Episode 2 of Game of Thrones should be able to just go into that time slot. As for the later episodes, who knows, but as long as they keep doing some short LPs it shouldn't be too long before they can fit them in. It's the best they can do until Telltale starts announcing episodes more than a week before they come out.

Well, that or they could wait until they all come out to finish, but they already did episode one at release so ehhhh.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Does Friday Night Fisticuffs usually come out at a specific time? I'm about ready for my fix.

They put out videos at 3 PM and 9 PM EST. You got another 45 minutes or so until it should go up.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

A good poster posted:

The Order is Sony's Ryse, basically.

That metaphor works way too well.

Also, it's good to see the American Mortal Kombat swill finally getting it's due on SMS.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm fine with Pat/Woolie on Bloodborne but feel kinda bat for Matt, didn't he say he wanted to run it with Pat?

I like to think of it as less "Matt doesn't get to play Bloodborne for the channel" and more "Matt gets to not have Pat breath down his neck for a hundred hours as he desperately tries to play Bloodborne vicariously through him".

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, they didn't record the square one, why?!

The way I see it, they had two choices. Either they do videos for every E3 conference and have the channel be dominated by reaction videos for entirely too long, or they only do videos for the console manufacturers' conferences because that's the only way I can think of to cut things down without knowing ahead of time which ones would be dull and which ones would have giant announcements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

For anyone that could be interested, Giant Bomb posted an hour long interview with one of the designers of Shattered Memories. It's mostly about his new game, Her Story, but it does touch on Shattered Memories a few times. Nothing spoilery that I noticed, but there are some real insights into why the game is the way it is. Also, it's just a really interesting interview in general.