Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Tasmantor posted:

okay so I was hunting around and found some deals online.
Lodge stuff
Size :Price
9cm(4") :$9
20cm(8") :$23
26cm(10") :$36
30cm(12") :$48

Then I found a set consisting of "Classica Cast Iron 22cm Fry Pan & 3.5L Saucepan" these are enameled white inside and a variety of colours outside both for $60. None of these have lids. What I'm asking, I suppose, is what do I do?

Don't know where you're looking but Amazon has a Lodge 12" skillet for $29. Enameled cast iron won't develop a seasoning and is better suited to dutch ovens where the enamel will allow you to cook acidic things like tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Captain Trips posted:

How exactly does cooking bacon help the seasoning, anyway? Is there something I should be doing with the grease, or is it just "cook bacon, receive seasoning"?

After you finish the bacon, drain (save) the grease and use a paper towel to wipe out what's left the in the skillet. That should leave you with a very fine layer of bacon grease still in the pan. Crank the heat to high, and as the grease starts smoking, wipe the pan down with another paper towel. Repeat a few times until the surface of the pan is no longer shiny but slightly dull. Congratulations, you've just added to the seasoning your skillet same with.

e: beaten

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

spankmeister posted:

How do you season the walls of a cast iron pot effectively? The bottom is starting to develop a seasoning but the walls remain rough and sticky.

Also a (fairly shallow) wok b/c all the oil keeps pooling in the bottom.

Also also this is a cool thread and now I need a skillet.

Season it in the oven instead of just on the stovetop after cooking in it. Put the pan on the rack upside down.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

What I do is wipe the excess oil/fat/grease mostly out with a paper towel, throw it back on the burner until it just starts to smoke, then take it off the heat and wipe the rest of the oil out. That way you get a little polymerization action each time you use the pan.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I think most of the tiny skillets were sold as ashtrays.

My parents have one they use for a spoon rest and it's pretty great.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Welding gloves. They're designed to handle temps way higher than your oven can produce, have individual fingers, and are like 10 bucks a pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Don't strip it, just cook some stuff at lower temperatures and oil it up, then heat it till it just starts to smoke on the stove after you're done each time.

• Locked thread