Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

atothesquiz posted:

Yeah, that's why I mentioned that I found them useful for when the pan is hot and on the stove top and you want to do a quick shake or move it around. But that's about the extent of of their usefulness.

That said, I haven't tried the silicone sleeves so I can't comment on those.

Welding gloves or a decent oven gloves are the best option in my opinion.

Edit: I thought of something that I use all the time with my cast iron pans. An infrared thermometer. I love the thing! I throw my pans on high heat and then shoot the surface to make sure the pan is up to the temp I want for the partic

ular application. They're also useful for instantly checking for hotspots.

What gloves do you use? The ones I've looked at are big and bulky and I don't think I'd have good control of my iron using them. I don't think I have girly hands but maybe I do

E: yea infrared thermometer is awesome for the kitchen. Get one of you don't have one

Bob Saget IRL fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Don't pick on the Mormon

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Why do they need to be stripped? The only times I've seen pans that need to be redone is when they're neglected for long periods.

I don't know about the oven cleaners though, sorry. I like using a grinder or a drill with a steel brush on old rusty pans with lots of crusty gunk caked on, and that's what I recommend.
The oven as high as it goes might work. I accidentally left my lodge on my grill once and it took everything off. Best seasoning on it since and still building

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Planet X posted:

I think what I may do, like suggested, is find an outdoor grill. I know someone with a big gas grill, so perhaps I'll put them on there an let them get really hot and see what burns off. They're not a complete mess, but there are some burnt bits on the pan surface I'd like to get smoothed out. They haven't really been neglected, so maybe it's not necessary.

And heating them on the stove and scrapping with a metal spatula does nothing?

If you want to reseason go for it.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Some good advice. I havent made a steak on a skillet in a while but i was starting to think that there is a such thing as too hot. makes sense from my experiences. Last beef i did was burgers and i did them on medium, flipped often and had great results. Had a good crust and the whole patty was meduim rare; almost looked like a sous vide burger.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

I found a griswold #3. Took a drill brush to it, and made it look silver. I've cleaned a couple other old pans and they always look black still. I just thought i cleaned this one more. But i seasoned it, used it, but when i wipe it with a bit of paper towel it looks dirty. Like im wiping a drill bit after drilling through steel. Someone else posted abour chrome or nickel plated cast iron.. is thst what i got? Should i be treating it different? I need to know cause its great for a couple eggs.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When you strip off the seasoning, it should be silver underneath. If the pans you were cleaning before were still black, then you weren't cleaning them thoroughly. You need to wipe it really well with water after cleaning and dry it thoroughly to get off all the metal and seasoning bits you sanded off then immediately season so it doesn't rust, which it will attempt to do in a matter of minutes.

Here is one I recently refinished:

That explains why my wapak dutch ovens seasoning didnt last. The griswold is fine; i just just wasnt washing it out well enough and burning the little residue that remained.

Good stuff. Never go away, fgr. Youre my favorite poster.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

wormil posted:

I have scrubbed and scrubbed but you're right, I just need to keep on scrubbing. I've heard that boiling coca cola will get most of it off but haven't tried that yet. A little voice says that's a good way to get more poo poo stuck on the bottom because of all the sugar. Sometime when I get stuff stuck on the bottom of cast iron I get it really hot and pour tap cold water on it. The shock busts it loose but I hesitate doing this enamel.

Cola sounds like a troll.

The couple times I've got stuff stuck, I'll either let some vinegar soak in it, or I'll put it on the stove on low with some water and the lid on and leave it for a couple hours.

I also read somewhere to treat it like regular cast iron, as in after washing it, heat it back up, wipe it with a touch of oil and then turn the heat off when it just starts to smoke. Haven't had an issue since, and it's been easier to clean too. Especially after spanish rice.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Maangchi`s fried rice is delicious and works in a skillet.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/bokkeumbap

I recommend watching her video on it. I follow her seasoning, but use carrots, greeen beans, peas, and corn with whatever meat i have. Its been great every time. I usually marinate whatever meat with more of a chinese marinade, but it works great.

Following her recipe, i think my skillet is a bit small, so my rice comes out real moist. It works though, especailly when reheating.

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Pics or it didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

I made a new thread, and plan to keep the OP updated with useful info as others post.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694651

• Locked thread