Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
After telling friends and family to shut up about this game for a couple of years I finally had the vacation boredom to try it. It's fun, but I feel like the early game should be moving faster. I cleared a bunch of stuff on Earth and unlocked Venus but I was level 1 and everything wants 3+. So I ground for a few hours and got to MR2 after figuring out I should cheese easy leveling from credit weapons. It feels like the game hit a grindy speedbump much faster than it should. Like Everquest fast.

Should I be doing something other than grinding the one level-appropriate defense mission while swapping guns around until I hit MR3-4 or so? Then push through the starmap until the next roadblock and repeat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Enemy level and your gear level/MR aren't related in any way.

Vegastar posted:

Those levels on the missions aren't actually related to your MR at all. They're just the levels of the enemies you'll find in that mission, which is entirely self-referential and is meant to give you a feel for the difficulty.
:ughh:

Much thanks for that. Blew through Earth and Venus fast, farmed the three blueprints for Rhino, and am moving on to Mercury. I was a little miffed that I blew 15k on the stupid Boltor blueprint because I didn't know it was free from the Venus boss, but I guess at least I'll have it a day earlier.

If I wind up sticking with the game I'll look at joining up to the overflow clan or something.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Avulsion posted:

You're doing it in the wrong order: If you join the clan you're more likely to wind up sticking with the game.

Oh yeah, smart guy? I applied just to spite you. A literal application of spite. :black101:

(hopefully the overflow clan was the right one... i assumed the overflow meant the main clan was full)

A more measured response is that I hate getting freebie stuff and then being the rear end in a top hat who takes off after six weeks. Thankfully this game seems pretty awesome and the Fortuna intro won a place next to the Borderlands 1/2 intros in my heart, so welp. Also, having hoverboards in the game helped.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Someone joined a Lith fissure group, stood on top of the defense coffin and tanked my framerate by throwing a rave. I'm doing ostensibly very low level stuff but every fissure or random join I get features people with ridiculous amounts of bling who twitch an eye and half the map instantly dies. During one defense run I popped up on a rope to take potshots at long range because a guy stood on the coffin and threw out a massive green wall that cooked anything within 100 feet of it. It's like :catdrugs:: The Game over here and it owns.

Queries:

There's no Akgoon chatter but alliance is constant. I assume this is combined Goon/Akgoon and where I go to beg for free poo poo?

In general should I be doing the four mods->random mod or just scrap the piles of dupes for endo whenever I need some?

Hek should pop tonight and Rhino should pop on Friday, and that's the extent of the newbie stuff I've seen in guides. Anything left that I should hit early to make things easier/more profitable/etc or have I reached the "shut up and go make weird poo poo" part?

Forma seem important but every time there's a selection at the end of fissures people pick (seemingly) random gun parts blueprints. Is this because you flog them for plat?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Atomos at MR 5 is very solid, and the Ignis Wraith at MR 9 (ask for someone to hook you up with a blueprint -- the acquisition method for it is a little weird but there are lots of folks with spares to hand out for free) is one of the best weapons in the game.

That's one of the guns that looked awesome (because flamethrower) but the wiki made it sound like the event was over and done with. I'll definitely steal one off any willing participants.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Vargs posted:

Make sure you've figured out how syndicates work and represent one on all of your frames. The earlier you do this the better. I suggest against Steel Meridian. They are the most sympathetic faction and have a lot of good poo poo, which means EVERYONE goes with them. You're better off picking something else and getting Meridian stuff from others.

Thanks for the reminder, I'll set those up asap. According to the wiki it's just a matter of choosing which group of three you want to be friends with then trading all the stuff from the opposed factions via clan, yeah? There's much slower 4/5 clans at rank 5 strats but that sounds like a lot of work when mods/guns can be freely traded.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

trinity prime is very good for new players. she is vaulted, the regular version is a giant pain to get nowadays, and she also innately solves two problems new players have- healing hp and lack of energy.

I grabbed her for the free MR and cape, but (as a very very new player) I would absolutely rather have a non-healbot frame. The vaulted thing tipped me into wanting it because it'd be nice to have a healbot role option when groups actually are a thing, but ~85% of my time I'm solo and even when grouped it seems like I'm virtually the only one using a starter frame so I just leech loot from the constant explosions. It's not that I don't see the value in the frame but the problems it solves were never an early game problem for me. :shrug:

Then again my progress is apparently weird because people are talking about being MR2-3 in Jupiter and I'm ready to do the MR5 trial and just getting to Jupiter.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Echophonic posted:

I don't think I'd describe Trinity as a healbot. You're more like an the nigh-invulnerable reason the team's still alive.

I probably should have said "support" in this context. At least on the Bless build it seems more about the buffing. My real point was that, aside from the dumb power-the-thing-with-your-shields mission I'm blocked on, my problems as a new player have all been about killing power and in particular AoE killing power. Survival/healing/etc just hasn't been a thing even as Excaliboring.

The bolded bit is probably the only part that I genuinely don't like about the game so far. I can't just say "throw me in a random extraction/survival/whatever mission with other people" . I join and hope maybe someone else is doing the mission. Easy on fissures, and the very early Earth stuff, but everything else has been solo where supporting a group to push higher on endless modes isn't a thing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

e: oh ok amazon prime household members don't get access to twitch prime, but it still charged me for a month of amazon prime and yet still tells me i'm not eligible. drat, this game is fleecing me of microtransactions for literally nothing already.

I thought I was being really slick and hooked my warframe account to a throwaway twitch account and linked to my wife's amazon account for the prime trial. I fleeced DE of a free frame! It was going great until I mentioned what I did and was told she had Prime anyway so there wasn't really a reason to go to all that effort. :downs:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Souplesse posted:

Bind Crouch to a thumb button, bind Roll to a specific button, make your Sprint/Roll key Sprint-only.

I bound crouch to a thumb on my mouse because it was required, but what does the Sprint/Roll separation get you? I haven't seemed to have any issues between the two so I'd rather learn a new control scheme then get screwed later.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

New Player Trip Report:

"Ok, I'm good for a while. Good weapons and an extra frame for grinding"
"Oh hey I have so much money! Time to boost mods and build poo poo!"
"Oh no! I have no money and all my stuff is maxed out!"
Repeat

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

used my only 2 axi c4s (rad+exceptional) and got two chroma prime systems back to back

I don't know who you are and I've never met you, but I hate* you.

* Hate may not be real. Poster may be a drunk and annoyed he doesn't have new frames to play with for a few days. Void in Hawaii.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Please send all prime systems to MailerAU. He desperately needs them for... reasons.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I leveled up Trinity Prime yesterday, because why not. In case anyone is wondering, here is the Trinity experience:

AW YEAH! Free healing and energy up in here ya'll! Just mash your abilities as hard as you can! :pcgaming:
Guys?
Hello?
Please come over here for the free healing and energy. I'm right on top of the objective and hard to miss.
Someone please come over here and validate my existence. :(
Ok, whatever. I'll come res you when you die again while I'm doing my run around the entire area at the end of every wave to pick up all the poo poo on the ground in random places. :negative:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hey guys, thanks to (apparently not a goon in the forum-owning sense) CreoleMagick I now have some prime goat on the cooker. I'm so happy, it's my first prime and it's gonna be the best thing and...

What in the actual gently caress?!?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Yeeees time to build the prime goat! It's all coming together!

"You need a higher level of mastery" :fuckoff:

Worst game ever 0/10.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

nerdz posted:

that is exactly why setting excessively specific goals is a bad thing in this game

getting sidetracked and discovering stuff that's way better than what you wanted along the way is the better part of the game

What if my goal is to get all the things? :v:

I know people like approaching games completely blind but my brain isn't wired that way. Knowledge of the system enhances my enjoyment of it. Even though it spoiled a pretty good reveal, having knowledge that there was depth far beyond craft frame->craft weapon->repeat locked me into this game more than the plot did. Oberon Prime is in the oven so he's officially old news even before I have the frame. It's all about Chroma Prime now because I haven't completed it yet. :shepface:

There's also the thing where I'm running with goons and completely useless, so I kinda want to git gud (read: git gear) and stop getting carried so hard. Look upon my one kill in index and feel sorrow.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The only impression I get from the plat costs is they're set by a random number generator. Octavia and Akbolto are the same price. On the other side, Prime Access is cheaper than just platinum (albeit, without a coupon) on its own. I can buy the rare part from a current Prime on the market for the same as rushing some lovely gun. If you want a color palette it's 75 but you can potato and double forma something for 60. My initial statement when I saw the prices was that it was massive whaling, but I guess they don't put any thought into it. Construction time (and the rush cost) feels like an idea they had that never really worked out but it generates a little bit of income so meh.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

sometimes you can't get a group together. sometimes you just want to solo stuff at your own pace. the change is good.

As someone who plays late at night and doesn't have the mods/frames for the stuff people are usually doing I appreciate it when there's a solo option. I am also super down for group vault runs because hour after hour of bullet jumping through the same tileset is annoying.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Ordis come pick me up from my location on the plains!"
"Right away Operator!"

My first (and only, so far... need better weapons) bounty ended with Lotus telling me to extract. No floating indicator, nothing on minimap. If it didn't just autoextract eventually I'd still be wandering the plains to this day desperately trying to find a place to escape.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Malkof posted:

As someone who's done just about every bullshit grind you can in this game, Equinox is not that bad because there's no gatekeeping on it. Sure it took me 28 runs but you do three or four day, know the layouts pretty well and knocking out in 3 minutes.

That's pretty good considering you get one part a run and only 20% of runs end without the boss bugging out. :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ElegantFugue posted:

Triple damage, actually. You just get hurt a lot there, it's how that last branch works.

Is it a magic modifier on the player or do mobs literally do triple damage so it affects Octavia's mallet. Asking for a friend...

Mailer fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 16, 2019

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Given that my love of dubstepbot means I'm about to embark on 48 hours of solid ODS farming, I have a weapons question.

Currently I burn infested down with Atomos (modded for Gas) until the Ancient Healers show up, then Vectis Prime (also modded for Gas) punches them a few times. I generally don't wind up swapping back to the Atomos because there's always 2-3 healers around.

I've got Ignis Wraith popping shortly and was wondering if I should be modding it for maximum gas status or cranking up crit? This is purely for the goal of killing infested, and assuming it'd perform better at said goal than the Vectis.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Awesome! posted:

new twitch prime thing: 50 plat + 7 day affinity and resource boosters. not super exciting but useful. i have a bunch of poo poo to level and need to farm like 70k alloy plates before i can make a cat.

I was about to crack the wallet because I needed exactly this. Everything is good today!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ignis Wraith is a pro tier forma choice. I don't yet have all the dualstat status mods (or munitions) but I want to build a corrosive/blast monstrosity. Sure, it already destroys everything for free but I want it to burn more.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

If I have a rifle riven, but its (insane) requirement is to shoot things with a bow... does this mean it's going to be a bow riven? It would suit my early luck at the game to get a bow one for my freebie riven.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Bring out Ivara

I hate spy missions, which is the only way to get Ivara, who I only want for spy missions. :v:

If there's Dargyns outside of the plains (the only place I've seen them) then that's not a big deal I guess. I've got some bows I can (eventually) kill stuff with.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rivens and arcanes seem to be the only random, lovely, if-we-make-it-take-forever-thats-good-game-design thing in the game. I mean on one hand it's poo poo but on the other hand it's not like vanilla Diablo 3 where I *need* double rank 3 arcane energize and impossibly rare rivens to actually play.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

you can easily get a truckload of plat just trading with other players

I see this sentiment echoed a lot and I'm beginning to think everyone has much better luck with relics than I do. The things people will actually buy (ie, not a Braton Prime Receiver) are so infrequent, and usually what I want to begin with, that spending the massive amount of time to get that gold rare selling for 20-40 plat doesn't seem worth it. Doubly so when it means I have to keep up on market trends.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You make plat by doing things nobody else wants to do, nobody else knows about, or which are gated by factors like daily reputation caps or gear requirements.

If people talking about how easy it is to make plat are people on top of the game talking about selling locked content to people who aren't then that's fair enough if a bit misleading. I have no issues with people playing the market (though it's not what I want to do) or paying real money for plat. It was just that the sentiment echoed that you could make thousands of plat a day with this one weird tip discovered by a housewife! never jived with what I saw in-game. I feel guilty making someone stop playing and go to the dojo to get me an Ignis Wraith bp when I found out it's like 4p on the market.

Also if I can get goon discounts on my purchases then I'm happy to be the one paying real cash to keep you all rolling in platinum. :v:

Edit: Also, yeah, arcanes. Those are one of the few things I actively hate about this game and definitely feel exploitative.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 21, 2019

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Gitro posted:

You need exactly 0 arcanes to make good builds though

Could the same be said for Primed Continuity and Flow, not to mention the other primed mods? This isn't a sarcastic question. I have very few actual complaints about the game and arcanes energizes/primed mods are at the top of the list because the time/money to get them is terrible.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I picked up, based on my half-assed estimate, about half the YOU NEED THIS corrupted mods. I really should try to get groups together because it's a horrid process trying to find the dumb door solo sometimes and then getting a 50/50 shot at opening it. Having a sweet amp would let me also carry the damage key but that's locked behind way more grinding. I'm missing several rare mods as well, though for the most part that hasn't come up in builds I've seen - it's mainly Fleeting Expertise that I see missing.

Good news on not having to worry about the primed stuff. Once I finish the five on the Ignis I've got 14 more forma saved up that will go into Octavia/Nezha. Hopefully they're good in sorties and then the rivens will flow. Need to find more carry groups for index.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

also i'm maybe 40-50 vault runs in an still haven't gotten Transient Fortitude and theres a lot of trash in that drop table, so trying to get a very specific thing from it can definitely wear you down.

You should do vault runs with me.

*dangles his Transient Fortitude*

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I have a big post in my post history about ways to make plat starting out

Just for any other new people, the post in question. I didn't know that about sorties and it's something I'll get into. I'd argue that Smeeta and max Syndicate rep are not things I'd assume of a new player, and the prices will fluctuate based on when you got into the game, but good info in general.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The assumption I've read is that Equinox is the next Prime Access happening sometime in March. Is there any pattern that would predict what the next unvaulting pack would be?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

i guess i'm just kinda overwhelmed at the number of Things to do rn

Welcome to my world. I'm only slightly ahead of you. Got multiple factions to farm rep for, a k-drive and archwing launcher to create, all the eidolons to farm, tons of prime stuff to farm, frames to build... it's grinding all the way down.

Gitro posted:

(and also I could shoot my cool guns while skateboarding)

I saw a dev interview, presumably from around the time of the Fortuna reveal, and he stated that they didn't do it because if they let people shoot guns while going 100mph then no one would ever get off the boards. I can't imagine the weird tuning and design required for that sort of engagement speed.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I mean, you can shoot guns on an archwing. If you can actually control well enough to hit anything then you're That Guy who they keep putting archwing stuff in the game for.

Unrelated - I've been loving the Ignis but wanted to look at other primary options since kitguns are out of my reach and my Pyrana Prime is MR locked. I've been fighting forever to get a Rubico Prime bp and kind of assumed the other top tier guns would be locked behind pain. They're all in the clan dojo. I already have several of them built. This game makes literally no sense.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Oh sweet, the Pyra Prime syandana was released and literally nothing else.

On the topic of Best Girl Octavia - what's the build? Duration > Range > Power > Efficiency or Duration > Power > Range > Efficiency?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

njsykora posted:

Efficiency as well you can ignore since she regens energy whenever she uses an ability so you'll rarely have an issue.

I just looked this up (it's sneakily hidden on a separate tab on the wiki) and transference counts as an ability for this. No wonder I seemed to have so much energy regen. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

If you don't buy the next Nidus tennogen then I don't know what tennogen holds for you. :colbert:

I also may/may not have had my eye on the dumb miku skin for Octavia.