Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been listening to the super best friend cast back catalog starting from the beginning at work when I don't have a bombcast or idle thumbs to listen to, and I've recommended it to a bunch of folks

I'm sure this is the Patrick Klepek Sucks of SBFP but I really, really don't like Liam compared to Matt Pat and Woolie. It could be the really bad anime he likes and can't stop talking about ever (and of course he dislikes One Piece), or brings up poo poo like loving Rapelay in conversation(Pat's reaction to it might be one of my favorite moments so far though), isn't funny, and the topics he brings up are fairly dull. He also just doesn't have that enthusiasm in his voice the other three do whenever they speak. I haven't watched many SBFP videos in a long time so maybe he's better when playing a game, but he's kind of a drag in the podcast for me. Maybe he gets better, I'm still in the early episodes, but as of where I am in the back catalog he doesn't feel like a fit in the crew.

Rest of it is super good though and the enthusiasm of the crew is ridiculously infectious. I've gotten a lot of belly laughs from it so far, like classic bombcast episodes. Good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah this is mostly just based on listening to the podcast. Though I've been watching their Shut Up and Jam play through and it is pretty great so far, and Liam isn't super annoying in that.

I like Matt most as a sidekick to Pat. The classic duo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
After watching Smash at EVO, I'm okay with competitive Smash even if the players themselves are mostly weird and/or creepy, but it's pretty fun to watch!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Al-Saqr posted:

holy poo poo they're playing that Dreamcast berserk game I randomly bought and powered through (it's loving hard) completely unaware of the manga it was based on for years afterwards. I was completely horrified to find out the real nature of what Berserk actually was.

It's a cool and hard game though.

Is this some kind of goony "oh god something I liked turned out to be based on ANIME my life is over" weirdo reaction, or more because you decided to read the manga afterward and found out that Berserk is hosed up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
These are not mutually exclusive statements!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HGH posted:

As long as the guilty pleasures aren't too damning.
He likes Oreimo which is fairly damning

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Matt, I sent a message to Woolie about a series you guys should read because it's a hundred times more reality-breaking than Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann ever was, in under 13 chapters. I think it might've gotten buried in the thousands of messages you guys no doubt get all the time though. It's called Qualia the Purple and the first few chapters are misleading, but it starts to ramp up around chapter 3 and never stops getting more insane. Hope you like Schrödinger's Cat and quantum physics!

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Qualia-the-Purple/Ch-001--Episode-001?id=164690

Dr. Amazing in the ADTRW thread has been translating some of the remaining chapters himself.

I also am listening to the back catalog of SBFC and coincidentally just reached the episode where you guys discussed Ground Zeroes at length, and then someone(think it was Liam) mentioned his girlfriend talking about the audio log insanity as "it's war, poo poo happens", which is a gross excuse to fridge the female character(and everything that happens before it). I mention this because I followed up that episode with this week's Idle Thumbs episode, which had a fairly poignant email written in about the topic. Spoilers, obviously.

edit: attempted to fix timestamp but it doesn't seem to have worked, the relevant part is at 1h 25m 15s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLqs-G4TYTM&t=5055s

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 27, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

havenwaters posted:

Oh. It's that time again. The mailbag returns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvxjwY81V9I

Why don't they reopen the Mailbag with the caveat that items that are sent to them may not necessarily be kept by them and may be donated/thrown out at the start of each video? And also a "don't spend money on us if you're not very financially stable" clause, of course.

Giant Bomb has tons of poo poo sent to them and they openly state that stuff you send them probably won't be eaten/drank by them(if it's edible) and rarely do things get used by them if it's games and stuff.

I guess I don't get why people who run sites/groups like GB/SBFP get skeeved out by people sending them stuff. If the person had neat knick-knacks or rare games they would rather send than sell, why not let them? More than once I had debated on sending Metal Warriors for the SNES to Giant Bomb(before it inexplicably quadrupled in price on Ebay) but decided to keep it. I can understand the lack of space issue, at least, but in that video alone there was some pretty neat stuff they got, and the video itself was loving hilarious. If it was just Super Best Friends Open Boxes People Send Them and no video game stuff, I would still watch that, because it was entertaining as hell. Especially making GBS threads on Woolie for being a "gen-wunner" and not even recognizing a specific pokemon.

I know it takes up a bunch of time to open the stuff, but maybe have someone other than Woolie open the boxes since half the video length is taken up by his glacial box-opening pace? :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HGH posted:

Well the problem at the end was that they ran out of space. I'm sure GiantBomb have a studio and by association some empty room they could use for storage but I doubt that'd be possible in their already cramped apartment.

This is absolutely not the case, in fact they had a livestream specifically of them cleaning up the box mountain that had accumulated over the months and discovered that a soda or something someone had sent them burst open inside one of the half-opened boxes and gotten all moldy and gross. It was a fun livestream. :v:

If it overwhelmed absolutely everything then it's fine they shut it off, if only there was a way to moderate the flow of it a bit so that they weren't getting stuff nonstop. The mailbags are always fun because you never know what'll show up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ruggington posted:

It's all fun and games until woolie loses his hand to a High Frequency Blade

Box full of live Huntsman Spiders

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheRealestMatt posted:

But I think we will sorta bring the mailbag back in a semi capacity, it's an idea I've been kicking around for the last few months, and once the theme month for July is over, we may try to start it up.
Yesssssssssss

Do you have any "friends of the site" who would consider assisting in the opening/management of mailbag stuff?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
31 days of Shovel Knight

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If I had the cash, that ultimate Gurren Lagann box set would probably be the only ULTIMATE SUPER ULTRA COLLECTOR EDITION type thing I'd consider actually buying due to all of the exclusive stuff it has in it. The Nascent Era art and interview book especially is something I want so god drat badly. Gurren Lagann has easily some of the best/most outlandish mecha designs ever and I really want to see the evolution of them from concept to reality.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey Matt, how possible would it be to get the Zaibatsu to come to PAX East next year? I'm not sure what part of Quebec you're in since it's massive, but that seems like one of the few major gaming conventions you could easily make it to since Massachusetts is a hop skip and a jump away from the Canadian border, and close to the same time zone for you too.

PAX East is ridiculously fun, and everyone there is there to have a good time. It's absolutely exhausting, but man, is it a blast, and Boston is a great city if you get some time to do some sightseeing(I personally recommend the Museum of Science and Boston Aquarium as must-see places). I had bought some posters from the Supergiant folks and the Galax-Z guys and after hopping into a free-play room and playing some Smash Bros with some dudes who I never even asked the names of, accidentally left my poster tube behind in the free-play room. At the end of the day, I was in a panic trying to find it and when I ran in that room, a dude was using it as a footrest and said "I knew if I held onto this thing long enough, someone would come running up to me frantically looking for it." and handed it to me with a smile.

PAX East is full of cool people. I can only think of a few things to know beforehand, and that's: don't wait in line for hours to play a particular game because gently caress that; check out the indie megabooths; bring your own food because the stuff they have there is apocalyptically expensive(I find Subway is great for bringing to the show, 1-2 subs ought to last you the entire day); make sure you plan for panels ahead of time because some of them have huge waiting lines such as the Giant Bomb panel. I bet if you held a panel it'd require the largest theater they have there.

edit: if you guys ran a panel I think that gets you an exhibitor's badge, which I BELIEVE lets you skip lines and such to play anything you want without waiting, so there's that too. Also the guys with stores there often have craaaaaazy poo poo for sale. Mint in box copies of super rare games, huge amounts of fight stick custom stuff, all sorts of things.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ahahahahaha

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You have no idea how happy you've made me by using that corny-as-gently caress Fantastic Four song.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Weird that he does that while making Liam and Pat play Skullgirls while both freely admitted playing next to nothing of it.

Smells like Woolie's hypocrisy.

Hypocriwoolie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't mean to alarm you but there may be a corrupt official biasing your work!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, she's a shitbag, but also a product of her environment. Nobody is really innocent in it except maybe the brother who gets the brunt of her creepiness and, honestly, reacts realistically.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The manga gets even worse. I pretty much stopped reading it, it was funny/cringeworthy for a while but it's clear the author's started to run out of ideas.

Now I want someone on SBF who's watched Watamote to read Masturbation Master Kurosawa for a non-humorous look at a total shitbag character who actually realizes what a horrible person they are and does something about it.

Oh, and Matt, if you want to send Liam to this thread, I think he might find some good series to read. Hell, you might enjoy some, it's mostly non-uguu poo poo, such as I Am A Hero(which rules and has some of the best artwork in a manga ever, maybe a peg below Berserk), Nausicaa, Ressentiment, ONEPUNCH MAN, A Silent Voice, Fortress of the Apocalypse, Teppu, and dozens of others.

edit: read ONEPUNCH MAN, for reals, there's pretty much no other manga with animate-able artwork

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 15, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A Meat posted:

Watamote should have just abruptly ended with Tomoko getting professional help for her crippling social anxiety, the best thing it could happen pretty much at any point in the story without any problems.

I second basically all you've said, but that the first thing on that list after ONEPUNCH MAN should be Teppu, which is about Women's MMA and being a huge smug rear end in a top hat, and it's drawn really well too.
The list isn't really in order of preference, just whatever I thought of at the moment.

Nausicaa is far and away better than anything else on my list and was a huge inspiration for a lot of stuff that followed, Teppu is great but it doesn't really hold up against it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
But we love Pat :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol who reads Games.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's part of the reason gaming news sites are dying in a huge way while places such as Giant Bomb and hopefully the SBF site who focus half on personality and half on possible news(or almost entirely on personality really) and info are prospering. You can see this realization happening almost in real time with GameSpot, who have became kinda like DannyODwyerSpot.com because he's one of the only people on staff with more on-camera charisma than a plank of wood and thus creates the most popular site content and has seemingly become a figurehead for what they want to do in the future.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Giant Bomb is not big enough to be able to burn bridges willy-nilly yet, unfortunately.

At the rate they're growing though, that might change!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Everyone did that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Al-Saqr posted:

According to the conbravo video, Liam and Woolie have also just left their jobs to work for the Zaibatsu full time.

It's awesome to see those guys careers take off.

Oh poo poo! That is awesome!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forget, who does he prefer

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Least it ain't Yukiko

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Would it be possible for there to be a list of must-watch Super Best Friends stuff, similar to the Giant Bomb thread's video list? I've watched a fair number of SBF videos, sure, but there's wayyyy too many for me to watch on my schedule.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah sometimes I feel like Pat took lessons from Egoraptor because there are times he sounds just like him, enunciation and voice pitch change and all. Except he is better at it than Ego.

Some folks just don't like yelling. If you stopped going whole hog into things and letting your enthusiasm show in full force, frankly, I wouldn't watch/listen to you guys. I don't mean that as a slight or dumbing down of what you do, but your willingness to let the hype and true feelings take control is a big draw for a lot of people. It also allows the times when you guys are dead loving serious stand out that much more and be notable. When Pat does his calm, calculating voice, it is much more apparent than if he spoke that way all the time.

Also, I just listened to the "quietcast" you guys did a bit ago when you had to be quiet to not wake the neighbors, and it just sounded WEIRD with everyone chaining themselves and keeping the excitement in check/muted.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Liam sucks not because of anime but because of his insistence of playing devil's advocate for the most inane poo poo. And if he gets backed into a corner by the argument, he tends to go with "well that's my opinion" or similar copouts instead of admitting he might be wrong.

Also I will never forget how he unironically brought up Rapelay in conversation(mostly because of Pat's flabbergasted reaction).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm not going to be able to get a WiiU for a while, but I do eventually plan to and pick up W101 with it as one of the first purchases. At the same time, I want to watch this video, are there any good complete LPs of the game that folks could suggest so I can give one of those a watch before watching this SBF one?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Woolie will upgrade his pie stealing to wedding cake theft

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Phantom 2040 for the SNES, full playthrough with all possible endings(over 20 different ones).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The delayed payoff on the 7 Quests of the Hero bit made me have to pause the video because I was laughing too god drat hard

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He really should just read the manga at this point. Where did he says he's gotten to again?

If nothing else, the scanlations are pretty great/decent for chapters starting from Sabaody Archipelago on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chie > Naoto > Rise > Yukiko

Kanji >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Giant Bomb Endurance Run of Persona 4 is still one of the best pieces of content they've ever produced, despite making likely over half a year's length of content in total. If you've not watched it, you owe it to yourself to at least watch the non-battle/crafting stuff(even though that stuff has some of the best moments, like Ghoul. Who they kept skipping. And then wound up needing later on)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXW082c_e1w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's okay, not everyone can have good taste. I guess you just got to the Good Taste Depot too late CJacobs and they were all out of stock. Oh well!!