Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

VERTiG0 posted:

What if your cast iron pan doesn't have a lid? Mine doesn't :(

Do you have an oven safe plate? Use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I might love my Griswold #8 more than my children :swoon:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Doh004 posted:

What's all this love for Griswold? They've smoother surfaces than other cast iron brands?

Lodge works fine and can get non-stick enough to fry eggs easily. They can also be ground to be even more smooth. Griswold is just a bit nicer to work with and is smooth as silk.

And to the goon with a Sears skillet, start using it :)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

MrDesaude posted:

That said, allow me to reveal a breakfast favorite that is impossible to gently caress up.

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits.

Yeah, just follow a decent bechamel ratio because that is all this is with pork fat in place of butter. I measure because autism and my eye for a good roux isn't as finely tuned as a crazed Cajun grandma.

And make your own biscuits. It is quick, cleans up easily, and your kids or breakfast guests will think it really cool to see a diner staple whipped up from scratch in front of them. It also allows conscription active participation from others cutting in the fat/tending the browning sausage/cutting the biscuits/arranging them on the sheet pan to make your life even easier keep them involved, entertained, and hopefully get them to try their own hand at it later.

Most importantly, sausage gravy and biscuits with a strong black coffee is pretty much the best breakfast for a day you know is going to be long and physical. Especially if followed with a slice of Apple pie with cheddar laid over top.

Or the best bachelor night supper.

I have become my grandfather. :corsair:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Massive posted:

Would love to see a good biscuit/gravy recipe!

Okay:

Brown a pound of bulk sausage (breakfast, sage, hot breakfast, whatever) in a skillet. When done, remove the meat and you will probably be left with two tablespoons of fat. I measure and on the rare days I need more, bulk the rest with bacon fat or butter. Whisk a quarter cup of flour into the fat and cook it for a few minutes until it starts to change color. Gradually whisk in two cups of milk being sure to avoid lumps. Bring to a simmer until a little thinner than you want to serve. Salt and pepper to taste. Be generous with he pepper, black or white will work. Then mix the browned sausage back in. If it thickens too much, whisk in a splash of milk.

Alton Brown's buttermilk biscuit recipe from the episode of Good Eats with his grandmother is a solid and simple starting point for biscuit making and freezes well. Watch the episode, it does a nice job of describing the process and making it approachable. You can then fine tune your own biscuit recipe, but buttermilk is a necessary constant in biscuits worth a drat.

Real dorks may notice that the flour:fat ratio works out to somewhere between a regular and thick bechamel as described by Julia Child. And sausage gravy is a very tasty way to start playing with flour sauces.

E: Once you get a couple batches of sausage gravy under your belt, try tomato gravy and rice/biscuits/potatoes. :yum:

E2: sometimes, a quarter cup of flour is a bit much, you may want to start with 3 tablespoons of flour and bump it up to 3 1/2 or four (1/4 cup) on your next batch if you want thicker gravy.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 12, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

True, but I get more consistent results pulling it v0v

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

GEEKABALL posted:

:ssh: Want your cream sausage gravy extra rich and decadent? Use evaporated milk or cream instead of milk.

I think this would kill me. Stuff's already crazy lumberman in winter chow.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Make a sacrifice of bread/milk/honey to your house spirit to thank them keeping your house from burning down. Then sacrifice some bacon to the skillet to mend any seasoning you may have damaged.

The iron itself will be fine, but I know my stove would remove the seasoning around the hot spot if I did that.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The thought of cleaning an iron measuring cup covered in honey or molasses is the stuff of nightmares.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I've never cared for butter bells and just opt to leave a covered dish with a few tablespoons of butter in the cabinet. It gets used before it goes off and I don't have to care about changing water or my kitchen getting hot as balls and splorking a half bell of near melty butter into the water.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My Griswald #8 is my favorite thing out of all of my stuff. My wife's grandmother was just going to junk it when she got a glass cooktop :stonk:

But I saved it and use it every day as it lives on the stovetop. Today, it will crank out some no-knead pizza with all of the anchovies.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Disco Salmon posted:

I won't go face first into the whole thing like Cookie Monster

Why do you hate fun? Delicious, gluttonous fun.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Another layer of your own oven seasoning won't hurt, but just use it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

atothesquiz posted:

If you're talking about the sleeves to put on the handles of cast iron pans, I personally them to be pretty useless.

Ever pull a skillet/sauce pan/whatever out of the oven and soon after absentmindedly grab the handle to move it, but it your hand? I like the little handle sleeves to slip on the handles after they come out as a reminder to myself.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Get some turnip going in there, as well, and it will be awesome.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

I'd get this one: Lodge L8DOL3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Dutch Oven with Dual Handles, 5-Quart
http://smile.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DOL...S4HK65AVCFHFW5Z

It's got the fewest goofy features.

I have this and like it quite a bit. It makes bread, beans, and roasts fine while being great for deepfry.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Cranked out a double tourtière filling in my Grandmother's ancient and crazy smooth no-name 12" skillet. Her also smooth as glass no-name 8" and whatever tiny-rear end nameless skillet nest nicely in my Griswold #8.

Between the stack of iron skillets and glass percolator, I feel like I belong in central Maine to apprentice under crotchety old Quebecois housewives. :feelsgood:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Leftover dough from a pepper steak pie, little bit of caramelized onion in need of using, some bacon/cheese/frozen peas/chives handy. Time to quiche:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

Is that the rest of the cast iron family in the corner I see?

The rest of the skillets in current service :)

Nevermind the 5 qt. Dutch oven, 12" Lodge skillet and Combo cooker in need of de-rusting and seasoning, a couple small no-name skillets, firepit griddle, 12" legged bread oven, Emeril smoker/roaster-thing, and some assorted other pieces.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Groggy morning. Time for something almost but not quite entirely unlike crêpes.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

gently caress Teflon, I have an 8" skillet and want a feta omelette:

gently caress plating, as well :effort:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Is it an enameled pan?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Found a cute little square skillet in need of a minimal cleanup. After I finish making alll of the square bento box omelettes, I will need more ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Hit the rust with a wirebrush, clean off the old factory wax coating, season with shortening, become a curmudgeon like the rest of us.

• Locked thread