Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
BEHOLD! I have purchased an old, rusty cast iron pan from the flea market!

(this was after giving it a bit of work and going "Ooooh, this is going to take awhile")
It's stamped USA on the back, I can only hope that's not Usa province in China.

Not oil in the shot (about a gallon of elbow grease from the sanding though), just some water I had to spray on to flush the rust particulate after the first boil. After boiling the thing off a few times and getting it clean and dry, it's managed to take a nice first layer of seasoning! All in the grill too. I shall fry some bacon in it tomorrow. It's a pretty neat pan, once I sanded the rust off, the cooking surface was super smooth even without seasoning.

:10bux: well spent I think.

edit: Weird, looking at the back again, it says 10 1/4 INCH SKILLET MADE IN USA but the handle is stamped with an 8.

\/\/Bitchin!\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I tested my pan with an omlette

It cooked in like 30 seconds. A little overdone, my own fault for getting the pan too hot. The seasoning is working fantastically.

Gonna make a stir fry tonight.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 28, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

You can make one chicken pot pie at a time.

Hey, you can only eat one at a time.

Can you get an english muffin snugly in it? I bet you could use that thing to make egg sandwiches. I had an aluminum pan like that, you could heat the pan first with half the muffin on the bottom, lightly toasting up. Fork that out, grease the pan and cook your ham. Flip it on to the first half of the muffin, then cook your egg with the other half of the muffin on top (left the egg a tiny bit runny, it also cooked what soaked into the bread for super deliciousness). I timed the whole process for one muffin at 8 minutes, very little cleanup.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
BABIES

Dutch Babies.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dutch-baby-recipe0.html

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Wood utensils all the way. I steam clean mine, and they're cheap, so you just bury them in the compost pile when they get too manky. Pressed Bamboo is good, you can get a bag of funky spatulas for ten bux.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bob Morales posted:

Use a copious amount of Dawn, if that can get BP oil off baby ducks it will get oil residue off a pan.

Then just make a couple lbs of bacon.

You don't even need to use that much Dawn. It's super concentrated. I laugh when I see people using these giant squirts of the straight stuff to clean one dish. A dab'll do 'er.

Protip, diluted Dawn is also the best dog shampoo in the world. A lot of professional dog groomer use it. It's what's in those blue gallon bottles you see by the tub, it'll degrease a labrador.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Marauder posted:

Question is, is it worthwhile to buy an old (smooth) Griswold or Wagner rather than just getting a cheap Lodge?

Find a flea market, scrap metal recycling place, or garage sale outside of biking range of hipsters. Ask, "Does anyone have any cast iron skillets?" Buy the heaviest, oldest one you can that preferably has USA stamped on it and does not have holes rusted through. Buy it for like 12 dollars. Go to your favorite Lowes or Home Depot or Ace and get a sandpaper block. Sand the poo poo out of your new best friend. Follow these directions.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-season-a-cast-iron-skillet-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-107614

It's like an hour of work, a few hours of keeping the oven or grill on. Then you have a new best cooking friend, that will quickly multiply into many new best friends as decades old cast iron is a cheap cooking high when you live in a world of flea markets and grandmas.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MrYenko posted:

:spergin:

IR thermometers don't use the laser for actual temp reading. It's only there for aim assistance.

:spergin:

I use the laser on mine to bother the cat. It's a multi-purpose tool, Alton would be so proud. Now to hope she never jumps on the stovetop after it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

So how warm is your cat?

The fur is an insulator, so it throws off the reading, but shes next to my lap at a comfortable 91 degrees. A most snuggly cat.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
One solution I heard for 'cant get the oven hot enough, live in an apartment' is, well, do you have a park nearby with outdoor grills? Pick up a firestarter candle and some lump charcoal (not the kind with accelerant in them already), have yourself a BBQ with the cast iron in the firebox. Lovely excuse for a winter picnic. Invite friends.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I live in a swamp, making rust prevention a daily battle. Which is why my cast iron drips with the fat of the conquered.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My cast iron pans never leaves my sight without a re-usable plastic tag I made up being re-applied that says "SUSPECT'S CAST IRON. DO NOT WASH WITHOUT INSTRUCTION. KEEP DRY." And then fierce little skulls glaring at you menacingly. I take it off when I cook. It has saved my seasoning twice now from overzealous scrubbing.

I need to get metal ones stamped, then I can leave them on all the time.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I'm thinking more along the lines of finding a new home for it. I think I'll look for a Boy Scout troop to donate it to.

Noooooo, give it to me, I'll take good care of it. We'll make pizzas and quiche and tons of bacon. Boy Scouts will kill it.

I'd faint if I saw a 15' for 20bux.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Drifter posted:

Outside of Nazi Germany I don't think you'll find a better deal for a fifteen footer.

Haha, you caught me. However, a 15 foot cast iron frying pan would be RAD as HELL. We could double the world's largest frittata record with it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I though that was a paella.

THATS a paella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

shankerz posted:

Doubbles as a security device.. when the Burgler jumps over your fence and into the hot 15 foot cast iron pan that hasnt cooled off yet since you cooked dinosaur ribs the evening prior.

Melted sneakers slide right off the surface of a well seasoned giant fuckoff pan!

• Locked thread