Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Blinding Light, Soulreaver, Water utility, and both Rayas.

She's going to be pretty good, the temptation is going to be trying to fit in all those good 4-drop spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N256
Dec 30, 2009
"Sins of Betrayal" announced for October. https://www.duelofchampions.com/en/news/sobannouncement They posted a new champion to the page.
When it says dark creatures, it makes me hope for some magic-aligned neutral creatures that aren't uniques, and not just a small exception made for shi-no-shi, lurker, and hasafah.
I wouldn't be surprised if this one is cashout expensive. Their last expansion was a big push on the cheap side and new player experience, but it fell flat for getting new players.

N256 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 11, 2014

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Why does Anastasya look so drat moe in that banner

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

inthesto posted:

Why does Anastasya look so drat moe in that banner
Isn't she undead? I guess when you make a 10 year old girl a vampire or lich you end up with an immoetal?

Also Kiril is by far the best of the previewed heroes. Irina would be massively improved by being 1/2/0.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
The three school heroes would probably be too good at 1/2/0. The necro one that exists would probably be too much with some better spell schools.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Asalah in the pit for the next seven hours.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It has been confirmed by CMs that tuesday 12 EST / 9 PST will have an epic in the pit, and friday 12 ESt / 9 PST will have a hero in the pit (for eight hours as is the usual), ongoing from now on until they decide to stop doing so.

edit: Bunch of news from the CMs and developers here https://www.duelofchampions.com/en/news/dev-diary-sins-of-betrayal

Basically, Masfar is dead and gone, all of the Invokers are changed to 1/2/0, they are changing the first/second turn imbalance and WCs will be from the pit not from dailies. Also no WCs and possibly, no tickets or so it sounds from dailies. But who really cares about tickets when the WC changes go in anyway.

Shaar is really, really good after the patch.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 18, 2014

N256
Dec 30, 2009
Big changes announced: https://www.duelofchampions.com/en/news/dev-diary-sins-of-betrayal

Highlights:

You get 1 wildcard for each 1000 gold earned in the pit
Daily quests let you choose between two factions, but no longer give wildcards
Turns are reworked and the second player gets a card similar to "the coin" from hearthstone
Nerf to various cards including chain casting and bloodsnake.

I haven't done the math, but I suspect you end up with fewer wildcards. The other changes are very good.

EDIT: Whoops didn't see the edit above. Good thing I have 70 tickets :)

N256 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 18, 2014

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
No hero ability for playing first seems like a bit much, but everything else looks nice. BSS nerf is definitely deserved, and the similar nerf to Titan Workforce is hilarious.

N256
Dec 30, 2009
Toghrul in the pit for the next 4 hours

EDIT: Keep in mind you'll get wildcards for sacrifices after the update, but I doubt they'll keep this Heroic and Epic card thing going every week once that's in place.

N256 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 19, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wildcard weekend, you get half your WCs spent back at the end of the weekend.

I just spent like sixty buying a forbidden flame, malik and fireballs too ARGH. Oh well, B2G1 on Wolf Captains is helpful enough. Should probably finish that drat swiss achievement and get the void rising box

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
1 might Shaar? Yesssss

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the balancing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just a reminder that Wildcard Weekend is ending in a couple hours - Any WCs you spend during the promotion you get 50% back.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There is a promotion running from the 25th for about a week where if you level 5 times above level 50 or 7 times between 10 and 50 that you get 3 free Sins packs during the prerelease period or something. The reward is set, but the exact time you get the reward isn't.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
I think somebody on Reddit calculated that it would take a minimum of 30 hours.

e: without XP boosters

dad on the rag fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 25, 2014

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!

LiftAuff posted:

I think somebody on Reddit calculated that it would take a minimum of 30 hours.

e: without XP boosters

If you're level 200+. It's something like 20 hours for me at level 15.

The event is a good idea but I think they've grossly overestimated how much people play in a week. Time to burn those xp boosters I guess.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BS1 foiled Kal-Azaar in the pit for the next seven ish hours. Probably not worth it but if you're ever looking to do the 500 seals BS1 all premium deck you must acquire a premium hero to do it, and that is probably the trickiest part if you didn't open one. He is a good choice for that since he has 3 spell schools.

I just picked him up since I am pretty close to finishing all of BS1 and I need him, and as it turns out I finished the Inferno heroes achievement and got 3 XP boosts from it! Which will be helpful this week...

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Vafthrudnir posted:

The event is a good idea but I think they've grossly overestimated how much people play in a week. Time to burn those xp boosters I guess.

Pretty sure that's the entire point.

Vafthrudnir
Apr 6, 2009

FRUNGY! FRUNGY! FRUNGY!

inthesto posted:

Pretty sure that's the entire point.

Well, I gave up at the first day so I'm not sure if it's working.

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
Just started playing this game for a break from Hearthstone, it's pretty interesting.

I'm not exactly optimistic about it's future though, looking at the Steam active players chart over the last year.

How terrible is Ubi's marketing department, really? They've paid Trump to do a video series on the game but neither they nor he are promoting it at all, the videos are just dumped on his YouTube channel.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Bizarro Buddha posted:

How terrible is Ubi's marketing department, really? They've paid Trump to do a video series on the game but neither they nor he are promoting it at all, the videos are just dumped on his YouTube channel.

Really loving bad

Brilliant Marketing Strategies posted:

Minimum lvl is set to 100 in order to prevent trolls and slackers (if you feel sad because you dont have such high lvl --> play hard bro and you will be in next time)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think that was just written by the guy who ran the sealed deck tournament. There are lots of stupid marketing quotes from ubi employees though, tons of "learn 2 play nub" and poo poo in the balancing forum. The quote about how daily quests are optional (so gently caress you if you can't win a swiss tournament to unlock your ability to get wildcards again) and the marketing speak re: the daily quests being shipped broken or how they finessed the stuff about quest dropping to make it sound like they put in rerolls are good highlights too.

It does highlight the other massive problem of the game: the tournaments, or lack thereof. Swiss is an absolute joke - I sure do love playing no MMR 1 game rushes with no SBing at all. Brilliant! And Jackpot is basically predicated on a thousand people wasting their time, so you can get a little more gold - so there's basically no tournament support whatsoever.

And R2P doesn't count, if it isn't run entirely in client, it is also a joke.

They put lots of effort into the game itself but the minute you get away from 1v1 dueling there is just nothing.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Been a long time since I played this game, started yesterday and I've noticed an annoying grahical bug where unit stats will show up on dumb things like fortune cards and buildings with nothing on them, also effect icons on units dont properly update until I right click them, I've tried reinstalling already, didn't do anything.

EDIT -- Also there are bots in the game now?

Tha_Joker_GAmer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 1, 2014

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Liu posted:

Been a long time since I played this game, started yesterday and I've noticed an annoying grahical bug where unit stats will show up on dumb things like fortune cards and buildings with nothing on them, also effect icons on units dont properly update until I right click them, I've tried reinstalling already, didn't do anything.

EDIT -- Also there are bots in the game now?

I haven't encountered that bug before. Are you playing in windowed for fullscreen? Try changing your view to see if it helps. Do stuff like update your videocard drivers, but you probably already did that.

I did a quick search, and there may be some functional bots out there, but I don't think it's very widespread.

So when is the expansion releasing?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Probably wednesday next week, like the last two times. Spoiler stream is tomorrow. So burnt out from the 5 levels thing, urgh.

Worth noting, they are changing it so swiss tickets can be acquired with gold, which is going to make the set release really weird depending on how much tickets cost. It is also going to be really funny seeing where they tune the swiss dailies, because of course they couldn't possibly remove irritating dailies or add new not-irritating ones.

I am looking forward to Skillfull Leader, still misspelled, paying out 15k with tickets costing 10k.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wait nope I'm wrong, Spoiler stream nowish, then Sins releases this afternoon during downtime.

edit: Well no I'm ... something? I don't know. Here is the full spoiler: http://www.mmdoctools.com/cards?search=1&name=&type[]=0&rarity[]=0&faction[]=0&school[]=0&set[]=s07&format=0&size=big

Apparently you can get sins packs from swisses, but no other way, other than your enrolment (lol) packs. I opened junk.

edit edit: holy gently caress is this patch bad and imprudent. Maybe its just because I left an old haven daily in my queue, but they nerfed dailies across the board AND haven is completely hosed up with the current cardpool. Tithe collector and Barracks are both awful if you're the starting player, instead of being good. I saw basically 100% Inferno and Stronghold in Standard in like 20 games.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 3, 2014

N256
Dec 30, 2009
Kenage in the pit right now. They've also enabled wildcards for every 1000 gold. If you don't have him you should definitely get him.

They've upgraded swisses to give 3 packs of supercards for first place (1 of each expansion, they still give wildcards), 3 regular packs of the same for second place, and the extra pack given randomly is now a regular pack of the new expansion + a ticket. Time to play a zillion swisses.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I'm actually quite impressed with the changes. The first second winrate seems more even and the one cost creatures are useful for everyone now that there is a 1 resource turn for player 2. Rush might be a little too strong as a result but there are worse things.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
For some reason, the campaign hasn't changed systems completely. Both players start at 1 res like normal, but you always play first and you can still pump MMD. Also, the AI doesn't get the dragon crystal.

How did ubisoft even manage to pull this off :psyduck:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It is really half-assed. The change over is good, but they didn't redesign or rebalance the game at all, so the results are loopy. I like Newborn Vampire in Sveltana and Ancient Ghost in Fleshbane, for example.

N256
Dec 30, 2009
If you want some easy swisses, there's a very cheap namtaru deck that is winning most of them and all but a couple of the cards are from the new expansion. http://www.mmdoctools.com/decks?search=1&page=1&name=&hero%5B%5D=12&format=all&rating=0. I recommend the decks that only go to 3 might for graveyard. Use Namtaru's ability liberally.

This is even worse than Acamas was. Unfortunately it's catching on.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SoB timer ticks down at noon EST on thursday, or thereabouts. But if you were planning on buying some SoB cards through steam, they're up in the store now. This launch is pretty weird.

People on reddit state it works fine.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
With Sins of Betrayal out, I've been experimenting with a new deck. At its core, it's Haven light tribal, and I've nicknamed it Let There Be Light. It's a control deck that defends with fire spells and fat weenies early, and then bursts with fatties that are hard to remove due to Alia's ability. In its current incarnation, it's 6-6. Not great, but better than expected since I'm pretty terrible at building and constructing control decks. Some notes and questions:

- Mini-Anael and Shi-no-Shi are both notably missing. I'm thinking of putting Mini-Anael back in. Originally I removed her since her ETB/attack trigger removes Holy Light counters too (:wtc:), but now that I run 2 of them (rather than the 4 I originally had), she might reclaim her spot. Shi-no-Shi is out because I really like keeping MMD curves low and jacking might up to 6 leads to awkward situations in the mid-game, but the dark ward is great especially in the absence of more Holy Lighthouses.

- The core of this deck is somewhat solid, but it's still up in the air which hero runs it the best. Alia has the distinct advantages of her activated ability being able to lock the board in the mid-game and fire magic being able to defend against aggro off the bat. Morgan gets water magic which is overall better and he doesn't have to hang on death's door if he has a bad early game, but at the same time he has to pump up to 3 destiny and has to wait until 3 magic to get his good spells. He also really needs Shrine of Elrath, which is hard to fit into the deck. Cassandra is also a contender due to 1/1/2 giving her easy tactics, campfires, and bridges (and hall of memories is another fortune to contend with), but she also has to deal with the fact that air magic is still mostly doo-doo.

- It's hard to decide how many Holy Lighthouses to fit in. Against anyone with dark magic, the building really breaks their back. Additionally, a Mini-Anael on a lighthouse is really tough to deal with. On the other hand, it's dead weight if the opponent doesn't have dark magic, and at that point you'll want Revised Tactics, but only Cassandra can realistically fit that in. (Just put in sideboarding, Ubisoft :argh:)

I could also use some general pointers on how to build and play control decks in general. I played Kieran aggro for so long, it's hard to figure out how to play past turn 8 anymore.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 10, 2014

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Looks like an interesting deck. Someone posted a comment on it "needs more light creatures" -- which I kinda agree with.

I want to get back into MMDOC eventually. I'll make sure I update the OP this weekend with info on the new expansion, etc.

Also, if there's ever a sale going on for expansion cards, someone say something! I wanna buy cards on the cheap.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's hard to find more light creatures to fit in. Crusader Watchman and Vanguard are more useful than Healing Sister and Wolf Priest/Griffin Battle Priest thanks to Alia's active. Angel of Mercy requires 2 destiny, and everything else tilts the resource curve too high and turns the deck into a goldfish for 4 turns, which is no good in the current aggro-heavy metagame.

The real problem is that resource ramping doesn't do much good as it's impossible to play most creatures ahead of curve if you play first now. It might work for Morgan who gets superior control thanks to water magic. vOv

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dahbadu posted:

Also, if there's ever a sale going on for expansion cards, someone say something! I wanna buy cards on the cheap.
Weirdly, you're sort of in luck - there is a 50% refund on SoB boxes this weekend. You get half the seals back at the end of the weekend.

Goes to gold probably between the 22nd and 25th. I'm betting on the 25th, though the 29th is also possible.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
http://www.reddit.com/r/duelofchampions/comments/2jn3xx/steam_puzzles_for_3_cents_equates_to_this_much/

Easy way to get gold/WCs if you have a bunch of old Steam accounts and not that much work if you automate it. Made around ~300,000 gold and ~250 WC in an hour.

N256
Dec 30, 2009

LiftAuff posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/duelofchampions/comments/2jn3xx/steam_puzzles_for_3_cents_equates_to_this_much/

Easy way to get gold/WCs if you have a bunch of old Steam accounts and not that much work if you automate it. Made around ~300,000 gold and ~250 WC in an hour.

Why do you have over 10 steam accounts?

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

N256 posted:

Why do you have over 10 steam accounts?

Old Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike Source, and Counter-Strike GO accounts plus a bunch of accounts with bundle garbage that I idled for cards with SAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

LiftAuff posted:

Yeah, I figured this out during the summer promo, and the hassle of making a pile of new steam accounts shut down my plans of buying new packs for $.06 each.

And you have to wait some amount of time to trade the decks over to new accounts.

• Locked thread