Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ejstheman posted:

Assuming you've sanded a cast-iron skillet to the desired smoothness, how do you clean off the metal dust in a food-safe way? I'm thinking of sanding only the flat part of the pan and not the sides, since that way I can use my power sander, but I'm concerned about ending up with iron filings embedded in the remaining seasoning, which is presumably softer than iron, since they could get in my food later. Should I hit the whole thing with oven cleaner and completely reseason it?

Sand it and then wipe the other surfaces down with some scotchbrite, rinse all surfaces thoroughly and then reseason as required.

I'm completely in love with the 80+ year old griswold I recently bought, works much better and holds the seasoning much better than my former martha stewart cast iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
If the finish looks good I say try cooking up a strip or two of bacon and see how it turns out. If they were well loved the finish should still be useable.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I was skeptical of the hype of vintage cast iron but I'm a believer now.

I believe that cast iron pans used to be sanded at the factory after the casting was done but this is not done any more on modern cast iron. Not sure if its because it isn't needed or just to save money.

My vintage griswold has a different density to the metal than my modern martha stewart pan does. Not sure why but the MS pan is heavier, thicker yet smaller in diameter compared to the gris.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Seems like you could easily do that recipe in a cast iron Dutch oven and the splatter would be less of a problem

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That looks pretty goddamn legit.

Anyone have any more good recipes or things outside the obvious that work out well?

Thank you for reminding me of the joys cast iron brings, thread!

Dutch babies.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Cast iron isn't as 'even heating' as some people make it out to be. If you put it on the stove and crank the burner up you're going to get a big hot spot right in the middle

When I do steaks I do them right around medium heat. I know that doesn't mean much because every stove is different, but I don't do them anywhere near as hot as I can go. And do use a little bit of oil because I don't want that 'scorched' surface, it's not like on a grill where I can go as hot as I can stand it.

I almost get a little bit of a of fried crust on them.

To help with the heat dispersion in the CI, I've taken to putting the pan in the oven at 400-450 for 20-30 mins and then putting it on the stove for the sear.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Don't even worry about it.

You can hit it with some steel wool and put a bit of oil on it like you would season the inside of the pan but you're not going to have to worry about the rust eating up the pan or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Agreed, the sugar content just ends up being a detriment

• Locked thread