Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

I read the first post, but I'm still a little unclear about mods. Should I be hoarding certain mods for weapons down the road? Can you overwrite a mod and if so does that mean I should just fill my slots with whatever I've picked up so far?

I started with Excalibur and decided I don't want a character so focused on melee, is the Vauban frame the first post suggests more of a ranged character?

I see hints of the usual newbie misconceptions that happen because this game is so bad at explaining itself, so here's some bullet points:
  • Mods are not permanently attached to equipment, and not destroyed when removed.
  • You can power up a mod in the mods list (separate from the upgrade screen) by selecting it, clicking "fusion", and then selecting other mods to fuse to it (duplicates or fusion cores work best).
  • Excalibur's Slash Dash does not depend on your melee weapon at all.
  • Long range/sniping does not work, fighting is at mid-to-close range 99% of the time.
And something fun to try as Excalibur: Super Jump and then Slash Dash to fly across huge gaps most people will have to go around, especially once you've maxed out both powers (which isn't too hard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

a glorious hole posted:

For anyone complaining about the whole moving forward / hard aiming of the melee weapons - in options there's a setting for something like melee in camera direction - disable this and it becomes a lot more bearable. Might be worth throwing in the OP.

Do they seriously not have melee unlocked from camera by default on PS4? I play with a pad on PC and that setting is the only way melee is even usable.

Also I don't know how they use the PS4 touchpad, but a good setup for pads on PC is:
  • Sprint and crouch on L1 and R1
  • Powers 1-4 on d-pad directions (whatever order makes sense to you)
  • Melee on square, Use on R3 (reverse is better for Glaive/Kestrel though)
  • Block on L3 (like you ever use it)

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

How the hell do I aim slash dash? I couldn't hit a loving thing yesterday no matter what I tried.

It goes roughly where you're aiming. It hits in a radius around Excalibur that gets bigger as you power up Slash Dash, and is also effected by power range mods (Stretch and Overextended help, Narrow Minded hurts).

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

They gave the Jaw Sword a base 50% proc chance. Is that the highest in the game? Jaw Sword is still a piece of poo poo, but atleast it might be a fun to use piece of poo poo now.

From 11.0.3 patch notes: "Jaw sword Proc chance lowered from 50% to 10%."

Back to not caring about longswords at all.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

MisterOblivious posted:

Oh, and Dual Zorens. Gotta have Dual Zorens if you wanna go fast. The reach is a bit low so Slash Dash isn't as "wide" but...you can jump around at super-speed. Slot them for Fury.

Your choice of melee weapon has absolutely no effect on Slash Dash. The radius is determined entirely by the level of the Slash Dash mod itself and the power range mods you have slotted.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

Formas are amazing. They let you add extra polarities to your gear.

Note that you have to have the gear at level 30 first, and adding the Forma will drop its level all the way back down. Do it if you really like a weapon/frame and don't mind releveling it.

The other major use for Forma is as materials for building clan research weapons.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

You can scan the Stalker for the codex. 20 scans for the gold star.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

So with damage 2.0, is Mire a decent weapon? Turns out my character just has a Scindo and Furax and I'm not too hot on either, was thinking about getting a Mire or a dual heat sword set.

Nope. There's nothing special about Mire anymore, despite what the description says. It's just another longsword now.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Guess that makes my gorgon a collector's item too! Did they give a reason for pulling that one? It seems sufficiently grineer-y.

Mostly because the Soma exists.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Actually probably going to do Amphis since I've already got the pattern and the Zorens don't look all that good. Either way I get to be a unique snowflake because I never see those weapons being used.

If you're playing on PS4 Amphis might be kinda fun for now, but U11 currently has removed all the gimmicks of melee weapons like the Amphis. Until they get around to fixing it, Galatine and Zorens (and maybe Orthos Prime?) are basically the only things worth using for anything except mastery fodder.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Crowbear posted:

2) Is there some trick to farming Survival missions? We got a group together to try and get some mods out of E Gate yesterday and we consistently ran out of life support at ~15 minutes, even though we were having no trouble with the enemies there. Is there something we're missing?

You need enough enemies to spawn to keep the flow of dropped life support going, which means gaming the spawn system. It's complicated, but one seemingly effective tactic is to find a nice big room with a lot of doors and try to keep yourself positioned so that you're nearby, but not quite "camping" those doors.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Yaos posted:

If you've not done so yet buy the Braton for 15,000 credits, it's way better than the starting weapon and will let you easily make your way through the first few planets. Once I bought that gun I was able to make it through Earth.

During the infested invasion I kept getting teamed up with people that could melt the infested in a second. How can I be as cool as they are?

Ignis and/or Ember.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Male Man posted:

The Bolter was a recommended weapon back when its base damage ignored armor. I have first-hand knowledge of how it fares now, but I wouldn't be surprised if its damage didn't get tuned upward to compensate.

In the new damage system, weapons that specialize in one type of damage may be good for high-level stuff, but for newbies mixed damage seems like a better bet. (The exception being Slash vs. Infested, which is a good idea at all levels.) The Boltor specializes in Puncture, and does less total damage than the Braton. Also, the old problems with it still apply (inaccurate, slow projectiles).

I don't think it's a weapon for newbies anymore, if it ever was in the first place.

TinfoilHate posted:

What IS a good weapon progression for Primary (and Secondary, I guess)? I'm sitting at Rank 3 currently, and I'm wondering exactly what I should try and buy/build next.

For primary, I'd say Strun, Latron, or maybe Burston. None of these fills the same role as the Braton, so be prepared to change the way you play. The more interesting low-mastery weapons are secondaries, Ballistica, Hikou (I'm iffy on recommending Kunai now), Vasto(s), Bronco(s), Viper(s), even Aklato can be a fun change. If you can get a group to help you through some Void missions, it might be worthwhile to try to get a Prime weapon, as they all seem to have the same mastery requirements as their normal versions.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Fire rate mods make the Ballistica's charge-up time a lot more reasonable, but if you don't have any of those yet I guess it may not be the best choice.

I'm kinda biased towards gimmick guns, but maybe that's because I've already unlocked most of the map and have a lot of mods and don't really feel the need to be going for optimal DPS all the time. If you want pure effectiveness, Ballistica may not be the best choice, but I think it's fun.

Also worth noting that the gimmick on the burst fire is that it recoils horizontally instead of vertically.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

So what mods should I be using on my Paris aside from Thunderbolt? I've got it to level 8ish now and am getting to the point where I'm able to actually start doing mods on it.

Does fire rate increase draw speed?

Yes, and reload speed decreases the time between shots, which can be useful if you want to rapid-fire uncharged arrows to cause more explosions.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Kortel posted:

Quick question: What missions types drop Ember and/or Trinity parts? Cannot seem to find it on the wiki.

Bosses. Vay Hek for Trinity, Sargas Ruk for Ember, both as end-of-mission rewards.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Male Man posted:

Anti Moas are a new Moa type that appears on the Jupiter gas planet tileset. I don't know what their weapon is, because they all immediately died when I shot at them.

They shoot bouncy lasers that explode into a small knockdown shockwave after a few bounces. I want this weapon so much.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

NmareBfly posted:

Darvo seems to be offering a pretty decent sale for 21 more hours today in the in-game store - 110 plat for both types of 7 day booster, both types of potato, a forma, and a warframe and weapon slot. I'm just pointing it out because it seems to hit all the 'reasonable ways to spend money' boxes at a further 50% off. Any particular reason not to pull the trigger?

Boosters aren't really worth it, and buying the rest individually costs less than the pack.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Sundowner posted:

A light soft-lock or better/quicker switching of the direction of the attacks would be really helpful for console players. I'm not a fan of autoaim on guns or any kind of projectile weapon but when it comes to melee it's actually probably more beneficial to the player, just because of how 3rd person cameras and games tend to work.

This exists on PC now. If you play with a pad, turn off "Align Attacks to Camera" and turn on the other two melee options, which do melee auto-targeting and make the camera follow the direction you attack. Melee is finally fun, even if it's still poo poo for damage.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

Currently leveling an Obex, I'm having a shitload of fun with it, almost considering supercharging it because it's just so fun and if nothing else, it would probably be more unique than a Galatine or Zoren or etcetera. I'm currently considering Fury, Melee Prowess, Pressure Point, and Blast damage; are there any other mods I should consider to make them better/suck less?

The Obex finisher attack is great, and with blast damage you might be seeing it more often, so consider Finishing Touch.

Obex is kind of an oddity because a bunch of build types seem viable on it. You can go for extremely rapid normal attacks and boost your crit rate to make lots of yellow numbers, or do the same with elements to try to inflict statuses, or slot Reach and Finishing Touch and jump around knocking everyone down and pummeling them, or make a build to one-shot MOAs with the magnetic-type charge attack, or just crank the damage and try to showboat with the wall attack, etc.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Fruit Chewy posted:

As a new player who just looked up what 'zorencoptering' is, is there a good reason I shouldn't craft some zorens just for giggles?

Do it.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

CODChimera posted:

^Thank you good sir.

Speaking of Alerts, has the Affinity Aura appeared yet? Also I really wish the Aura slot didn't have a specific polarity because it makes it hard to try out different ones.

No, it and a few other auras were only released by accident, before they were sure of the stats. They were obtainable for a short time through transmutation, but for now there are very few if any in circulation.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

The faction damage mods have the same bonus as the physical damage mods, but it applies to base damage. Use them instead.

Male Man posted:

They didn't exist pre-U11.

AP was an element, and so AP mods didn't increase base damage. DE seems to be continuing this logic even though the problem it solved no longer exists.

sleeptalker fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 11, 2013

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Also, planning on building up a melee-centric Valkyr that will probably suck, but I've got tons of melee mods from Survival, so what the hell? Does anybody know if auto-parry procs things like the melee knockdown or damage reflection while blocking mods?

Reflection and Parry do work with Reflex Guard. Valkyr is a bad frame to melee with aside from her ult, you want something with more shields.

Edit: Reflex Guard does not activate during Valkyr's ult.

sleeptalker fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 11, 2013

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

At first I thought they were trying to nerf Ignis against Infested, but then I saw the 75% bonus for radiation damage. Slap a Stormbringer on and continue to burn down mutants at your leisure.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

triplexpac posted:

So I'm playing this game super casually, just going through a match or two every few days.

I finally got enough to buy the Braton. What should I aim to do next?

Keep digging your way through the map, mostly. You might replace the starting pistol with Aklato, which is almost a straight upgrade, or a Viper. A lot of the others require Neurodes and/or Orokin Cells to build, which you probably don't have yet. You have more options for melee weapons; Kogake has the fun kick-and-punch moveset, Dual Heat Swords have high charge attack damage, and Kestrel is pretty wacky. There's others, but those are the most fun ones you can build early on.

You can start picking up the parts for Rhino, the tank frame, from the Venus boss, but it may be a while before you can get the resources to build it, unless you can get someone to bring you to the levels where they're available.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Rubicon posted:

I had a mission, which started solo, and some voice started talking about vengeance and being my death. Then a tenno looking thing appeared and killed me. Is that the Stalker?

Yes.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Shoot the legs so it falls down, then shoot the unshielded torso. Run behind one of the pillars when you hear the missiles launch.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Bruc posted:

Man, I was all excited that I would be able to xfer my Pc character to PS4 today now that 11.0 is out, and then they release 11.1 on PC so it s till isn't in sync?. I really want to play this on PS4 since my friends that never tried it on PC are playing it there now, you would think the character copy thing would be a bit of a priority for them to get up and running.

U11 for PS4 was stuck in Sony's certification process for much longer than expected. Hopefully Sony will get better about this. Also, we're on 11.3 now.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

It's still fairly inaccurate, but they've made the recoil a lot better. Since Infested are weak to impact with damage 2.1, you can stick a Shred on it and mow down hordes of them.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Aw, I really liked the new minimap look.

The only problem with it was red enemy dots blending in on the edges of hostile rooms. It was so much clearer otherwise though, I'll miss it.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Feenix posted:

Anyone know why my Sentinel disappeared mid-match? Was that just a glitch? (I also couldn't swing my sword...)

Sentinels can take damage and die (particularly from explosions), and there's a longtime glitch where getting knocked down sometimes disables melee for a few minutes.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

JackMackerel posted:

I was kinda hoping the Paladin frame was an upgrade of the Stalker from darkSector.

I was hoping for the other Warframe-like that appears in darkSector, but apparently Nyx' helmet is already based on that. It would be cool if Nyx were anything like Nemesis; useless melee weapon boost ability, but a super shield power and maybe something involving throwing normal melee weapons.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Male Man posted:

It has a worse resistance/weakness spread because the status effect is so good. Radiation's the same way.

Radiation's status effect really isn't that good. Confused enemies still generally target you if you hurt them, and coincidentally you're hurting them when you're putting the effect on them. For them to even start attacking other enemies, you have to run away as soon as the effect starts so that they lose interest in you, and usually by the time they're effected they've already taken enough damage to not last very long against other enemies. The best it can do for you in most cases is divert a little bit of the other enemies' attention for a few seconds until the effected enemy dies.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Pokeylope posted:

Has anyone got the Djinn? It looks like it could be fun, but I'm wondering how effective it is. Right now I'm using a carrier and loving it.

Djinn's weapon (Stinger) is probably second best of the Sentinel weapons, good for when you're running a shotgun and don't want to compromise mods with Sweeper. I haven't really tried Djinn itself, too busy leveling up all the other Sentinels who have secondary precepts that are useful or at least don't get you killed.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

The weird thing about the Penta is it seems to do equal damage to everything in its blast radius. Ogris and Thunderbolt explosions both have falloff, but something right at the edge of a Penta blast takes as much damage as something in the center.

This and the weird bouncing (and the lag problems mentioned) make it pretty dangerous to use, but it's still the best weapon.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

The worst part of the game right now is the new user experience, which irritated the Eurogamer guy to no end. All they really need to do is to swap tilesets and have the newer players fight in all the newer tilesets (Void, Derelict, Tatooine, Jupiter, Hoth).

The tutorial mission starts off in a Void survival 'dream'. You start your missions fighting in the outer planets and you slowly unlock the inner Solar System, ie the lovely tilesets. 4/10 jumps to 7/10 instantly.

It's ironically the least important part of the game to fix because the active players who are spending cash are the ones you have to entertain.

That and stop with stupid poo poo like starting new players with some of the worst and most boring weapons in the game.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This says they take extra damage from slash.

They've been changing it a lot lately. For a while, Infested were neutral to slash and weak to impact. I'm glad they decided to re-add most melee weapons' one possible niche.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

They're working their way through the placeholder bosses (new Ruk, Golem's gone, new Vay Hek coming), it's not too hard to avoid getting hit by the Stalker's attacks if you stay mobile, and pre-U11 the only weapon without an armor ignoring damage type that was really viable against high level enemies was the Soma. Meanwhile the weakness/resistance table has changed 4 times recently, there's a bunch of new level tiles appearing in the invasion missions (and sometimes normal levels), they're releasing at least one new weapon a week, and for the first time (as far as I know) a new frame is being released in a non-major update. Warframe has problems, but a slow development pace is not one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

It seems like the original idea of the Cicero Crisis event was probably for players to first get a basic antitoxin in one or two runs, and then keep getting enough on each run to keep building those as well as enough rare plants to occasionally build the other antitoxins. This would've worked out fine if players accrued points from each antitoxin defense run.

Instead, since only your best run counts, there's literally no reward in building anything but the better antitoxins. The result is players just grinding the level for the rare plants, doing a single defense run, and calling it quits.

Somehow, DE managed to take what would be a semi-tedious grind event and make it even more tedious and grindy.