Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Anyone got a recipe for lobster? My wife says it's possible to use cast iron to cook it. I'm skeptical... anyone try it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Why couldn't you cook it in cast iron? Lobster, however, being extremely low in fat would stick on its own more than a meat higher in fat content. The solution of course, is to use butter. Shitloads of butter, which should brown nicely over medium heat.

Ok so I got the courage to try it. Used 6 sticks of butter. Probally too much butter but it came out perfect. It pretty much boiled the lobster in butter in the castiron pan.

Wife and I were very happy how it turned out. Thanks for the advice :)

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

ascendance posted:

Lol, sounds like you independently created Thomas Keller's butter poached lobster. That poo poo was delicious. Now that I have a kid on the way, I may never spend that much money on a single meal again.

You could probably bottle the "lobster butter" and sell it at a local farmer's market. I hope you didn't throw it out, because I can only imagine the looks of shock and horror on this thread.

O yeah, we tossed it. Didnt know you could save that? Going to make another 2.0 version of butter lobster for my parents this weekend... any advice people???? Love the cast iron!

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

ascendance posted:

The Thomas Keller recipe is a slow poach - the lobster is soaked in a lower temp butter so it just soaks in all that butter like a sponge.

You can basically save any cooking oil. I believe Alton Brown describes a rig for separating and filtering oils after frying, so you can reuse it.

I'm going to try this... sounds amazing... But see i use live lobster do i boil them 1st to kill it or just whack it over the head. Don't think its nice to use lower temp butter to cook them lol sounds cruel.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

ascendance posted:

The Thomas Keller recipe involves steeping the lobster, which means pouring boiling water and vinegar on the lobster, shucking, then poaching in butter.

Going to try this out this weekend. Very excited to see how it comes out.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!
Anyone have some ideas for proper maintenance and storage of the cast iron pan? I was told by a friend to rub olive oil on it before you put it away to prevent rust?

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Drifter posted:

Steve Yun was the first to have the best advice for it.

Enough oil to wipe away with a paper towel (honestly, you don't even have to wipe it out if you get the right-tiny- amount of oil in there) and leave your pan shiny, but not so much that there's any actual liquid still in there that might drip out.

To expand on cleaning it if there's poo poo that's really stuck on there that a brushing won't take care of immediately

I use my pan pretty much everyday, so I just keep it on the stovetop. I own a lid for it that I cover it with to keep dust and poo poo from floating into it, though. You could keep it in the oven, and you can even leave it in the oven while you are cooking other food in there, so long as there's room. It'll help radiate heat even more evenly.

Lastly, when you cook with the pan, let it get up to temp. If you just start cooking as soon as you place it on the stove you'll get some severe hot spots and come to hate cast iron. But you would be the monster, in truth.

This works perfect! I did this the other day and took my pan out tonight to make a steak and it wasn't rusted at all! Recommend the above way.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Noooooo, give it to me, I'll take good care of it. We'll make pizzas and quiche and tons of bacon. Boy Scouts will kill it.

I'd faint if I saw a 15' for 20bux.

That's a crazy cheap price for a 20 bucks...... what's the catch?

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Uber Kosh posted:

How do you guys season the bottom of your pans? I fear mine is starting to rust and my oven is too small to fit it.

I'm thinking invert the pan over the (gas) hotplate, and fry up some stuff that way, then clean and re-season the inner pan surface.

Thoughts?

Hotplate might not get it hot enough. If you have a backyard I would build a campfire and place it on it and then reseason it and oil it lighty.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Haha, you caught me. However, a 15 foot cast iron frying pan would be RAD as HELL. We could double the world's largest frittata record with it.

Doubbles as a security device.. when the Burgler jumps over your fence and into the hot 15 foot cast iron pan that hasnt cooled off yet since you cooked dinosaur ribs the evening prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Melted sneakers slide right off the surface of a well seasoned giant fuckoff pan!

I'm assuming unless they coated them in some anti-lava thing like the volcano explores wear that it would just melt them down to their pelvis bone. That would take some time to melt through :)

• Locked thread