Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
I recently received an unseasoned Lodge cast iron pan that my friend received in 2006. He never cooked with it, and he threw it into storage with no protective coating or anything. The pan has a couple of patches of light rust, and I'm wondering how or if I can address that rust before I begin the seasoning process.

Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on inital seasoning would be appreciated. I'd looking toward using the oven/seasoning with shortning/oven method that I saw someplace but didnt save but I wanted some input before I cause myself more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Butch Cassidy posted:

Hit the rust with a wirebrush, clean off the old factory wax coating, season with shortening, become a curmudgeon like the rest of us.

I wasnt sure if a brush or sandpaper was the way to go, I'll use the brush :)

• Locked thread