Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

Alternatively, the circuit is a really fast way to level stuff you own that happens to pop up at less than max.

Unfortunately if anything you want appears in circuit, that run (if using public matchmaking) will last at most a single round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I love how there's apparently a huge contingent of players who don't check what's available before starting the circuit.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

I love how there's apparently a huge contingent of players who don't check what's available before starting the circuit.

Have they fixed that display? It used to not update after Duviri spiral.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

The amount of time the average player spends selecting their loadout is ridiculous.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
You also need a few ranks in one of the intrinsics categories to have the preview show up from the star chart.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Yea the preview of frames/weapons for circuit is not unlocked by default, so they could just be new to the mode.

Also I kinda love doing pubby lich hunts, it's like a little boss rush mode and you get to see 3 other goofballs in addition to your own.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Soloing SP top-rank exterminate bounties in under 2 minutes, for 8 Voidplum Quills per run:

These new SP bounties are super time-efficient, but especially Zariman. That's like one day worth of standing cap for 3 minutes of work, and you can bank all the plumes to turn in.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 14, 2024

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

free hubcaps posted:

Yea the preview of frames/weapons for circuit is not unlocked by default, so they could just be new to the mode.

I'd conservatively guess it's a combination of people doing the absolute bare minimum Duviri (so no intrinsics), prioritizing the other upgrades instead of options to lessen the RNG impact, and the fact that the preview is done by hovering over previously non-interactive UI elements.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
It's been an hour and can't get past stage 2 of elite archmedean. Seen some of the most non elite builds in warframe. So bad, I had to break out zephyr.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm idly wondering if anyone knows of a good youtube channel for builds and stuff. Ideally, I'd love like 10-15 minute videos discussing general build theory on a specific frame or weapon, especially if they don't assume you have X mod or resource, or know obscure tricks.

The last time I clicked on a video that seemed promising the YouTuber was like "okay,to be good, you need to go do this 20 hour farm" and I never went back.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm idly wondering if anyone knows of a good youtube channel for builds and stuff. Ideally, I'd love like 10-15 minute videos discussing general build theory on a specific frame or weapon, especially if they don't assume you have X mod or resource, or know obscure tricks.

The last time I clicked on a video that seemed promising the YouTuber was like "okay,to be good, you need to go do this 20 hour farm" and I never went back.

MCgamerCZ. I have not seen a warframe youtube channel with a better content/bullshit ratio. For one thing, he is currently doing an encyclopedia project of every single weapon, giving each a 3 minute rundown with any special notable features, with usually a basic good and a spicy endgame(or as far as that weapon will reasonably go) build. There's also a large number of longer videos giving special attention to specific warframes or weapon builds. Some of them are... not ideal in terms of sheer damage but he explicitly doesn't care about level-cap gameplay and will sacrifice some performance for usability and general enjoyment.

Also, he takes time to explain some actually reasonably arcane "under the hood" game mechanics and mod interactions. For example, thanks to him I learned that the mod Shattering Impact does not reduce the current, level-modified armor of enemies per hit, it reduces the base armor. So if a unit at level 1 would have 5 armor, that same unit could be level 9999, and one hit from shattering impact would 100% strip it's armor.

And sometimes he just goes off the loving wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKpEkp7xZlQ

Rorac fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 15, 2024

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

If you're specifically looking for 10-15 minute videos then I'd recommend KnightmareFrame. I find him slightly annoying, but of a put on livestreamer/youtuber attitude, but most of his videos are 10-20 minutes with very clearly labeled chapters in the timestamp bar. So it's very easy to skip straight to the build or watch things in action. Most videos have multiple takes on whatever build is being shown off; here's some silly helminth stuff, here's synergistic guns and melee if you don't want to helminth, here's some arcanes or other more high end stuff to more optimize the base idea. That sort of thing. All pretty clearly explained and very easy to follow.

E: Granted he primarily does frame videos instead of weapon highlights. So that's not going to cover everything you might be looking for.

E2: you know what, this is maybe a bad recommendation. KnightmareFrame does all of that good explination stuff I mentioned but he's also largely talking about higher end builds with a mess of synergies. Then again mods are builds so maybe check him out anyway.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 15, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

temple posted:

It's been an hour and can't get past stage 2 of elite archmedean. Seen some of the most non elite builds in warframe. So bad, I had to break out zephyr.

Wasn't your imagination, I did both the last two weeks on first attempt, but failed Defense on this week until I realized you need 3 people seriously farming those glyphs to heal the defense objective or it's not possible to win due to the defense health drain penalty. The final Disruption part was a cakewalk but that one Defense penalty was really tough.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mailer posted:

Ask in clan chat to trade mods for the ones you need, as people always have some dangling around and a lot of them are finished with liches. Oull requiem mods make the whole thing less painful in general and you'll start building them up as you stab. This is something google pulled up for parazon ordering to save you watching a fifteen minute video full of waffle:

You now need a railjack (I think? No idea if someone else's ship can be used) for the final lich/sister encounter.

thanks this is nice and concise

ended up getting my kuva nukor with a 55% toxin roll last night, it's unfortunate that i found out that magnetic was apparently the meta choice. oh well.

weirdest thing though is that the final encounter didn't drain a use from my parazon mods. they're all still at 3 stars. idk why but i'll take it!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
If you don't like your element, you can fish for another lich using the appropriate frame then combine the two weapons. You'll get a higher % damage and can choose which element you want to keep.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

Agents are GO! posted:

There are no good warframe build channels. Kengineer can be good for beginner knowledge and Aznvasions for esoteric endgame knowledge, but their actual builds are iffy. Your best best is to ask in this thread for builds or the goon discord. Second best is checking overframe.gg for a build by ninjase or an effort post by someone who has spent a lot of time on a specific frame, but that can still miss sometimes.

Quality builds that aren't using max resources will be hard to find. Progression through the game is really uneven. There are no hard milestones or tools for predicting what resources a player will have when they start doing a specific type of content. You can easily make it past new war without farming any corrupted mods or you could fail to pick up primed continuity until after you have a full helminth. The total number of variables is too large to account for.

You're better off figuring out how to effectively downgrade maxed out builds based on what you have available. Swapping from umbral/drimed/archon mods to the base variants is usually 100% fine. If a build is stacking strength to hit a breakpoint and you don't have the right mods you might look at using madurai sling strength and sacrificing a flex spot for augur secrets. If it's stacking strength for damage it will probably work fine with regular intensify and no molt augmented. If it's relying on arcane energize, you can often make do with zenurik wellspring or dethcube's energy generator or slotting equilibrium into a flex slot.

It's useful to come up with guidelines for telling apart good builds from bad ones and to experiment and see what levels of sweatiness and jank you're willing to put up with. This can come down to personal preference, but here are some of the things I use to judge builds:
  • Steel charge is always bad. It's only a damage gain over corrosive projection while solo and the gain is so small that the first time you trigger an exploding barrel or your sentinel attacks an enemy it turns into a loss. Using it for the extra capacity is frequently the sign of a lazy and poorly thought out build.
  • Making one number go really high, like health on Inaros or duration on Gauss or Wisp is always a miss. There are better uses of the mod slots those builds are using even if it's just putting a parkour mod over gladiator resolve or augur message.
  • Level cap and endurance isn't real. Youtubers make videos for it because it's effective clickbait, but there is no reason to ever build for it or care about it as a normal player.
  • Running a fiber mod on a frame with less than 300 armor is bad. At lower armor levels you get very little value for the slot and it's better to run health conversion or adaptation to improve eHP.
  • Triple umbral is almost always bad. There are maybe 2 frames that can benefit from running a fiber mod that also care about the extra 22 strength.
  • Rolling guard and manifold bond + guardian on diriga are the best tools for keeping squishy frames alive. Any other type of shield gating is too much work.
  • 45 efficiency sucks, especially if it means you have to use an energy restore at the start of every mission to start using abilities.
  • Unranked combat discipline with arcane avenger isn't particularly fun due to the capacity loss. Fully ranked on frames that can heal is nice, though.
  • Nuke frames need high range. 265 is the bar I use, 235 is sometimes acceptable.
  • Roar, breach surge, dispensary, and pillage are lazy and usually suboptimal helminth options. I find it's better to try and add more functionality to a frame or improve quality of life.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
45 efficiency is good, it just assumes that you're using energize and primed flow (or energize equivalents like a rack of amber shards or equilibrium + a way to generate a shitload of health orbs)

it's less good than it used to be back when Blind Rage was the only way to get really big power strength numbers, and not every frame really cares about maximizing power strength, but that just makes blanket statements in general less accurate

e: other than that i co-sign all of the above

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 15, 2024

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

Leyzar Gaming is good for primary weapons.
Knightmareframe is good for builds BUT only builds of established frames. Any new frame with a new build from him is probably dumb.
AznInvasion is my new go-to guy.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I like Brozime's builds because he generally does a good job of effectively conveying "this is what you want if you have infinite resources to spend, these are the things you can drop out of it and still be operating at 95% effectiveness, where 100% is 'everything's dead and I'm immortal'."

But in general if you can answer the following questions with a build, be it a creator's or your own:
- How am I staying alive? Rolling Guard and some other form of invulnerability to alternate with (shield-gating, Harrow 4, both)? A 90% defense buff on the kit (Mirage's Eclipse, Gara's Splinter Storm, etc.) + Adaptation for 99% effective DR? Massive armor/hp/self-heal and invuln (the Inaros special)? More Overguard than god (Dante)? By being utterly undetectable (Ash)?
- How am I killing things? Am I a weapons platform who wants Duration for keeping my buffs up longer, Strength for the buffs themselves and Efficiency so I can keep them up 100% of the time? Am I a caster frame who probably wants range and strength at a minimum, and either efficiency or energy max (or, ye gods, both)? Sub-q: How annoying is my frame to play without cast speed from either archon shards or Natural Talent?
- What is my frame actually good at? You could probably make some sort of degenerate Rhino caster build with Iron Sharpnel explosions and stomps, but it's going to take 10x the steps as it would take you to just lean into having an amazing offensive steroid in Roar and good defenses from Iron Skin already. Not everyone is Gauss and is good at "playing the game of Warframe"

You're good.

Weapons are different and I just throw galvanized mods on then stack crit if it has high crit, stack status if it has high status and fire rate, call it a day. Or just go Torid/Laetum/Glaive Prime, again.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Weapon builds in particular are basically identical to one another 95% of the time. The remaining 5% are oddballs/special interactions or gimmicks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Wasn't your imagination, I did both the last two weeks on first attempt, but failed Defense on this week until I realized you need 3 people seriously farming those glyphs to heal the defense objective or it's not possible to win due to the defense health drain penalty. The final Disruption part was a cakewalk but that one Defense penalty was really tough.

I was barely able to keep the doodad alive on the first round being the only one on the team picking up glyphs, then died inscrutably while running to the next location. The Nidus on the team was shooting me with his tether but I don't see how that would have anything to do with it...

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm having a lot of trouble with the login / mission reward servers today, slightly annoying.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
in warframe there is almost always a caveat to any claim. for example, the claim that steel charge is always bad. that's true for 99% of cases, but it's usually best in slot for Ash because it boosts blade storm damage. optimizing warframes is where the game gets really weird because there's weird interactions, stat sticks, helminth double or triple dipping and more.

weapons tend to fall in one of three templates: pure status, pure crit or hybrid. you can generally take one template and apply it to a weapon of the same type and be 80% effective. some weapons differ slightly if they're slash focused, or potentially have weird gimmicks like the ferrox.

i generally recommend avoiding builds on overframe, the best way to learn is to see what weird gimmicks people do for XYZ frame to scale them up to give you an idea of what options you have available.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I agree that 45% efficiency isn't as much a big deal anymore with how many energy options we have now (finally). I consider fleeting expertise a more expensive penalty to mitigate on most frames.

Another thing I'd add would be to look at ability percentages on multiple builds rather than just what mods are used. There's several ways achieve similar stats, and many not great builds ignore meaningful thresholds in favor of EDGE or HUGE NUMBERS--slots that could possibly hold comfort mods.

As people have said, there's far fewer options on how to optimally build weapons--most look the same between crit/stat/hybrid. Warframes have more latitude. I like to play a warframe vanilla for awhile before I decide what I want to helminth on it, if at all. The biggest "skill check" in wf is knowledge.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
45% efficiency also only makes your abilities cost 1.45x more. As opposed to 75% efficiency which makes your abilities cost 4x less. I think when people see minimum efficiency they assume it will be as bad as max efficiency is good, and it's not as extreme as that at all.

In addition, Arcane Steadfast gives you (effectively) a multiplicative 60% efficiency. It technically has the most value on low efficiency builds, though I run it on pretty much everything.

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
I'd use Arcane Steadfast but I also don't wanna do Mirror Defense on Mars for like 8 hours

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I think it exposes a fatal flaw which giving people a choice in rewards means they will choose the best rewards, even if they can't complete the mission. I kept thinking "what are these loadouts" but it's the choices from the modifier. People are running terrible loadouts that will never complete the mission, hoping I will carry them. While I'm running an optimal build but getting suboptimal rewards.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Opinions warning: Do not trust builds that use Catalyzing Shields and/or Rolling Guard as their main staying alive tools on anything other than Dagath.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

qnqnx posted:

Opinions warning: Do not trust builds that use Catalyzing Shields and/or Rolling Guard as their main staying alive tools on anything other than Dagath.
Yeah honestly if I open a build and see Brief Respite x Catalyzing Shields I just close the tab, close my eyes, and slam in literally anything else.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I just throw in an aura forma and Primed Redirection or Umbral Vitality if I see Catalyzing Shields. Brief Respite is fine on like, Hildryn or Dagath, though.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Yeah honestly if I open a build and see Brief Respite x Catalyzing Shields I just close the tab, close my eyes, and slam in literally anything else.

I cannot believe that anyone actually uses this nonsense. Just extract, whatever you were doing isn't worth it

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
After coming back to this game and building a ton of stuff I missed in the last 6 years, I have totally depleted my Orokin cell stocks.

I need like 50 to fall into my lap out of the sky. Is the best option still an extended Draco or something?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lord Wexia posted:

After coming back to this game and building a ton of stuff I missed in the last 6 years, I have totally depleted my Orokin cell stocks.

I need like 50 to fall into my lap out of the sky. Is the best option still an extended Draco or something?

I have better luck with Lephantis. Draco is probably better if you go with a farming frame and drop rate boosters.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I've been getting a bug the past couple days, where on some missions when I go to operator, it instantly puts me back into Warframe. I thought it was annoying until I did a Zariman bounty, and this happened:

Turns out the Steel Path Void Angel Arena isn't poo poo when I can just bullet-jump over and punch it in the face with Kullervo.

Lord Wexia posted:

I got about 200 in one 90-minute solo mission while semi-AFK the whole time. It might have been a double-resource weekend but still will be fine if you just need 50 of them:

- Ash, stack a good amount of range

- Subsume Pull, and use the Greedy Pull augment

- I think I went to Steel Path Titan, not Draco. Piscinas technically should drop more being a Dark Sector, but it didn't

- Get Resource Booster, Drop Chance Booster, a Drop Chance Booster Blessing, and the Kavat. You can even run no primary/secondary to prevent the Kavat from rolling "Instant Reload", which makes drop boost roll more.

Find a wide area with good visibility, hold down E to melee nonstop, and bind a rapid fire key to spam Smoke Bomb, and a slower rapid fire to toss out a Pull every 3 seconds or so. The Pull will yoink all enemies, energy orbs, and Air Support Modules to you so you really don't have to do anything. No enemies can see you, so you'll never be attacked (though if an Acolyte spawns while you're invisible, it can see you for a few seconds until your next Smoke Bomb is cast, then it won't anymore.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

FZeroRacer posted:

in warframe there is almost always a caveat to any claim.

Everything I use violates, at minimum, one of the rules listed. You can caveat them all into place but we're way past the Go Corpro or Go Home stage of the game for hard rules on frame builds. As a disclaimer I'm also the weirdo who will never have A Main in any game so if something is only good for a subset of content then yay I get to use different stuff. Not having a specific frame/mod/arcane/whatever is also just a new goal to chase so I don't mind that.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I like Brozime's builds because he generally does a good job of effectively conveying "this is what you want if you have infinite resources to spend, these are the things you can drop out of it and still be operating at 95% effectiveness, where 100% is 'everything's dead and I'm immortal'."

Pretty much anything on youtube suffers from fighting the algorithm 24/7, not to mention having videos completely invalidated by buff/nerf cycles, but when I do see a video of his pop up it's at least fairly well done. Most of the time it's not the exact build I wind up using and SP kuva survival being the testbed couldn't possibly be less relevant to me, but I would imagine the explanation and actual demo would be useful to a lot of people.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Leyzargamingviews seems pretty chill. His builds lean towards newer player friendly with alternate “optimum” builds.

He explains the basics of how the weapons work (stuff like punch through, damage falloff, unique qualities, etc)

*my usual YouTube disclaimer. If he’s a milkshake duck, I have no idea.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
catalyzing shields + brief respite is a two mod solution that will solve your survivability issue on pretty much any frame provided you can pay attention and press an ability once every like 4-5 seconds, rolling guard further lets you be lazy even if you just spam roll all the time like me since that makes you invuln a good amount of the time.

for a decent chunk of frames primed redirection or umbral vitality isn't really going to be enough of an ehp boost to survive in missions that start in the upper end of SP. lavos for example having a reasonably high base hp and armor at 740/640 goes from ~2898 ehp to 11000 ehp with both umbral fiber and vitality on (15k with the full umbral set). if you've had around 15k+ overguard on you can see how fast that tends to drain in SP. you can always toss on additional shards and stuff but also that's more opportunity cost.

i've seen builds instead do stuff with arcane aegis + fast recharge + fass canticle to have shield gate up all the time but i've never done it myself and you're also sacrificing a bit more to get there.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

If the frame lacks survivability for SP without spamming brief respite, I simply do not use it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BMan posted:

If the frame lacks survivability for SP without spamming brief respite, I simply do not use it

I simply git gud (and git macros)

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Leyzargamingviews seems pretty chill. His builds lean towards newer player friendly with alternate “optimum” builds.

He also pretty much always shows the weapons all on the same level corrupted heavy gunners in Simulacrum, which gives a consistent comparison of how they perform.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

gnoma posted:

There are no good warframe build channels.

(Lots of good :words:)
[/list]

Thanks for breaking this stuff down!