Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

gnoma posted:

Overwolf was specifically granted permission by DE to grab the info it gets, which is why AlecaFrame has to use it.

i've heard this before but DE has also specifically said this:

quote:

As of more recently, we’re aware of recent conversations around Overwolf and their apps. The above also applies to those apps (and all other third-party software). We would like to make it clear that our involvement with Overwolf is simply that we’ve had conversations to ensure that Warframe’s EULA and ToS are not being breached in any way.

"the above" is "If you use external software in conjunction with Warframe, then you do so at your own risk."
from https://support.warframe.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030014351-Third-Party-Software-and-You

i'm not saying use or don't use overwolf but that specific part seems to be contradicted here?

I have seen wfinfo used by a squadmate and it's pretty neat to print that info out in chat for the whole squad but I've never felt the urge to run it myself. I prefer to sell whole sets which is easier than minmaxing every individual relic, but I know that's not for everyone.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
I mean the overall statement is pretty clear. Overwolf has had conversations with DE and DE has confirmed that they are not breaking any rules. At any point in the future Overwolf could change what it's doing and get you in trouble and DE is saying it's on you for taking that risk.

Overwolf is a big platform with tools for many different games and is incentivized not to get its users banned which is why they are reaching out to devs in the first place. I don't think there have been any cases of Warframe players getting banned for using Overwolf.

Also, Overwolf collects as much of your data as it can and sells it and serves you ads. And like 2 years ago it had an RCE exploit and in the distant past had ads that installed trojans. So yes it sucks and there are risks and downsides to using it like with any software. But AlecaFrame greatly improves multiple aspects of the game and if you block the ads and use general safe computing practices (don't click on weird links) you are unlikely to run into problems using it.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Psion posted:

I have seen wfinfo used by a squadmate and it's pretty neat to print that info out in chat for the whole squad but I've never felt the urge to run it myself. I prefer to sell whole sets which is easier than minmaxing every individual relic, but I know that's not for everyone.

I use the tool as much for keeping track of my primes as for the market prices. Very useful when you're doing forma runs and you don't remember if that random part is something you need or not.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I managed to F2P more plat than I can ever spend and I only used warframe.market so I think I'll stick with that. Better than being pimped out by Overwolf.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I wish there was a way to get a csv of my inventory so I could code it into a spreadsheet:pray:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Is efficiency broken in the arsenal? It's not showing the energy reduction

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

Overwolf is an Israeli startup and donates to the IDF, if any of you care about that.

https://twitter.com/TheOverwolf/status/1712129680210641313

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's loving weird how many random businesses do that

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Well poo poo. What were the alternatives that were suggested? wfinfo?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

God drat. Dante's incredible.
1 - I don't have tome mods so I just built it for status/damage. Hoo boy it does some status and damage.
2/3/4 - Very cool. Actually using some archon shards here for cast speed because he is ability spams: the frame, but everything is cool. The birds look great. The slashing hits things a mile away. Love it all.

I'm coming around on Onos now that I built it for some fire rate, and even though the fist stances do not ever feel good, there's something about Ruvox that just owns? I can't put my finger on it. But it's chill.

Overall, great patch, great frame, all good stuff so far (other than reading that apparently I should solo all these disruption-unlocks for Onos/Ruvox, because it's bugged and only counts progress if you're the host???).

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Overall, great patch, great frame, all good stuff so far (other than reading that apparently I should solo all these disruption-unlocks for Onos/Ruvox, because it's bugged and only counts progress if you're the host???).

I believe they fixed that because I got the onos done when I wasn't host

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I believe they fixed that because I got the onos done when I wasn't host

Oh thank god

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, I did both of them at once as not-the-host and it worked fine.

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

Well poo poo. What were the alternatives that were suggested? wfinfo?

I’ve used wfinfo before and it’s unfortunately pretty janky. It works by OCRing screenshots so it’s kinda slow and occasionally gets things wrong. The main feature of pricing relic rewards works fairly consistently but the other features are somewhat unreliable. Results may vary depending on resolution, video quality settings etc.

The reason the Overwolf thing works so well is that it is probably reading directly from the games memory, which is pretty concerning for a closed source application run and founded by veterans of a foreign military. I say probably because when asked about their methods they only offer cagey assurances that they’ve okayed everything with developers and aren’t breaking any rules. They are also all over social media sites ready to jump in with these assurances whenever the question is brought up.

It is my very strong recommendation that you do not use Overwolf for any purpose. I would treat it similar to malware.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I'm coming around on Onos now that I built it for some fire rate, and even though the fist stances do not ever feel good, there's something about Ruvox that just owns? I can't put my finger on it. But it's chill.

I like the onos' main form well enough, and fire rate definitely helps it. Even with pure puncture it still hits like a truck. The incarnon form is still really weird to the point that I'm wondering if it's bugged or has some weird punch through interaction or host interaction or if it's just a case of really bad visual feedback that it's doing anything (aside from the charged shot at the end which clearly works). Near as I can tell the cone portion seems to do more damage if you're hitting more targets, which makes it awful against single targets, but maybe it just has a wonky hitbox?

Roblox should've been slash for its transformation rather than puncture, and I think they even initially said that on the devstream. It would've been strong if they'd done that even with the awful fist stances. I hope someday they do a pass on stances again at least to remove the forced movement on neutral and hold forward attacks, it's fine to keep it on the fancier blocking ones (if they also buff those to ever be worth the trouble).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Semisomnum posted:

The reason the Overwolf thing works so well is that it is probably reading directly from the games memory, which is pretty concerning for a closed source application run and founded by veterans of a foreign military. I say probably because when asked about their methods they only offer cagey assurances that they’ve okayed everything with developers and aren’t breaking any rules. They are also all over social media sites ready to jump in with these assurances whenever the question is brought up.

AlecaFrame works in a very similar fashion to WFInfo (OCR on the Warframe window) for relic cracking, but it queries the API for the inventory management features. If it were reading directly from memory people would be getting banned left and right because that's how cheat programs typically do their thing and is a very clear TOS violation.

I didn't know Overwolf had ties to the IDF, but that's plenty of reason on its own not to use it.

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

Helter Skelter posted:

AlecaFrame works in a very similar fashion to WFInfo (OCR on the Warframe window) for relic cracking, but it queries the API for the inventory management features. If it were reading directly from memory people would be getting banned left and right because that's how cheat programs typically do their thing and is a very clear TOS violation.

I didn't know Overwolf had ties to the IDF, but that's plenty of reason on its own not to use it.

There are many projects across other games that technically violate TOS through memory access or packet inspection and just perpetually exist in a sort of precarious grey area of non enforcement.

I suppose there’s a chance they’ve reverse engineered the mobile app API instead but it feels unlikely they’ve gone through the trouble of coming up with tailored solutions like that for each game they support rather than just using a more generally applicable approach. In any case, unauthorized API access likely would be a violation of TOS as well.

The way they sprung up seemingly overnight and started buying up game utilities and services to force their app on the users and their unwillingness to reveal their methods is more than enough reason to treat their software as malicious in my book, but I won’t insist that everyone has to draw their line in the same place as mine.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Petition to rename the Onos to the Onoes

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Well. Mastery 25 test bricked for the day, because I hopped into the provided Archwing, flew to a platform, flew to the next platform, and...clipped through the very low ceiling, and got stuck in a falling loop until the timer ran out?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

What is that man doing to his Onos?!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The Onos really came together for me once I modded for some Fire Rate and then went uhh
II - Fire rate
III - Reload speed
IV - Headshots build Incarnon charge faster
V - Crit/Crit Dmg buff on enemies hit

And now it just blows stuff up, in a regular fashion. It's not the Laetum's "lol that sure was a Void Angel back there, for half a second" or a Kuva Nukor's "RIP that room" but it's at least totally fine.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

:siren: Umbra Forma @ Tenshin :siren:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

temple posted:

:siren: Umbra Forma @ Tenshin :siren:

gently caress yeah

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Have they said how the new mode will work this week? I know they said we'll get a one time boost of 5 points but does that mean we get 10 total this week, or get back to 5 if we spend them before the patch?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Have they said how the new mode will work this week? I know they said we'll get a one time boost of 5 points but does that mean we get 10 total this week, or get back to 5 if we spend them before the patch?

We'll get 10 total. They'll add 5 pulses to everyone when the patch drops.

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1388517-deep-archimedea-game-mode-coming-next-week/

quote:

As an additional reminder, Deep Archimedea requires 2 Netracell Search Pulses in order to play. With that in mind, we wanted to reassure you that we will be adding a one-time bonus of 5 Netracell Search Pulses with the Deep Archimedea Hotfix next week, which will last until the following weekly reset (Monday, April 8th @ 0:00 UTC). This should ensure everyone who meets the requirements can attempt Deep Archimedea, even if the weekly five Netracells have been completed!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

https://warframe.fandom.com/ is 56k friendly

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I really wish they'd move to a less lovely wiki site already, fandom is such a poo poo service.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The pivot to video phase with the autoplaying videos (thanks noscript / umatrix) that had some poor intern rattling off poorly understood pages and making about one largish error every ten words was mildly funny at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fandom buys out every less lovely game wiki, leaving them as the only game in town.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Notably only the less lovely ones, that's how fextralife is still active.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The warframe wiki has such a massive amount of excellent information but yea Fandom makes it as annoying as loving possible for users. At least adblock helps.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
The Onos really needs another visual pass on the Incarnon form. The Murmur gets pretty FX heavy, and I can't tell if the weapon is *doing* anything or not. The charged shot doesn't seem to have any visuals at all. You fill the circle and the enemy loses a bunch of HP. Give me a tracer round or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not difficult to get the numbers on it up, but onos just feels bad to use.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
page 3854 reminder to add 'anti' before fandom to greatly improve the experience
https://warframe.antifandom.com/

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Some good twitch drops this week, a seriglass shard and a random tome mod

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

fandom buys out every less lovely game wiki, leaving them as the only game in town.

wiki.gg seems to be sticking around but it’s only got a few games for the moment and there’s a much higher barrier to entry than fandom. You’d probably have to either convince DE or the current wiki maintainers to initiate a migration.

edit: checked on their discord and the idea of migrating to wiki.gg has been proposed and rejected because it would "would take forever given the amount of scripts" they use. so don't expect them to ditch fandom, I guess.

Semisomnum fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 1, 2024

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If you're running ublock you can slap this into your filters:

code:
fandom.com#.global-navigation
fandom.com##.is-visible.fandom-sticky-header
fandom.com##.wikia-bar-anon.wikia-bar
fandom.com##.WikiaRail.right-rail-wrapper
fandom.com##.page__right-rail
fandom.com##.mcf-wrapper
fandom.com##.wds-global-footer
fandom.com##.instant-suggestion
fandom.com##.page-side-tools
fandom.com##.fandom-community-header__community-name-wrapper
fandom.com##.fandom-community-header > .fandom-community-header__local-navigation > .extra-large-navigation.wds-tabs
fandom.com##.fandom-community-header__background
fandom.com##.ad-slot-placeholder
Should make fandom functional

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The railjack mission they tacked on to the end of the lich process is real weird. Just a space boat in the middle of nowhere with 4 ornery dudes on it waiting to get slaughtered assembly line style.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I don't think I saw anyone else mention this yet, but if you go to https://www.warframe.com/anniversary and scroll down a bit, there's a computer monitor you can type in. If you enter happynewyear you get a glyph and a color pallette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

I don't think I saw anyone else mention this yet, but if you go to https://www.warframe.com/anniversary and scroll down a bit, there's a computer monitor you can type in. If you enter happynewyear you get a glyph and a color pallette.

Ty for this, grabbed it immediately