Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If the finish looks good I say try cooking up a strip or two of bacon and see how it turns out. If they were well loved the finish should still be useable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

And if they're not, cook more bacon until it is.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
What's all this love for Griswold? They've smoother surfaces than other cast iron brands?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I was skeptical of the hype of vintage cast iron but I'm a believer now.

I believe that cast iron pans used to be sanded at the factory after the casting was done but this is not done any more on modern cast iron. Not sure if its because it isn't needed or just to save money.

My vintage griswold has a different density to the metal than my modern martha stewart pan does. Not sure why but the MS pan is heavier, thicker yet smaller in diameter compared to the gris.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Doh004 posted:

What's all this love for Griswold? They've smoother surfaces than other cast iron brands?

Griswald brand is your grandma's go to skillet. drat near indestructible, worn smoother than a river stone... They only get better with time.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I don't think there's anything stopping you from sanding a new cast iron pan, to get it closer to those vintage pans.

Johann Suit
May 24, 2006

Doh004 posted:

I don't own any newer pans so I can't make a comparison as far as functionality goes, though mine is supasmooth.

I personally like the idea that is ~~vintage~~ and that I'm cooking with a badass tool that's probably older than I am.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Doh004 posted:

Lodge works fine and can get non-stick enough to fry eggs easily. They can also be ground to be even more smooth. Griswold is just a bit nicer to work with and is smooth as silk.

And to the goon with a Sears skillet, start using it :)

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

I might get laughed out of town for this but I currently love my Lodge cast iron pan more than my gris or wag. I reseasoned all of my pans with flax seed oil about a month ago after doing the self cleaning oven cycle on them. Food slides around in my gris and wag wayyyyy too much for them to be any use but the bumps on the lodge provide just enough friction that I can get a spatula under my eggs. I scoffed at the flax method before but I'm a true believer now. It's really the way to go. Whatever factory residual that comes on the Lodge pan as "seasoning" sucks butt. The only nonstick pan I have now is the pot I make candy and kettle popcorn in.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
I feel like I have to try this flax oil thing for myself. Opinions are really divided on that versus "just cook bacon," and I want to know for sure. I've never been able to cook eggs without using a ton of oil.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you're going to do the flax thing, remove the seasoning on your current skillet first.

Also are you cooking your eggs on high? On mine the difference between eggs and stick and eggs that don't stick is high or medium heat.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ejstheman posted:

I feel like I have to try this flax oil thing for myself. Opinions are really divided on that versus "just cook bacon," and I want to know for sure. I've never been able to cook eggs without using a ton of oil.

I did the flax thing. Full-on sperg - 10 applications. Worked great, but would I do it again? Nah.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Doomy posted:

I don't think there's anything stopping you from sanding a new cast iron pan, to get it closer to those vintage pans.

Yeah, but given the sheer indestructibility of the vintage pans, there's a million of them out there for a couple bucks more than a new pan.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

If you're going to do the flax thing, remove the seasoning on your current skillet first.

Also are you cooking your eggs on high? On mine the difference between eggs and stick and eggs that don't stick is high or medium heat.

I have the knob like halfway up for scrambled eggs, usually. But I also cook them in nonstick every time unless I'm specifically doing an experiment in cast iron. If I'm trying for over easy, I use a slightly lower temp for a slightly longer time, so the egg has a thicker layer of doneness on the bottom and is more flippable. I basically repeatedly try to pick it up until it feels like it probably won't rip, then flip it and give it 10-15 seconds on the other side.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, but given the sheer indestructibility of the vintage pans, there's a million of them out there for a couple bucks more than a new pan.

This... Allow me to direct your attention to a recent acquisition which may or may not have been stolen from my mothers basement when I realized the atrocity before me. (She had it on a shelf collecting dust. Heresy I tell you...)

This is my Grandmothers Griswold #9 skillet. Purchased in June 1939 for $1.25 (it is weird how she can't get the names of us grand kids right but she remembers precisely where, when, and how much she paid for this drat thing...)

With the exception of the 3 years she has lived with my parents, This skillet has been in continuous use since it was purchased. It has replaced the Emril wedding gift skillet in 98% of everything cast iron related and still cooks like a champ! The only downside is that the wife has realized that it is a handy weapon.

There's a bigger Griswold down there somewhere, and I will find it...

Edit: Oh holy poo poo that's a big image, let me resize that...

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
okay so I was hunting around and found some deals online.
Lodge stuff
Size :Price
9cm(4") :$9
20cm(8") :$23
26cm(10") :$36
30cm(12") :$48

Then I found a set consisting of "Classica Cast Iron 22cm Fry Pan & 3.5L Saucepan" these are enameled white inside and a variety of colours outside both for $60. None of these have lids. What I'm asking, I suppose, is what do I do?

Edit: Sorry Door Door Door I should have mentioned I'm down under. So all prices are AUD$ and Amazon don't ship a lot of stuff here (and that is one of them)

Tasmantor fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 5, 2013

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Tasmantor posted:

okay so I was hunting around and found some deals online.
Lodge stuff
Size :Price
9cm(4") :$9
20cm(8") :$23
26cm(10") :$36
30cm(12") :$48

Then I found a set consisting of "Classica Cast Iron 22cm Fry Pan & 3.5L Saucepan" these are enameled white inside and a variety of colours outside both for $60. None of these have lids. What I'm asking, I suppose, is what do I do?

Don't know where you're looking but Amazon has a Lodge 12" skillet for $29. Enameled cast iron won't develop a seasoning and is better suited to dutch ovens where the enamel will allow you to cook acidic things like tomatoes.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I cook stuff real hot in my cast iron pan and I clean it with Dawn sometimes and other times I wipe it out. It's a big heavy hunk of metal not a delicate flower just cook with it.

It's a crummy Lodge 14" that I bought on Amazon in like 2006 and I've never spent a minute worrying about "what if the seasoning falls off" because I'm not on the autism spectrum.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
I usually just clean mine by throwing a bit of hot water in the pan and scraping any bits off with a metal spatula. My lodge is practically bump-free after about a decade of living on my stove.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

My grandmother related tales of taking her skillet out in the front yard, tossing in a handful of dirt, and giving a good scrub with a dishtowel. No water required.

I, on the other hand, appreciate hygiene and use water. Sometimes even a steel scrubbie if something is particularly baked-on. Soap on rare occasions. Will soap and/or acid-based dishes harm the seasoning? Sure, if you let it sit there and soak, which you shouldn't be doing with any piece of cookware.

noodlesinabag
Dec 25, 2009

The Midniter posted:

I did the flax thing. Full-on sperg - 10 applications. Worked great, but would I do it again? Nah.

I had about 5 years of seasoning on my Lodge cast iron but I was never satisfied with it... it was sort of non-stick but it never could compete with my teflon pans. So I decided to start from scratch.

I cleaned my pans using the self-clean cycle, followed by a nice scrub with detergent and warm water as shown in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Tz3HnnCFs

But I didn't really want to spend all day doing coatings of flax in the oven so I followed this method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4

I was able to do 3 coatings in an hour and called it a day. I didn't time anything, I didn't measure temperatures, I just heated the pan, let it heat up, threw a coat of oil on it, rubbed it off, let it get smoky, rubbed the pan again to get any pools that formed, then let the pan cool. Repeat. The worst part of this was the smell. Flax oil smells gross. Thank god the smell dissipates.

The next day I was able to make eggs over easy using the tiniest smidgen of butter so I called that a win. I was completely baffled by the result. I've been throwing on another coat after I use the pan so the pan is pretty well seasoned now. When I want to make eggs, I'll rub maybe about a quarter teaspoon of butter on my pan and I've cooked eggs for 6 people without having to regrease the pan in between eggs - it's that good now.

As for cleaning, I always clean my cast iron with a stainless steel wool pad, hot water, no soap (takes less than a minute). Wipe with a paper towel then let heat on the stove.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My girlfriends mom 'helped' with the dishes one time and I saw my cast-iron pan sitting in a sink full of bubbles. I yelled "Aaaaaaaah what are you doing!", rinsed it out, squirted a little oil on it, stuck it on the stove on high, forgot about it when I went in another room, the smoke alarm went off and the dog started going nuts and it turned into like a 2-day fight at the house.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

My girlfriends mom 'helped' with the dishes one time and I saw my cast-iron pan sitting in a sink full of bubbles. I yelled "Aaaaaaaah what are you doing!", rinsed it out, squirted a little oil on it, stuck it on the stove on high, forgot about it when I went in another room, the smoke alarm went off and the dog started going nuts and it turned into like a 2-day fight at the house.

And rightfully so, I thought all women knew how to handle Cast Iron. This should cause serious questioning as to how your girlfriend was raised and her effectiveness as a potential mate. In my family, such an atrocity would get you flogged, and not in the sexy time way...

That said, allow me to reveal a breakfast favorite that is impossible to gently caress up.

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits.

In your skilled, brown up 1lb of sausage. (or more, sausage is awesome!)

When it is browned, add in a heaping spoonful of flour and brown it in with the sausage. This will soak up the grease in the pan, no need to drain.

Then add milk a little at a time until you get the desired thickness of gravy, adding pepper to taste. If you water it down too much, add a little more flour.

This recipe is awesome because of how flexible and forgiving it is, toss some Grands biscuits in the oven and enjoy...

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
Nov 15:

quote:

As a Wedding gift, my wife and I received a few cast iron skillets. Aside from making grilled cheese and the occasional omelet, I have no goddamn clue what I am doing with these things...

Dec 7:

quote:

And rightfully so, I thought all women knew how to handle Cast Iron. This should cause serious questioning as to how your girlfriend was raised and her effectiveness as a potential mate. In my family, such an atrocity would get you flogged, and not in the sexy time way...

That was a quick dive into dogmatism.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

yep...

I have been redeemed, converted, whatever you want to call it.

HoneyVonBeerstein
Oct 13, 2012
I use my skillet quite often to roast veggies in. It gives them a nice crust. Beets, potatoes , turnips, or whatever sturdy veggies you have, animal fat, and salt.

I say ditto to making cornbread in it, especially if you make it with bacon fat.

I've also found that it's great for pineapple or apple upside down cake. The fruit gets really caramelized.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

HoneyVonBeerstein posted:

I use my skillet quite often to roast veggies in. It gives them a nice crust. Beets, potatoes , turnips, or whatever sturdy veggies you have, animal fat, and salt.

I say ditto to making cornbread in it, especially if you make it with bacon fat.

I've also found that it's great for pineapple or apple upside down cake. The fruit gets really caramelized.

cake... interesting...

HoneyVonBeerstein
Oct 13, 2012
I tell you, it's delicious. And it's only short steps from cornbread to cake. Though it definitely needs to be a cake with lots of sugar and fat, so it won't dry out while baking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I cook my steaks in dry cast iron because oil would smoke/spontaneously ignite at these temps and give a bad flavor. But the steak gets a good crust and releases just fine in a dry pan. No, the steak doesn't burn this way.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

That's a really good idea, not using oil. I cooked some salmon in a cast iron full of oil with a bit of butter, after smoking up the entire main floor of my house I was a little disappointed I might not get to do that again until bbq season next year.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I cook my steaks in dry cast iron because oil would smoke/spontaneously ignite at these temps and give a bad flavor. But the steak gets a good crust and releases just fine in a dry pan. No, the steak doesn't burn this way.

God I wish my stove could get to that.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Johann Suit posted:

I don't own any newer pans so I can't make a comparison as far as functionality goes, though mine is supasmooth.

I personally like the idea that is ~~vintage~~ and that I'm cooking with a badass tool that's probably older than I am.

I was lucky enough to inherit my grandmother's cast iron stuff when she died, since she knew nobody else in the family would appreciate them quite like I do.

Those things have got to the be 100+ old, at least. I'm pretty sure she got them from her parents/grandparents.

Most badass things in the world. I like to think I'm cooking with 100+ years of delicious food.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

MrDesaude posted:

That said, allow me to reveal a breakfast favorite that is impossible to gently caress up.

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits.

Yeah, just follow a decent bechamel ratio because that is all this is with pork fat in place of butter. I measure because autism and my eye for a good roux isn't as finely tuned as a crazed Cajun grandma.

And make your own biscuits. It is quick, cleans up easily, and your kids or breakfast guests will think it really cool to see a diner staple whipped up from scratch in front of them. It also allows conscription active participation from others cutting in the fat/tending the browning sausage/cutting the biscuits/arranging them on the sheet pan to make your life even easier keep them involved, entertained, and hopefully get them to try their own hand at it later.

Most importantly, sausage gravy and biscuits with a strong black coffee is pretty much the best breakfast for a day you know is going to be long and physical. Especially if followed with a slice of Apple pie with cheddar laid over top.

Or the best bachelor night supper.

I have become my grandfather. :corsair:

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

Butch Cassidy posted:

Most importantly, sausage gravy and biscuits with a strong black coffee is pretty much the best breakfast for a day you know is going to be long and physical. Especially if followed with a slice of Apple pie with cheddar laid over top.

Would love to see a good biscuit/gravy recipe!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Massive posted:

Would love to see a good biscuit/gravy recipe!

Okay:

Brown a pound of bulk sausage (breakfast, sage, hot breakfast, whatever) in a skillet. When done, remove the meat and you will probably be left with two tablespoons of fat. I measure and on the rare days I need more, bulk the rest with bacon fat or butter. Whisk a quarter cup of flour into the fat and cook it for a few minutes until it starts to change color. Gradually whisk in two cups of milk being sure to avoid lumps. Bring to a simmer until a little thinner than you want to serve. Salt and pepper to taste. Be generous with he pepper, black or white will work. Then mix the browned sausage back in. If it thickens too much, whisk in a splash of milk.

Alton Brown's buttermilk biscuit recipe from the episode of Good Eats with his grandmother is a solid and simple starting point for biscuit making and freezes well. Watch the episode, it does a nice job of describing the process and making it approachable. You can then fine tune your own biscuit recipe, but buttermilk is a necessary constant in biscuits worth a drat.

Real dorks may notice that the flour:fat ratio works out to somewhere between a regular and thick bechamel as described by Julia Child. And sausage gravy is a very tasty way to start playing with flour sauces.

E: Once you get a couple batches of sausage gravy under your belt, try tomato gravy and rice/biscuits/potatoes. :yum:

E2: sometimes, a quarter cup of flour is a bit much, you may want to start with 3 tablespoons of flour and bump it up to 3 1/2 or four (1/4 cup) on your next batch if you want thicker gravy.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 12, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's no need to pull the meat out. Sprinkle the flour over them meat once it's browned then brown the flour a little and add your milk. Stir and bring to a summer.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

True, but I get more consistent results pulling it v0v

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Hey thanks for the recipe, looks delicious.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Massive posted:

Hey thanks for the recipe, looks delicious.

:ssh: Want your cream sausage gravy extra rich and decadent? Use evaporated milk or cream instead of milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

GEEKABALL posted:

:ssh: Want your cream sausage gravy extra rich and decadent? Use evaporated milk or cream instead of milk.

Using cream makes it more diabetic friendly too! Of course you still have to deal with the biscuits then.

• Locked thread