Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
So. Pizza.

Thinking of getting a cast iron griddle, pre-heating on burners, and then stretching out a rectangular dough on top to char the bottom. Then putting under the broiler to melt and crisp the top.

The down side: rectangular pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

There's a Pizza thread around with more info than you could possibly want. I use the back of my skillet as a pizza stone and it works great. Just chuck your cooking surface in the oven on max temp and use a cookie sheet (or peel if you're fancy) to insert and remove the pizza once it's hot.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

ascendance posted:

The Thomas Keller recipe is a slow poach - the lobster is soaked in a lower temp butter so it just soaks in all that butter like a sponge.

You can basically save any cooking oil. I believe Alton Brown describes a rig for separating and filtering oils after frying, so you can reuse it.

I'm going to try this... sounds amazing... But see i use live lobster do i boil them 1st to kill it or just whack it over the head. Don't think its nice to use lower temp butter to cook them lol sounds cruel.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bifurcate they head.

http://www.cooking-lobster.com/cooking-lobster/lobster-killing.html

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

shankerz posted:

I'm going to try this... sounds amazing... But see i use live lobster do i boil them 1st to kill it or just whack it over the head. Don't think its nice to use lower temp butter to cook them lol sounds cruel.
The Thomas Keller recipe involves steeping the lobster, which means pouring boiling water and vinegar on the lobster, shucking, then poaching in butter.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ascendance posted:

So. Pizza.

Thinking of getting a cast iron griddle, pre-heating on burners, and then stretching out a rectangular dough on top to char the bottom. Then putting under the broiler to melt and crisp the top.

The down side: rectangular pizza.

For you:

Safety Dance posted:

Butter in a skillet. Medium heat. Wilt ya some spinach. Meanwhile, chop garlic.

Reserve spinach. Sautee garlic.

Scrape all the butter and garlic into a bowl. Open up a thing of fakey-fake pizza crust[0] and spread it over the skillet. Put the buttergarlic and spinach in there.

Cheese. Pepperoni.

More cheese, more pepperoni, fold the extra crust over the top, and apply more cheese.

Bake it in a 425 degree oven for 9 minutes, or a hair more if there's a Cycle Asylum post you want to finish writing.

I probably should have gone longer, maybe at a lower temp. The top crust was still a little raw.

[0] I want to make my own crust one of these days. At 6:00, my SO said she wanted some cast iron skillet pizza, and we were walking to the grocery store anyway, so we just bought a tube of pre-made Jewel-Osco brand dough.

The important part is that you get the skillet hot while you assemble the pizza to crisp the dough a bit.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
Made my pizza on the griddle. The griddle was nice and hot, because it was new, and I wanted to season it.

It turned out looking very nice, but it was thick crust. I should have rolled it out so I could have gotten a nice, thin crust.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Safety Dance posted:

For you:

The important part is that you get the skillet hot while you assemble the pizza to crisp the dough a bit.

FYI, done this a few times and it gets rave reviews every time... Wish I had the stuff to make it right now, actually.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Could it take a little tomato sauce or will that make it soggy?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Groggy morning. Time for something almost but not quite entirely unlike crêpes.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
So, I had my family over for brunch Christmas morning per usual. My dish is always from scratch biscuits and sausage gravy. I accepted a glad offering of help cleaning up, then had a dinner at the in-laws that night and worked all day yesterday.

This morning, I woke up to find my cast iron pan sitting on the counter thoroughly scrubbed, with a silvery / red bottom... :| sometimes "help" costs more than it's worth.

Have my afternoon planned for me tomorrow.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My cast iron pans never leaves my sight without a re-usable plastic tag I made up being re-applied that says "SUSPECT'S CAST IRON. DO NOT WASH WITHOUT INSTRUCTION. KEEP DRY." And then fierce little skulls glaring at you menacingly. I take it off when I cook. It has saved my seasoning twice now from overzealous scrubbing.

I need to get metal ones stamped, then I can leave them on all the time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

spankmeister posted:

Could it take a little tomato sauce or will that make it soggy?

Totally. Go nuts, home skillet.

Suspect Bucket posted:

My cast iron pans never leaves my sight without a re-usable plastic tag I made up being re-applied that says "SUSPECT'S CAST IRON. DO NOT WASH WITHOUT INSTRUCTION. KEEP DRY." And then fierce little skulls glaring at you menacingly. I take it off when I cook. It has saved my seasoning twice now from overzealous scrubbing.

I need to get metal ones stamped, then I can leave them on all the time.

Just get that engraved into the handle. Fill it with some high temperature paint to make it noticeable.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

Just get that engraved into the handle. Fill it with some high temperature paint to make it noticeable.

Better still, tattoo or brand a similar message onto every person who enters your home.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
First use of my Dutch oven and the roast had like four of those absorbent pads on the bottom, well somehow I only removed three and tossed it in the hot pan. A good lesson in not to be stupid. Luckily I noticed immediately and it came off pretty easy. The Dutch oven is rough as a Cobb compared to my old skillet.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

babys first cast iron skillet. What should I make first (I'm a pretty competent cook)?

Also, the pan says its pre-seasoned but is this the whole story?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
If it's a Lodge, then yes it's pre-seasoned with whatever method they use, no it's not the greatest but it works well enough. Just cook with it regularly and you'll be fine. The bonus for me with the pre-seasoning was that it coats the whole thing, so I didn't have to bother seasoning the handle or the underside of the skillet which are the parts that wouldn't get seasoned through regular use.

For a first dish: if you've got the cash, stick a filet mignon in that thing; if you're poor like me, do a pork loin. Either way, utilize the best trait cast iron skillets possess: going straight from stovetop to oven. It feels so loving good.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Quick care question: I have a veteran cast iron that I left unused for about 6 months. It has no major buildup and is fairly clean, but being in storage for so long I wanna clean it. What is the approved "tough clean" for a cast iron?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Gaj posted:

Quick care question: I have a veteran cast iron that I left unused for about 6 months. It has no major buildup and is fairly clean, but being in storage for so long I wanna clean it. What is the approved "tough clean" for a cast iron?

Throw in a bunch of Kosher Salt, then push that around as an abrasive agent.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gaj posted:

Wash it with soap and water. Soap won't hurt the seasoning, I promise.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bought my mom an enameled cast iron dutch oven for Christmas.

"It's too heavy. Take it back."

:doh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bob Morales posted:

Bought my mom an enameled cast iron dutch oven for Christmas.

"It's too heavy. Take it back."

:doh:

I got my parents' big Lodge cast iron pan, that they probably used about once before realizing you can't put it in the dishwasher.

For Xmas I also got a weird little Mrs. Fields cast iron pan thing that came with a cookie recipe and a cookie mix. You're supposed to make the cookie with it I guess, I've just been using it to make grilled cheese sandwiches.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

gently caress Teflon, I have an 8" skillet and want a feta omelette:

gently caress plating, as well :effort:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I still suck at making eggs in cast iron :negative:

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Butch Cassidy posted:

gently caress Teflon, I have an 8" skillet and want a feta omelette:

gently caress plating, as well :effort:

Very nice.. I have a dedicated CI griddle that I use for omelettes, will never use anything else, perfect every single time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The thing about cooking eggs in cast iron is using a medium-low temp. High temp = stick to pan.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I prefer to just use a poo poo-ton of bacon grease so the egg is floating in fat and essentially deep frying with no chance of sticking.

Granted, this will shorten your lifespan by 10-15 years when consumed regularly.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

The Midniter posted:

I prefer to just use a poo poo-ton of bacon grease so the egg is floating in fat and essentially deep frying with no chance of sticking.

Granted, this will shorten improve your lifespan by 10-15 years when consumed regularly.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

If it's a Lodge, then yes it's pre-seasoned with whatever method they use, no it's not the greatest but it works well enough. Just cook with it regularly and you'll be fine. The bonus for me with the pre-seasoning was that it coats the whole thing, so I didn't have to bother seasoning the handle or the underside of the skillet which are the parts that wouldn't get seasoned through regular use.

What possible reason would you have for wanting to season the underside or the handle?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

drgitlin posted:

What possible reason would you have for wanting to season the underside or the handle?

Because rust is bad.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Iron Crowned posted:

I got my parents' big Lodge cast iron pan, that they probably used about once before realizing you can't put it in the dishwasher.

My wife was given a nearly complete set of late 1800's Johnson Brothers China that belonged to her great great grandmother because everyone else her grandmother asked said "No thanks" because it wasn't dishwasher and microwave safe.

"I don't want 100+ year old china because I can't chuck it into the dish washer after I microwave my burrito on it."
\
:byodame:

God bless the lazy and/or stupid.

E: By nearly complete I mean it has goddamn soup tureens, two of them! WITH LIDS! (Nearly because it lacks some bowls and tea cups;I hope to find replacements eventually.)

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 29, 2014

The Baker
Dec 4, 2013
Just used a cast iron Dutch oven for the first time today, for a stew. I noticed I needed a lot less heat in the oven than I normally need, I'd usually ( depending on the stew] use about 150c to 160c but this made my stew boil with the Dutch oven, don't worry I totally noticed in time.
What temp's do you guy's use, I ended up using just 100c. I can see using this is going to take a bit of getting used to.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just had this come in today as a Christmas present to myself. Cashed in a $50 Amazon card to get it for around $35 after tax, so I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm planning to try and make some chili this week with it. I am a little disappointed that Lodge's enamel cookware is made in China while everything else is made in the USA. I usually don't care, mainly because it's hard to find anything not made in China, but when I can get something made in the USA pretty easily I go with it. I was a little sad to see "Made in China" on the box, especially when all their catalogs and such boast about being made in America. I went back to the Amazon page, and sure enough it's there; everything but their enamel cookware is made in the USA.

Still, it's an awesome piece of cookware and I'm stoked about using it. My first chili is (ashamedly) going to be from a mix (got it in a set for Christmas), but after that it'll all be from scratch. :getin:

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

QuarkMartial posted:

Just had this come in today as a Christmas present to myself. Cashed in a $50 Amazon card to get it for around $35 after tax, so I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm planning to try and make some chili this week with it. I am a little disappointed that Lodge's enamel cookware is made in China while everything else is made in the USA. I usually don't care, mainly because it's hard to find anything not made in China, but when I can get something made in the USA pretty easily I go with it. I was a little sad to see "Made in China" on the box, especially when all their catalogs and such boast about being made in America. I went back to the Amazon page, and sure enough it's there; everything but their enamel cookware is made in the USA.

Still, it's an awesome piece of cookware and I'm stoked about using it. My first chili is (ashamedly) going to be from a mix (got it in a set for Christmas), but after that it'll all be from scratch. :getin:
Lodge is good, I had one of those ovens at one point. If you're ever looking to expand or get more, I'd check out Descoware. They were made in the 60's in Belgium before they got bought out by Le Creuset/Cousances. The pieces now go for very reasonable prices:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Descoware-4-Qt-French-Oven-Cocotte-Casserole-Pot-Flame-Orange-/311229363982?pt=Cookware&hash=item4876b7370e

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

QuarkMartial posted:

I was a little sad to see "Made in China" on the box

Still, it's an awesome piece of cookware and I'm stoked about using it.

So it sounds like China's manufacturing sector can also make good cast iron products.

I have a made in China Lodge Enamelled Dutch Oven here and it's been flawless since the day I got it and I'd forgotten all about it or any of my cast iron's national origin.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I don't really care a whole bunch, honestly. I just like to support our country (or even local people) when I can. Lodge makes great stuff, I already have two skillets by them that I use all the time and I expect that this dutch oven is going to be great. I'm actually going to christen it with some black eyed peas sometime during the day (they're soaking now).

Main thing is that it's a super pretty blue color and looks awesome sitting on my stove :3:

Adrenalist
Jul 8, 2009
I just got a cast iron skillet as a Christmas gift. How the hell do I season it? I live in an apartment building with hyper-sensitive smoke alarms. What should I do to make sure they don't go off when I'm seasoning it?

e: I know the typical methods of seasoning cast iron, I'm looking for any tips on keeping the smoke at a manageable level. I'll work on the smoke alarm, though the ones in the units above/below me are just as sensitive as my own.

Adrenalist fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 2, 2015

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The cast iron skillet is the best pan ever. There is nothing it can't do....almost.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If they're removable smoke detectors (they're probably not if it's an apartment) I'd just pull them down and keep them in a closet or bedroom until the smoke clears out. Don't forget to put em back up because that would be a pretty stupid way to die.

And now get ready for a million people telling you to cook bacon and a few telling you to oil it and toss it in the oven. I'll let them cover the specifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Inspector 34 posted:

And now get ready for a million people telling you to cook bacon and a few telling you to oil it and toss it in the oven. I'll let them cover the specifics.

Hedge your bets, and do both. :smuggo:

• Locked thread